Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: LPG tuning  (Read 42951 times)
cocktailyogi

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 02:16:13 AM »

Hi guys,

this really nice information.

In the end I am interested i a setup whre I can use the same mappig for LPG and petrol.

I have a theoretical question: Under the same circumstances and same AFR : Is the EGT with petrol higher than with LPG?

Because in a standard-LPG-conversion nobody touches the ECU-mapping. So at high loads AFR/lambda on LPG will be adjusted like in petrol mode. lets say somethink like lambda<=0.8. This is in petrol mode done because of the cooling effect of liquid fuels. But if on a standard-LPG-conversion, the LPG will run at same AFR  without killing the enigne.

Lets do another gedankenexperiment:
If I switch of BTS and move to LAMFA-only-mode and adjust lambda to 0.9 on high loads. Will it really kill my exhaust-system in petrol-mode and not in LPG-mode?!? Sure, cooling effect of petrol is missing, but it is always missing in LPG mode. So what will happen?

Won't it be better to adjust lambda to 0.9 in a mixed setup of petrol and LPG?

Map switching will be the best option, sure, but it is a little bit overkill at the moment for my setup.

My actual questions are:
1. For a driving setup of 10% petrol and 90% on LPG will it be better to leave ECU-mas in stock-mode with low AFR and liquid cooling or adjust the mapping to LPG.
2. Which is worst case scenario?
a) driving with petrol-mapping on LPG in full load (low lambda/AFR)
b) driving with LPG-mappig (lamda=0.9) on petrol in full load
c) is it comparable?

Yogi
prj

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 04:40:39 AM »

In the end I am interested i a setup whre I can use the same mappig for LPG and petrol.
Then you need map switching.
I have a theoretical question: Under the same circumstances and same AFR : Is the EGT with petrol higher than with LPG?
Lower than 0.9 lambda and EGT goes very quickly very high on LPG. That is why on most turbo cars with LPG conversion where nothing is done to the ECU the head and valves are scrap metal after 100 000km.

If I switch of BTS and move to LAMFA-only-mode and adjust lambda to 0.9 on high loads. Will it really kill my exhaust-system in petrol-mode and not in LPG-mode?!? Sure, cooling effect of petrol is missing, but it is always missing in LPG mode. So what will happen?
On LPG the EGT is lower in general, also the timing advance is better and that helps even more. But this changes if you put too much fuel in, as there is no cooling effect and the LPG will keep burning when being exhausted and basically the exhaust ports on the head and the valves will be screwed.

Map switching is the only right way. Or keep it like it is, and make it switch from LPG to petrol any time you go anywhere near the throttle or higher RPM.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
cocktailyogi

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 04:56:56 AM »

Thanks for your info, PRJ

On LPG the EGT is lower in general, also the timing advance is better and that helps even more. But this changes if you put too much fuel in, as there is no cooling effect and the LPG will keep burning when being exhausted and basically the exhaust ports on the head and the valves will be screwed.

I am actually considering of taking the risk because it seems to be my best option... LPG-conversion is almost done and it seems to produce lower EGTs than with stock mapping. I don't really like the LPG/petrol-switchover-version.  Roll Eyes

But what about petrol-EGT@lambda=0.9? no cooling effect, okay, but HOW dangerous is it for my EGT in comparison to LPG-mode? Has anybody some figures?

Yogi
papasound

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:20 AM »

While we are here -  could  Someone please point me to some reasonable and affordable map switching solution for me7.5, i like this idea more and more. Thx

Friends will never leave friends on stock.
prj

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 06:23:49 AM »

I am actually considering of taking the risk because it seems to be my best option... LPG-conversion is almost done and it seems to produce lower EGTs than with stock mapping. I don't really like the LPG/petrol-switchover-version.  Roll Eyes
I wonder why you don't like it because that is the only way to do it correctly.
But what about petrol-EGT@lambda=0.9? no cooling effect, okay, but HOW dangerous is it for my EGT in comparison to LPG-mode? Has anybody some figures?
Yeah, you will melt your engine very quickly if you run high boost and lambda 0.9, especially in higher gears on gasoline and 1.8T.

Log your car properly.
cocktailyogi

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 01:30:26 PM »

Hi,

thanks for the info. Have you got a source for the thesis, that EGT goes upon LPG, when lambda goes lower than 0.9?

This would be very interesting to me. I have also seen some LPG-damaged engines, but on all of them reason for the failure was a bad LPG-conversion. The AFR-mixture went very lean on high rpms in high gears and caused the engines to melt.

So any source of information about LPG-EGT-temperatures is interesting to me.

Yogi
prj

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »

Source of thesis? lol.
Very basic thing of tuning gaseous fuels, but hey, if you don't believe me, then get an EGT gauge and look for yourself.

Log your car properly.
cocktailyogi

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 12:28:47 AM »

Hey Prj,

relax ;-) I believe you, but I understand me too, please. Believing is religion. This is technology, it is about facts. I am trying to learn and understand this things. If it is a very basic thing about tuning gaseous fuels, it should be easy to show me a link or a reference, where I can find this information and more. Maybe a book or an internetlink?

An the most important thing: I am very happy, that you take your time to help us with this LPG-thing. I know very well, that this is not a matter of course, that somebody invests his time to explain some foreign noobs some complicated things on the web.

Yogi

prj

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 03:31:05 AM »

If it is a very basic thing about tuning gaseous fuels, it should be easy to show me a link or a reference, where I can find this information and more. Maybe a book or an internetlink?

I told you exactly what to do, if you are not happy with that, do your own research.
I am not going to spoon feed you google links and PDF's. Your attitude sucks - give a finger and you try to take an arm!

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

I happen to like his attitude about religion, though.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
cocktailyogi

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

Hi prj,

Your attitude sucks - give a finger and you try to take an arm!

I am very sorry, if you feel like this. This was not my ambition.

Yogi

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »

FWIW I did not sense any attitude in your post.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
lezsi

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »

Come on guys, let's get on-topic!

I'm publishing my current LPG tune based on ideas written here, and some other valuable info from this great site Smiley

This is for a stockish AUQ engine, DBW, wideband, VVT

Things included -theoretically Smiley

1. Power/boost level: stock, ~180HP
2. Ignition advance: low-load & low-rpm : increased ~ 3-7 degrees.
   High-rpm : stock
   High-load : stock (experienced knock with high-load@low-rpm using higher values)
3. General fueling: lean-burn lambda=1.09 all over the place, excepting idle which is 0.99, and high load which is 0.9-0.94
4. Warm-up enrichment: above 27deg C (switch-over to LPG) it is almost cut to zero. 
It stays on for very low inj. PWs because many LPG injectors have a tendency to "stuck" and needs enrichment until getting to working temps.
5. Acceleration enrichment/ Wall wetting : disabled above 27 deg C.
6. EGT component protection disabled/limited to lambda=0.9
7. Ignition dwells corrected to new 2.0TFSI values -which coils seem to be the very same as the new original 1.8T replacements
8. Extra economy: CAT heating and wobbling around idle mixture disabled,
 catalyst conf. disabled, SAI disabled, idle torque reserve disabled
9. Error code handling: SAI outputs diag. disabled, Leak diag restricted to higher RPM (DTC 17705 resolve)

I consider this setting to be "safe" and smooth for high octane petrol use also, -not for pushing hard on petrol.

Experience: I've a few months of normal commuting use and a few LPG-tank refills on this setup; seems fine so far.

- starting and cruising is smooth, even in cold weather. powerful when pushed hard
- error codes of cat. efficiency, vac. leaks, fuel trim "rich", SAI problems, etc. disappeared : no DTCs at all.
- City fuel consumption reduced from ~13l/100km to ~11l/100km (LPG) on same routes and pace

Any comments welcome! Smiley

prj

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »

3. General fueling: lean-burn lambda=1.09 all over the place, excepting idle which is 0.99, and high load which is 0.9-0.94
Why would you go lambda 1.09? This hurts fuel economy, as it's too lean. 1.05 is enough.
Not to mention, I am curious how you achieved it? Hacking the O2 sensor voltage? ME7 won't request leaner than 1.0 without ASM hacks.
idle torque reserve disabled
This is a bad idea, as won't make any difference for fuel economy, and will hurt drivability.

Log your car properly.
lezsi

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »

Why would you go lambda 1.09? This hurts fuel economy, as it's too lean. 1.05 is enough.
Not to mention, I am curious how you achieved it? Hacking the O2 sensor voltage? ME7 won't request leaner than 1.0 without ASM hacks.This is a bad idea, as won't make any difference for fuel economy, and will hurt drivability.

There's a debate on what lean lambda is best for economy. I've seen values from 1.05 to 1.15, not sure which one works best on this engine so I picked a middle-value.  It is not dyno proven yet AFAIK.

It is set by a target lambda constant in the binary (just like other config values). It is called LAMBDIAG "LAMKO" constant here at nefmoto. You're right that it's not defined as a free-to-change value in FR or anywhere.   It is @67944 in this HN binary BTW.

I've seen no disadvantage of disabling KFMRES torque, to be honest there's no difference in engine idle at all. Besides from running at normal 10-20deg ignition advance instead of ridiculous 0 degs and so.  KFMRESK is stock, so when the clutch is depressed, voila there's the torque reserve again. -And yes, idle consumption is better this way.

My attachment disappeared from the previous post, strange.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: