Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rant: I HATE forums for file distribution  (Read 11826 times)
nyet
Administrator

« on: January 10, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »

In particular, the file definitions and stock file image sections are an unsearchable mess.

Whatever happened to setting up simple ftp server and putting files in a useful hierarchy?

I swear to god forum software has made people dumber.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Rabbid

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:51 AM »

Cheesy Grin Cool
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »

I just use a google site-specific search. I rarely get useful results searching from within the forum.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »

Which doesn't really help me if i'm trying to build a coherent library of images and definition files... there is NO way for me to even dump all the uploaded files from a section (that I can tell)

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »

Which doesn't really help me if i'm trying to build a coherent library of images and definition files... there is NO way for me to even dump all the uploaded files from a section (that I can tell)

Can probably be done with wget...

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
rnagy86

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »

Talk to Tony, he can probably give you a huge tarball of all of the attachments.
daverdfw

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

why not use a wiki type of page, and store the files on something like dropbox ?

Just setup a wiki and separate by Make/Model/ECU type?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

why not use a wiki type of page, and store the files on something like dropbox ?

Just setup a wiki and separate by Make/Model/ECU type?

The problem isn't setting up the page; the problem is extracting all the files from the forum software

A normal *plain*, file only, webhost with directory indexing turned on is just fine.

ECUx Plot

rnagy86

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 01:32:34 PM »

Just made this small script for you which should get all the stuff you want. Just modify the regexp to your needs. It should recursively walk the forum and I hopefully managed to get all the necessary links.

http://pbot.rmdir.de/2f8dcdad06d55a5781055cf3d2a7155e

Of course you have to have you cookies exported to ~/cookies.txt . This works fine for that: http://tokland.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/chromium/chromium-cookies-to-netscape.sh

--

And if we want people to upload to a nice central place I think a FTP can be provided... I won't register/install just to be able to use dropbox.

Oh and I a almost forgot: I am not sure if uploading files containing map switching for example is 100% okay in case someone gets sued by the holder of the patent. I am not familiar with the exact law but I am not sure if the host of the file cannot be forced to shut down. Highly unlikely I guess but still.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:49:11 PM by rnagy86 » Logged
savages4

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »

I think this forum software specifically has a really really poor search function, I have pulled my hair out over this as well. 
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

guys, this isn't a search problem. This a problem when forums are used to archive a lot of files that would be better stored in a directory hierarchy.

ECUx Plot

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »

Oh and I a almost forgot: I am not sure if uploading files containing map switching for example is 100% okay in case someone gets sued by the holder of the patent. I am not familiar with the exact law but I am not sure if the host of the file cannot be forced to shut down. Highly unlikely I guess but still.

this would be solely for stock images and definition files.

ECUx Plot

rnagy86

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

this would be solely for stock images and definition files.

If you want to provide this i am happy to mirror it. Also i am happy to provide storage for this as well.
savages4

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

I agree to some extent, but compared to vbulliten this search script blows on this software.  If you aren't searching from the main forum index no results even render most of the time... Just saying.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »

I don't care how good/bad the search is. The fact is that message boards are making people retarded when it comes to hosting files. Wrong tool for the job. Files should be stored in a hierarchy, like a normal filesystem.

The only rational substitute is a searchable database *dedicated* and *specifically designed for* ECU images and definition files.

ECUx Plot

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: