Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 034 vs jackal  (Read 1477 times)
vwmaniac

« on: August 27, 2024, 06:47:26 AM »

who else watched the video? thoughts? i thought it was pretty well put together and i liked seeing map comparisons but overall not surprising. https://youtu.be/6yJ5HNcTl-Q?si=uUw8yNzieLtX83gB
d3irb

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 12:17:24 PM »

Who is the target audience of this video? None of their customers (and certainly no Jackal customers) are actually going to understand anything they said. Why use the binaries where there will now be constant accusations of theft rather than just using logs, which present a more accurate picture of what's actually going on?

The file they were looking at just looks like a typical file service file with a bunch of needless limiters removed to make things easy for training wheels tuners plus all of the usual hackery and fudging used to bypass the pre-Simos18 airmass variables capping out, combined with typical low-effort hack job tuning like only changing the last row and relying on interpolation rather than rescaling axes to get resolution back. Certainly it is junk but not any kind of abnormal junk.

I think that they wanted to show off and flex about having an ASW patch to deal with the airmass variable saturation issue and perhaps the other torque reporting issues, but they didn't want to "give it away" by actually saying what they do. So instead they danced around by BSing a bunch of random and somewhat irrelevant stuff. None of their actual explanations were really well thought out, and they never actually showed anything (like logs!) to back up their assertions. For example, they showed a bunch of fudged airmass maps (this is the normal hack way to do things on pre-Simos18 Continental ECUs without an ASW patch) but didn't show the actual resulting torque reporting in an actual driving situation.

I don't think they're wrong about Jackal tunes being low-effort file service grade junk, but their method of "proving" it and their resulting video seemed wildly off base to me. If I were them I would have done some pulls in a Jackal car and done a detailed second-by-second log analysis with a clear explanation to the potential customer about how the Jackal tune wasn't performing correctly, rather than going into a bunch of irrelevant calibration ranting.

I did get a good "nut swingers and trolls" meme clip video out of it though so I'm happy.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2024, 12:24:02 PM »

Agreed on all of that

The clueless nutswinger is an unsolvable problem, regardless.

That hasn't changed in 30 years, though the rise of social media has made it worse every year that passes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 12:25:56 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwmaniac

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2024, 07:19:17 AM »

Logs would have been a good idea, that would have been obvious proof of the torque reporting problem. I take for granted my knowledge of the torque reporting and dsg operation correlation because of what i learned about it. Majority of people who watch the video don't understand what they are looking at so I think it misses the mark a little bit. Pretty clear in B8 groups its become a tribal issue now.
mtb703

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 12:23:43 PM »

Who is the target audience of this video?

Facebook 3.0t groups generally.  There have been a couple Jackal "product evangelists" trashing 034 constantly on there for some time, along with a dyno comparison video.  034 response was essentially, "yes, here's why they make a touch more power".  If you aren't on those groups, this video may appear to have come out of nowhere. 

I don't have a problem with that, but I think they could have better explained some things.  And there were other things in the Jackal file they could have covered. 
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 09:04:08 PM »

So they bought a tune file and map pack from an ols supplier and made it "better" by giving it the ff treatment. Neat.

Giving your mom a tuneup
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: