Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Extracting PIN from Cluster data ?  (Read 30821 times)
bjornhpersson

« on: April 05, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »

Hi! Totally newbie in this forum. I hope this is the right place to post.

I have an Audi A4 3.0 2001/2002 with only one key and the key is not matched with the cluster. The IMMO shuts down the car after 2 secs. I bought the car in this condition and dont know what has happened before. The hey works mechanically and the locks (radio) works just fine. No doubt that the key is the korrekt one I think. No PIN came with the car. Can I extract the PIN from a Cluster dump ? I have bought and tried several ebayish tools but with no luck. I have VAG COM full but that doesnt help me much without the PIN.

The latest effort was with VAG CAN Commander v2.5. The binfile is made from there.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Bjorn
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

i m not sure if you can extract the pin from the cluster but you can extract it from the ecu quite easily.

DDillenger would be able to let you know if you can get the pin off the cluster hes always checking the forum he will chime in soon.

All you need is a OBD to USB / Galleto .

Check out this thread
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1168.0title=

Once you download it off the ecu post it and i will be able to let you know your pin.

Then you go into VCDS use the pin to log into instrument cluster and you can adapt the key.
cyril279

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »

...Can I extract the PIN from a Cluster dump ? I have bought and tried several ebayish tools but with no luck. I have VAG COM full but that doesnt help me much without the PIN.

The latest effort was with VAG CAN Commander v2.5. The binfile is made from there.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Bjorn

bjorn, the pin is stored in the cluster, but can be tricky to find, since it's stored in different places.  check this thread out so that you can have some idea of what you're looking for.
-Cyril

edit: but it is easier to get the pin from the 95040, via the thread linked in vdubnation's reply.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:45:03 AM by cyril279 » Logged
jiggle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:53:53 AM »

Is the cluster pin the same as the skc code from the ecu?
cyril279

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »

Is the cluster pin the same as the skc code from the ecu?

It is neither guaranteed, nor necessary for the cluster and ecu pin's to match.  But if the cluster or ecu has never been changed or altered, then yes, they're probably the same.
cyril279

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »

Jiggle brings up a good point, key matching will mean that you need the cluster pin for sure, which may not be the same as the ecu.  It's still worth seeing the eeprom dump if available.

looking back at your original post, vag commander 2.5 should be able to correctly identify the cluster pin upon reading the bin.

based on a cursory scan of the cluster dump, I'm guessing 01010 or 04112, but those guesses are shots in the dark.
bjornhpersson

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »

OK, thank you guys. I'll try this out asap and let the forum know of any progress.

Thx,

Bjorn
bjornhpersson

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:47:21 AM »

Jiggle brings up a good point, key matching will mean that you need the cluster pin for sure, which may not be the same as the ecu.  It's still worth seeing the eeprom dump if available.

looking back at your original post, vag commander 2.5 should be able to correctly identify the cluster pin upon reading the bin.

based on a cursory scan of the cluster dump, I'm guessing 01010 or 04112, but those guesses are shots in the dark.

OK. I had a quick try this morning with the suggested PIN 01010 and 04112 but no luck.

As for vag commander 2.5. Where does the PIN code show if successful ? In the Instrument / Immobilizer the PIN section is greyed out and show only 0.

Thanks,

Bjorn
cyril279

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:36:24 AM »

bjorn,
    then we're back to vdubnation's suggestion to use argdub's tool to pull the 95040, and we'll read it from there and hope they match (assuming it's an immo III vehicle).

i m not sure if you can extract the pin from the cluster but you can extract it from the ecu quite easily.

DDillenger would be able to let you know if you can get the pin off the cluster hes always checking the forum he will chime in soon.

All you need is a OBD to USB / Galleto .

Check out this thread
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1168.0title=

Once you download it off the ecu post it and i will be able to let you know your pin.

Then you go into VCDS use the pin to log into instrument cluster and you can adapt the key.
bjornhpersson

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »

bjorn,
    then we're back to vdubnation's suggestion to use argdub's tool to pull the 95040, and we'll read it from there and hope they match (assuming it's an immo III vehicle).

OK, thank you. I think its IMMO2 ? ...

Using me7_95040.exe gives me nothing either. The communication cable is verified workling with vag commander 2.5 so it seemes its the vehicle isnt responding over ODB with me7_95040.exe.

See attached jpeg file. Also I have attached a report from VAG COM that might help someone letting me know if the vehicle is IMMO2 or IMMO3 ?

Thanks,

Bjorn
316LV

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »

0x01 is a general error. Not much to determine from that. I'd try benching it. I've had issues reading it over OBD, but no problems on the bench. Its a bit of a pain but reliable.

Not qualified to say which immo sorry. To take a guess I'd say 3. Most 2002 or newer are.

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
cyril279

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 05:08:03 AM »

...Using me7_95040.exe gives me nothing either. The communication cable is verified workling with vag commander 2.5 so it seemes its the vehicle isnt responding over ODB with me7_95040.exe.

See attached jpeg file. Also I have attached a report from VAG COM that might help someone letting me know if the vehicle is IMMO2 or IMMO3 ?...

The 95040 tool is not designed to work over OBD, you'll need to bench and bootmode it.

your vag-com scan doesn't show either engine ID or cluster ID.  The extra fields of those units should help identify whether immo II or III.
bjornhpersson

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:41:39 PM »

OK. Thanks again guys. I think I'll try and remove the ECU for a bench read out this weekend. Hopefully I can get the PIN from there.

Thanks,

Bjorn
316LV

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »

your vag-com scan doesn't show either engine ID or cluster ID.  The extra fields of those units should help identify whether immo II or III.

Cyril makes a good point in the post above. Open the engine controller in VCDS. If on the third data line there is your VIN followed by an immo ID #, you should be immo3. If that line is blank it should be immo2

Sorry, I thought I had used the 95040 tool over OBD. Probably just my bad memory... It will work in bootmode for sure so that is the way to go. Just use --SKC when you read and you should have the PIN.

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
bjornhpersson

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 07:44:02 AM »

OK. Thank you!

Today finally I manufactured a cable to use with the 95040 tool. Thanks to you guys I got the SKC which I guess is the same as the PIN.

Attached is the binfile and a screendump from the 95040 tool.

Ill try to reattach the ECU again and try the PIN out asap

Thanks again guys!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: