Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: How to control a water methanol injection with a RS4 551K ECU  (Read 29172 times)
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:55:43 AM »

If I don't get distracted, I'm going to see if I can patch this code into the 551M ECU. I don't think it should be that hard, once I finish finding out how it is all hooked up in the 551K.

Then again, maybe all of the guys with S4s should just convert their ECUs to the RS4 version, and update the tuning data to match the S4 engine.

Doesn't the RS4 also have an exhaust system flap that is controlled by the ECU?

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »

If it weren't for the German guys like you coming to the forum, there would be a lot less interesting stuff happening here. Smiley

True! Thank you all for contributing.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

Then again, maybe all of the guys with S4s should just convert their ECUs to the RS4 version, and update the tuning data to match the S4 engine.

I am planning on doing this time permitting

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:06 AM »

Maybe we should start another thread to discuss what data needs to be changed to run an RS4 ECU flash on an S4 ECU and engine...

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
RS4boost

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »

NVM means "never mind".

If it weren't for the German guys like you coming to the forum, there would be a lot less interesting stuff happening here. Smiley

Thanks for the explanation  Wink and for your praise to the german ones. Smiley

I must say, this is a great forum with very nice and open people here.
It is a pleasure to share informations in this forum.

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:24:29 AM by RS4boost » Logged

RS4boost

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

Doesn't the RS4 also have an exhaust system flap that is controlled by the ECU?

No, the RS4 B5 has no exhaust flap.

Only the newer RS4 B7 with MED9.1 has two ones.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:30:51 AM by RS4boost » Logged

jibberjive

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »

Under way Grin
s5fourdoor

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »

Do we set this table to all 0's for s4 users?  Or is this a table that controls something but doesn't relate back to other engine calculations?
cactusgreens4

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »

So what happened here? It would appear this idea went no where. Is there information about porting this feature to the 551m box or any information on what maps need to be changed in order to run a 551k bin on the s4? Lastly, does anyone have  any information on tuning this to control w/m or how you would go about hooking it up to control a pump. Maybe with a little more detail than the obvious... with a relay and adding a pin in what I believe to be location 44 on the ecu harness?
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »

When I was using MAP ( 0-5 volts ) voltage to regulate flow of my Variable metered W/M Injection ( Cooling-mist Vari-Cool 2, dual nozzle pre-throttle body ), I found that I had a fairly reliable "Injection meter request source".   But, since changing to  injection flow based on Boost ( using actual boost pressure hose connected to Vari-Cool 2 programmable flow meter and digitl boost gauge to boot ), Imy AIT's seem to be more in line with what is required based on load, ambient temps, etc...!

Does anyone see fault in using actual boost pressure fro "T" split at FPR, or in using boost psi period as opposed to MAP voltages??     Given that the W/M flow is variable based on boost, starting at about 6 psi and maxing out at 15 psi, I find that the power increase is substantial and certainly worth using Methanol/H20 mix. 

Do a 60/40 mix water to Toluene/Xylene and really feel the difference!

Anyway, I had to play around with my setup for weeks before finding just the right mix ratio and flow based on boost.   Just curious how others have managed.      One last question, does anyone have any data suggestion that W/M injection does, in any way, boost octane?  I've heard varying stories and differing opinions on this issue.
julex

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »

When I was using MAP ( 0-5 volts ) voltage to regulate flow of my Variable metered W/M Injection ( Cooling-mist Vari-Cool 2, dual nozzle pre-throttle body ), I found that I had a fairly reliable "Injection meter request source".   But, since changing to  injection flow based on Boost ( using actual boost pressure hose connected to Vari-Cool 2 programmable flow meter and digitl boost gauge to boot ), Imy AIT's seem to be more in line with what is required based on load, ambient temps, etc...!

Does anyone see fault in using actual boost pressure fro "T" split at FPR, or in using boost psi period as opposed to MAP voltages??     Given that the W/M flow is variable based on boost, starting at about 6 psi and maxing out at 15 psi, I find that the power increase is substantial and certainly worth using Methanol/H20 mix. 

Do a 60/40 mix water to Toluene/Xylene and really feel the difference!

Anyway, I had to play around with my setup for weeks before finding just the right mix ratio and flow based on boost.   Just curious how others have managed.      One last question, does anyone have any data suggestion that W/M injection does, in any way, boost octane?  I've heard varying stories and differing opinions on this issue.

I'll be changing my W/M system to read off injector duty cycle. This is the only reliable way to ensure you get consistent amount of meth per fuel/air ingested. Any other method will be inherently non-linear. MAP will cause less and less meth as RPMs rise going into each cylinder. MAF sensors voltage is non-linear so very similar issue with non-linearity arises. Injector DC is linear though so that's the way to go.
em.Euro.R18

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »

This is some great info! I love the ingenuity by the OP.

I wonder the same concept can be done utilizing evap or even SAI pump in 1.8t applications. It will take me a bit to rummage through the documents to see which maps are involved.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »

I'll be changing my W/M system to read off injector duty cycle. This is the only reliable way to ensure you get consistent amount of meth per fuel/air ingested. Any other method will be inherently non-linear. MAP will cause less and less meth as RPMs rise going into each cylinder. MAF sensors voltage is non-linear so very similar issue with non-linearity arises. Injector DC is linear though so that's the way to go.

Julex, I like your idea of using injector duty cycle, it makes perfect sense.  I've searched and searched the Audi forums and I've yet to find the mention of such an idea. I would imagine that your idea would involve tapping into the injector harness, if not, where else would you acces the duty signal?

If you don't mind me asking, at what point to you begin W/M injection and at what point do you reach max W/M injection?  Also, are you running dual nozzles and how many inches pre Throttle Body have you positioned the nozzle/s?

Sorry for the questions, but I find the best way to learn, is to listen to those who know better.

Thanks!!
julex

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

Julex, I like your idea of using injector duty cycle, it makes perfect sense.  I've searched and searched the Audi forums and I've yet to find the mention of such an idea. I would imagine that your idea would involve tapping into the injector harness, if not, where else would you acces the duty signal?

If you don't mind me asking, at what point to you begin W/M injection and at what point do you reach max W/M injection?  Also, are you running dual nozzles and how many inches pre Throttle Body have you positioned the nozzle/s?

Sorry for the questions, but I find the best way to learn, is to listen to those who know better.

Thanks!!

There are a couple of WM controllers on the market that can take Injector DC signal (AEM and snowperformance or whatever they are called). I have an older devil's own system and will keep that. I will be making my own 12v DC to 5V linear converter (simple stuff, three electronic components involved) but for new install just get one of the systems that can take natively.

Signal would come from any of the 6 injectors.

My system is completely custom set up so the info would have no relevance to your situation. I have three nozzles, 2 x D05 and one D03. They are monuted to up-pipes, standard set up soemthign like 10" from throttle. This is for Tial 770 running 32-34 psi of boost though. The signal comes from MAF not MAP as usual. I set it up so that it starts activating at around 15psi @ 3.5k and goes 100% when I reach max flow on my MAF at 7.5k rpms, or rather at the values the sensor reaches at these points wuring WOT pull. Close enough for me but I will be  switching to Injector DC soon.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »

There are a couple of WM controllers on the market that can take Injector DC signal (AEM and snowperformance or whatever they are called). I have an older devil's own system and will keep that. I will be making my own 12v DC to 5V linear converter (simple stuff, three electronic components involved) but for new install just get one of the systems that can take natively.

Signal would come from any of the 6 injectors.

My system is completely custom set up so the info would have no relevance to your situation. I have three nozzles, 2 x D05 and one D03. They are monuted to up-pipes, standard set up soemthign like 10" from throttle. This is for Tial 770 running 32-34 psi of boost though. The signal comes from MAF not MAP as usual. I set it up so that it starts activating at around 15psi @ 3.5k and goes 100% when I reach max flow on my MAF at 7.5k rpms, or rather at the values the sensor reaches at these points wuring WOT pull. Close enough for me but I will be  switching to Injector DC soon.

I believe that my Coolongmist Vari-Cool 2 controller will allow for such a activating signal, but not sure, so I will have to do some searching, maybe even call Coolingmist.  I do have 2 D03 nozzles and they are both on the up pipes and about 10" from TB. I have the 1.5 gallon "Devils Own" trunk mount tank and 200 psi pump.

I'm lucky in that my GF works for a company that makes Methanol, Xylene, Toluene and such, so I get what does not meet the buyer's standards ( very minor and insignificant for my application ).

n a side note, I've noticed that a 60/40 Water-to-Xylene mix works best, but I am a bit dubious about using it for fear of seal damage. Also, cannot mix 50/50 w/Xylene as the mixture at that ratio is unstable and very flamable.

Excellent and novel idea you have and it looks like it's back to school for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: