Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2003 allroad 6spd  (Read 29041 times)
m4ttflynn

« on: March 14, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »

Hey guys,
I'm really new on here, but would like to start getting into logging and tuning my car.
First off, some details:
2003 (US) BEL allroad 6spd with APR stage 1 tune +Frankenturbos with larger inlets (plus tires are slightly larger diameter if that matters??)
ECU part number ends in R

Once I installed the frankenturbos, I was having problems with overboost.  I've remedied this with an mbc in parallel to the ebc, but I want to be sure I'm not killing anything the way it's set up.

I want to start by logging some stuff to really know what going on.  I have a VCDS cable and I'm pretty computer/programming literate, but by no means a pro.  I also have a dumb cable if thats better for any other logging method.

SO... having an APR tune on the car, where do I start? by removing that? lol
I have a spare ecu (also R) but don't know how to get it to work because of the immobilizer.

any assistance or direction is greatly appreciated!
thanks!
-Matt
AARDQ

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »

Suggest reading up on Immo (look for ME7.1.1 instructions, not ME7.1) and adapt the spare ECU to your car.  Keep the original ECU as backup; since it is APR-tuned it is trickier to work with (and may be close to impossible).

Learn how to log with ME7logger  http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,837.0.html  Graph using http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,837.0.html

If you want any serious help people pretty much insist that these formats be used.

There's a GUI to make it safer on the road once you get it all working http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,837.0.html

Tunerpro and WinOLS (there are free versions of both) are the tuning tools.  Search for how to use.  There are dozens of threads.  And that's a good general tip -- try and figure it out, and if you can't ask pointed, specific questions.  Less derision that way.

Look for the 'Funktionsrahmen' on this site-- the German verision is far more complete and accurate than the English versions. 

IMO, no need for the MBC.  it is just adding another layer of complexity.  My car is an A6 Tip w/ FTs -- tonight (if I remember!) I'll post my file.  There are differences between Tip and 6-speed of course, but it will give clues.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »

Once I installed the frankenturbos, I was having problems with overboost. 

FT wastegates can be tricky to tune properly. Make sure you get a good background in PIDs.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
m4ttflynn

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »

Thanks guys!  I'll get to work adapting my other ecu!
I work doing hvac controls,  so I'm familiar with PIDs  although I do struggle with them,  and on the car,  everything will be much faster...  but it seems like I have a lot of research ahead of me!
AARDQ

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »

FT wastegates can be tricky to tune properly. Make sure you get a good background in PIDs.

That's a good point.  If you didn't check to see where Doug set them, that could be a reason for the overboost right there.
m4ttflynn

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

Okay, so in order to flash a non-immo bin (here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3317.0) to my spare ecu, I need to first pair it to the car? which requires the SKC/PIN that I don't have?
How would I obtain those, if possible, through the obd port?
In doing this, reverting back to my APR-ECU, I could simply plug it in and it would work?
-Matt
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »

Okay, so in order to flash a non-immo bin (here: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3317.0) to my spare ecu, I need to first pair it to the car? which requires the SKC/PIN that I don't have?
In doing this, reverting back to my APR-ECU, I could simply plug it in and it would work?
-Matt

You have 7.1.1, there are no non immo-bins. Best bet, read this.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2973.0title=

As for reverting back to the APR ecu, yes, you can always do this, but I'd just sell it. It'll never work properlywith the FT's. Is it chipped, or flashed?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
AARDQ

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »

-Matt

Keep researching...  Flashing an immo-off to the EEPROM (note the distinction, not the main flash memory) means no pairing necessary.  But that means no more immo, which may or may not bother you.  If you want to keep immo, read the EEPROM from the APR ecu and copy the relevant data to the spare ECU.  ddillinger explains how to do that in one or more threads (the procedure is the same as for an ME7.1 ECU).

Yes, removing and reinstalling the in-service ECU is plug-and-play to the extent you follow safe static procedures etc. as you would with any computer gear.  But based on your questions, it may be worth it for you to spend an evening or three (seriously) reading threads and learn some 'unknown unknowns'.  Could save you from having to explain to your significant other why your car is a 4,000 lb garage decoration.  You almost certainly will screw something up and it is priceless to have backup strategies three layers deep (at least until you know what you are doing).
AARDQ

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »

You have 7.1.1, there are no non immo-bins. Best bet, read this.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2973.0title=

ddillinger's way is unquestionably the best, but you can write an ME7.1 immo-off to to ME7.1.1.  I did so (and have done so for others) with the 4Z7907551R (cannot speak to any other revisions) and it works just fine.
m4ttflynn

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »

Thanks again, I'll keep reading!
-Matt
SB_GLI

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

Thanks again, I'll keep reading!
-Matt

Old thread I know, but OP says that he has an 03 6 speed allroad with the "R" ecu.  I have the same thing and my tune from APR was incorrectly done and therefore was running stock load/boost in all programs.  I tried a ton of different versions of the software as well, some even recompiled just for me from APR.  I worked with APR on my problem, sending them logs for a few months until they finally found the issue in there tune and sent me an update that worked.  When they finally found the issue, in an email response one of the guys at apr said to another, "I can't believe this file has been like this the whole time".

I suggest you contact APR to get a reflash.  It will give you a ton more power and should be fine as long as you use a mbc for overboost protection.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: