Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New guy here with an Audi S4 project  (Read 2095 times)
phillybuilt

« on: December 05, 2023, 07:37:58 PM »

Hello, just picked up an Audi S4 with the 2.7T engine, car is stuck on ALS 4k RPM matter what gear or speed. Did all the basic electrical diagnostics and VCDS work to verify all my inputs are good. At this point, I believe that I need to read my bin file. After all my research, I'm hoping that the idiots who had it before me put the VNMX at 125 km/h instead of 1.25 but who knows. I've been doing hours of reading the S4 wiki and I still haven't connected to the ECU through Nefmoto yet. Not because I can't, just making sure that I have everything correct before I even try to copy my bin file. Don't want to brick my ECU. Appreciate all the information on here and I look forward to learning more.
aef

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 01:13:47 AM »

Welcome,

by reading the flash you wont brick anything.

phillybuilt

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 04:06:12 AM »

But I potentially can brick it by altering the file is what I learned. Better safe than sorry, right? I will take my time, continue with research instead of rushing into anything. Thank you for your reply. I will make a new thread in the proper place when I get the files read and uploaded.
prj

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 04:20:03 AM »

But I potentially can brick it by altering the file is what I learned. Better safe than sorry, right? I will take my time, continue with research instead of rushing into anything. Thank you for your reply. I will make a new thread in the proper place when I get the files read and uploaded.

If your car has stock injectors/turbos/maf just read out what is in there and then flash the stock file with the same number.
Chances of bricking anything extremely small.

If you are still worried, then buy another ECU from eBay or whatever - they cost peanuts, and work on that only, and do not touch your current one.
Then you always have a working point to go back to.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
phillybuilt

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 08:23:37 AM »

That's where my problem lies. I bought the car as a project, had a hurt engine and blown clutch hydraulics. Has K04/K24 hybrids, injectors (unsure of size), larger SMIC's and MAF housing, full exhaust, etc. Car made 480 whp in current setup with a healthy engine. So I believe that I need to go in and edit out the AL/NLS and leave everything else alone. And from reading S4 wiki, I'm hoping I can alter the VNMX to nothing and leave everything else alone. I did make one mistake, thought I could use the Ross tech cable but it doesn't work for dumb boot anymore, at least the nee cables they sell. So the blue cable should be here in the next day or two so I can read my files, which I will be asking for advice on if I cannot find the problem myself. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate more knowledgeable people chiming in.
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 03:57:14 PM »

That's where my problem lies. I bought the car as a project, had a hurt engine and blown clutch hydraulics. Has K04/K24 hybrids, injectors (unsure of size), larger SMIC's and MAF housing, full exhaust, etc. Car made 480 whp in current setup with a healthy engine. So I believe that I need to go in and edit out the AL/NLS and leave everything else alone. And from reading S4 wiki, I'm hoping I can alter the VNMX to nothing and leave everything else alone. I did make one mistake, thought I could use the Ross tech cable but it doesn't work for dumb boot anymore, at least the nee cables they sell. So the blue cable should be here in the next day or two so I can read my files, which I will be asking for advice on if I cannot find the problem myself. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate more knowledgeable people chiming in.
You may want to boot mode read the file out on that then, you may not be able to read the file out threw the port if it was modified.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
phillybuilt

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 04:28:08 PM »

Now if the tune was from someone who does remote tuning, would that still be the case? Sorry if that's a stupid question.
phillybuilt

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 07:34:00 AM »

You may want to boot mode read the file out on that then, you may not be able to read the file out threw the port if it was modified.
I was able to connect NefMoto through KWP2000, but not boot mode. I tried all the different baud rates. Do I need to physically ground a pin out to enter boot mode? I thought that was a Galletto thing but I could have read it wrong. I did not attempt to read the file after reading your reply.

Sorry again for all the stupid questions. I had ECMlink on an eagle talon of mine back in the day. So much easier to tune. At least once I figure out how to use the programs I won't have to ask what AFR i should be chasing after!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

_nameless

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 09:06:12 AM »

I was able to connect NefMoto through KWP2000, but not boot mode. I tried all the different baud rates. Do I need to physically ground a pin out to enter boot mode? I thought that was a Galletto thing but I could have read it wrong. I did not attempt to read the file after reading your reply.

Sorry again for all the stupid questions. I had ECMlink on an eagle talon of mine back in the day. So much easier to tune. At least once I figure out how to use the programs I won't have to ask what AFR i should be chasing after!

Nefmoto shows the option for boot mode however, it does not do anything as the program was never finished. You need to use some other tool like the arcarric Galletto 1260 that's floating around. You will need to modify the serial number in the ft232rl cable using something like mprog to match the serial number galletto software looks for otherwise the program wont work. Other option is to spend a little bit of money and buy something, even the cheap mpps clones work fine and have boot mode baked in. Do not buy MPPS v18 clone, you will only have a handful of uses before the cable kills itself, they are a bad clone and after a few uses the software will not see the cable, known bug that exists in the software. Its the same cable that is used on version 16 but if its used once on v18 it will brick the cable after regardless if only used on v16 after. Clone kess and ktag work fine on this ecu too, kess even has a bootmode option for this ecu too. My advice would be to buy a clone kess as that will flash your ecu, do the checksums, and generally work fine for the low price of like $35-$60 bucks depending on where you get it from. Also in order to read something out in bootmode the ecu needs to be open and the boot pin needs to be shorted to have the ecu power up in bootmode.   

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
phillybuilt

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 09:34:44 AM »

Nefmoto shows the option for boot mode however, it does not do anything as the program was never finished. You need to use some other tool like the arcarric Galletto 1260 that's floating around. You will need to modify the serial number in the ft232rl cable using something like mprog to match the serial number galletto software looks for otherwise the program wont work. Other option is to spend a little bit of money and buy something, even the cheap mpps clones work fine and have boot mode baked in. Do not buy MPPS v18 clone, you will only have a handful of uses before the cable kills itself, they are a bad clone and after a few uses the software will not see the cable, known bug that exists in the software. Its the same cable that is used on version 16 but if its used once on v18 it will brick the cable after regardless if only used on v16 after. Clone kess and ktag work fine on this ecu too, kess even has a bootmode option for this ecu too. My advice would be to buy a clone kess as that will flash your ecu, do the checksums, and generally work fine for the low price of like $35-$60 bucks depending on where you get it from. Also in order to read something out in bootmode the ecu needs to be open and the boot pin needs to be shorted to have the ecu power up in bootmode. 

Thank you for your reply and your insight. $60 is nothing in the long run, especially if it can do checksums. And I will avoid MPPS V18 like the plague. I was hoping to do everything with tunerpro and nefmoto because I thought the alternative was big money. I will do some research on clone kess. Also, not sure if you saw my first response, but if this tune was done by a remote tuner, would I still need to go through boot mode to read everything?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 12:37:26 PM »

Thank you for your reply and your insight. $60 is nothing in the long run, especially if it can do checksums. A

checksums can be done for free with me7sum

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
phillybuilt

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 01:18:03 PM »

checksums can be done for free with me7sum
Thank you nyet. That was my first plan of action, if I was able to read and rewrite through nefmoto. Nothing can be easy.

Did attempt to connect, no problems there. Thought I would try to read the flash just because. But when I went to read the ECU, it said unable to verify layout. I was using the 29F800BB layout as well. Not sure what that's about.

Ordered an ECU connector to build a semi-proper boot mode harness. It would be nice to fix this without boot mode, but I'll be ready in case it comes to that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: