Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can't get WinOLS to open  (Read 28466 times)
amd is the best

« on: November 07, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

I can't seem to get WinOLS to function properly. It installs flawlessly but when I open the application, it brings up the loading screen then just shuts right down. No error, warning or notification of any kind.

I've tried the newest version demo and one of the older versions.

I am running windows XP in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on my Mac. I've tried compatibility mode and running as admin. No go.

Last night I went as far as building a new XP VM, no go. Built a Win7 VM, no go. All do exactly the same thing.

Any one have any idea?

2012 Golf TDI
2001 Audi A4 2.8 30v Supercharged
1991 Audi 200 20v
amd is the best

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »

Looks like it has something to do with VMWare.  I opened the same VM in Parallels and WinOLS opens fine.  Looking for settings/options in VMWare to enable/disable in order to get it to work properly.  FWIW, the host doesn't matter.  The same thing happens between my work Windows 7 x64 PC running VMWare Player, my i7 MacBook Air and my i7 iMac both running VMWare Fusion 5.0.1.

I will report back.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:39:03 PM by amd is the best » Logged

2012 Golf TDI
2001 Audi A4 2.8 30v Supercharged
1991 Audi 200 20v
sweegie

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »

Yes, WinOLS actively checks if it's running an VM and silently quits without warning. If you pop the following line in your VMX config file, all should be resolved.

isolation.tools.getVersion.disable = "TRUE"
hutchb2

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »

Did that fix the issue? I'm having the same issue: trying to get WinOLS 2.24 to run on VMfusion. It ran well on a native win7 machine but now that I've transitioned to VM it does not. When launching from the desktop shortcut, I get an error window saying "This program can not be run under VMWare!". I get a different error message when launching ols.exe directly: "problem occurred reading config file ols.cfg. Problem code: cfg-12a".

Any words of wisdom?
sweegie

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »

This line should hide VMware pretty effectively from applications within VM's that are looking to detect it. There's a few others you can try if you need, but this line alone works well for me running WinOLS 2.24
Axis

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »

This line should hide VMware pretty effectively from applications within VM's that are looking to detect it. There's a few others you can try if you need, but this line alone works well for me running WinOLS 2.24
Which vmware do you use?  I've never had any luck hiding the fact that it is running on vm.
hutchb2

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »

Strange how that line would fix the issue for some people but not for me (for version 2.24). Anyway, I was able to get 1.7 to work so I should be set. I might try 2.24 again later but presently don't have anymore patience for it.
sweegie

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

Using workstation 8 here, but this vmx parameter is known to work on anything recent including ESX.

There are other parameters you can add (listed below), but i've found them unnecessary with the getversion.disable parameter. Certainly for OLS 1.5, 1.7 and 2.24 that i've tried.

monitor_control.virtual_rdtsc = "false"
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"
isolation.tools.getPtrLocation.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.setPtrLocation.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.setVersion.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.getVersion.disable = "true"
monitor_control.disable_directexec = "true"
hutchb2

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »

Using workstation 8 here, but this vmx parameter is known to work on anything recent including ESX.

There are other parameters you can add (listed below), but i've found them unnecessary with the getversion.disable parameter. Certainly for OLS 1.5, 1.7 and 2.24 that i've tried.

monitor_control.virtual_rdtsc = "false"
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"
isolation.tools.getPtrLocation.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.setPtrLocation.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.setVersion.disable = "true"
isolation.tools.getVersion.disable = "true"
monitor_control.disable_directexec = "true"

Much appreciated. I'll give these a try when I find the motivation. Any reason not to add them all to the end of the config file?
sweegie

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:35:09 AM »

Nope, add away.... Just stop adding when it works Wink
masterj

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 02:26:41 AM »

Any info on virtualbox settings? Freaking Enigma protector is annoying as f.

tbm

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »

Any info on virtualbox settings? Freaking Enigma protector is annoying as f.
Hi,

Have you managed to overcome the issue with VirtualBox? I've managed to solve this one only with VMware Sad
amin25

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 07:27:53 AM »

Go to your virtual machine path and open VMware virtual machine configuration with text editor (ex : windows 7.vmx)
write at the bottom
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "True"
Enjoy Smiley
DragosRMN

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »

I know this is an old post but if anyone encounters this on VirtualBox. You have to uninstall Guest Additions and it'll work fine
badaca

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 07:31:18 AM »

Go to your virtual machine path and open VMware virtual machine configuration with text editor (ex : windows 7.vmx)
write at the bottom
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "True"
Enjoy Smiley

I tested this with a VMWare XP Pro VM and WinOls 2.4 and it worked. Thank You!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: