Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taking it step by step, but now I'm stuck.  (Read 8974 times)
f1torrents

« on: November 01, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »

Well here is my sob story.
I decided to take it slow and do a step by step process to not run into mishaps and such.

-I got the tools together. -- Galletto 1260, KWP2000+, VCDS, VAGDASHCAN 5.17, KKL Cable, VAGTACHO,
-Made a reliable bench flash setup
-Got the software --Nefmoto, Tuner Pro, Winols (the free one from there website), ME7 checksum checker, me795040 tool , ME7 tuner wizard.
-Got testing ECU's to play with of varying types of "boxes"
-Learned to flash the FLASHROM and 95040 EEPROM in CPU mode and BOOT MODE
-Learned how to manipulate the 95040 EEPROM. - IMMO on/off, change VIN, Change SKC, clone from other ECU's

Now. I wanted to start learning to tune. I have a APR stage 1 tune that I don't want to touch. So I only cloned the 95040 EEPROM for the IMMO.

I have a exact model ECU with the stock FLASHROM and EEPROM as well as my ECU's 95040 EEPROM.

I am trying to figure out how to get these "definition" files  the .xdf tuner pro uses or damos.

I have found a few for other ECU's that are close to mine but are not compatible.
Do I buy these files somewhere? Am I not looking hard enough? Do I have to make them?
This seems to be the missing link for me.
I know I will have a steep learning curve when it comes to the actual tuning but I love the work and the learning process.This has become a favorite hobby of mine.
I am not looking for someone to do my work only some direction as to this definition file problem.
I have read of people swapping boxes. Say a A box for a M box and such. Is this something I would have to do just because the definition file is available?
Or are they switching for other reasons unrelated?

My info.

2004 AUDI A4 1.8t AMB 6sp Quattro USA
ECU = 8E0 909 518 AK

Thank you for any advice you can put my way.

prj

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »

You will pretty much need to find the maps in your software to tune.
You can cross flash the ECU to something else, but it really depends on the car and the engine and if the other engine is exactly the same or not.

Best way is to find all the important maps... you can find most of it just going hex diving and comparing two stock binaries - one where a good map pack is available, and the other - unknown binary.

The only thing that are really hard to find like this are one byte constants, especially if they are different value and different layout. For that there is no other way, other than trying to buy a definition from someone if available or disassembling the binary and finding them in the code.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »

I'm doing the same thing now, as there are now commonly available xdfs for the ecu I'm playing with. Good luck, it's quite daunting, but considering the popularity of the 1.8, there have got to be a lot of common map locations (with other xdfs).

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Bische

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »

Use the HN definition Argdub uploaded and compare in 2d mode, start with an easy map like KFZW(2).

I have found everything I have been looking for using that def and a TT def for my 518M box.

Also compare with rob.mwpropane's definition, that one matches up damn good also.
f1torrents

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:54 PM »

Thank you for the tips.

I was not aware I could simply "open just a XDF file"

Am I using tuner pro for this? I ask becuse the HN file does not come in a XDF format. Only winols format.

phila_dot

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

Thank you for the tips.

Am I using tuner pro for this? I ask becuse the HN file does not come in a XDF format. Only winols format.

You can open just an xdf, but that does you no good without the binary.

Tunerpro sucks for finding maps and examining hex. Use WinOLS, test version is fine for this.
Bosse

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »

I am at this point to,so i desided to learn ols, so i found this document.It is the best for understanding axis,offsets,maps.
All credits to the creator.
After hours compering maps,downloaded ori and mods.I`m starting to get the hang of it.
This stuff do take time,but it`s fun.

rob.mwpropane

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »

Thank you for the tips.

Think of xdf/map packs as definition files, and binaries as the computer code. I know that's probably obvious, but it should be noted that they are not one in the same. You can load any xdf(tunerpro)/ols(winols) files, but if its not matched with the correct binary, it doesn't do you any good. As phila pointed out, tunerpro is crap for searching through the binary. As someone else said, search winols in 2d. Things from different binaries will start to look similar.

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
f1torrents

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »

"Things from different binaries will start to look similar"

This is the part I don't quite understand how to do. Its the comparing.
I understand the relationship between the definition and the binary, But how I can compare two different ones is confusing me.

For example..
Say I have a known address from a definition for a specific map. Lets say boost to make it simple.

-Address 0x123 is where boost is on binary A... (GREAT)

-I want to find boost map on binary B with no definition so I then start comparing what exactally?
Obviously the address 0x123 from binary A is useless.

Am I just seeing what the Hex looks like in Binary A and then going looking in Binary B for something that looks the same.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Bische

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »

Yes, you will be looking for patterns. Switch to 2D mode in Winols and you will see these patterns in a 2D curve.
k0mpresd

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 11:14:41 AM »

Am I just seeing what the Hex looks like in Binary A and then going looking in Binary B for something that looks the same.

yes.
cerips

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »

Have a read of this website http://www.motronic.ws/index.htm

especially http://www.motronic.ws/map201.htm , http://www.motronic.ws/map301.htm and http://www.motronic.ws/maptable.htm

You can now look at the map axis identifiers and the map size on a known binary and look for similar maps on the unknown binary.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: