Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trying to flash an Allroad K box with a M box file...Possible?  (Read 7077 times)
stuklr

First post, gotta make it a good one. I have lots of VEMS tuning and AEM, Power FC and other tuning experience so I thought I would tune my Allroad myself. The story begins.

I have an 01 Allroad with the immobolizer and a 4Z7 907 551K ecu. I have converted the car to a manual and want to flash the K box with a STG 2 base file to start with. I have selected the file from the forum and loaded Nefmoto and the ME7check utility. The .bin file checksums ok and the ecu can be connected to via nefmoto.

I connect and am able to see the current coding and read faults. Upon trying to flash though i get the error message that the "tester present message is not recieved". Is it time to get a galletto cable and try flashing in boot mode? The immo holding me back?

I have run the car previously on a non immobolizer ecu, an L box APR STG1 from a B5 S4. Had to shave down a post in the connector, but all else worked fine. This was when it was still a tip. At this point I should just get another ECU and start there? Tough to find anyone thats used the K box ecu's. Thanks all.

Aaron

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?board=42.0

please peruse the stickies Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »

The allroad ecu will flash with m-box software just fine. Try using fast init instead of slow init when connecting. Should work. If not, bootmode the file onto the ecu, or defeat the immobilizer and flash on the bench.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
stuklr

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »

So, what I'm taking away from the reading is:

I can use my K box. Good news.

I tried to run it using fast init and still the same thing. Connects initially, reads ecu info, try to write. Get error message and program stops. Car won't even start after the failed attempt to flash. Then I cycle the key and she fires right back up. So Immo causing the issue.

Think flasing via Galletto will get it done? Or should I put together a bench flashing setup right now? I need to order parts either way.

One quick thought... What if I unplugged my cluster? I think thats used as the gatway on newer stuff, but is it necessary on the older immo III? Wouldn't that be the same as bench flashing? No cluster communication to meddle with the flash. Maybe I'm way off.

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »

If you unplug the cluster you have no chance of flashing an immobilizer equipped car. Best bet, bootmode an m-box on there. Once done the immobilizer is irrelevant.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
stuklr

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »

Will do. I am going to match my generic cable to Galletto (as per your write-up, Thanks) and then try it.

As another random thought... The immo just stops the ecu when pin 21 looses power right? How bout unplugging cluster then jumping power to pin 21? Like bench flashing, but still in place in the car. Bench flashing doesn't require boot mode right?
prj

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:39 AM »

Just tune what is on your car.
Your gearbox probably has different ratios, so you will need to adjust that, as well as many other calibrations will be out of check.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
stuklr

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »

What do you mean by adjust the gear ratios? The trans and rear differential I installed are 4.11:1 like most of the 01E equipped cars. The file im going to start with already is setup for a B5 S4 manual. All of which came with 4.11:1 final drives.

One final question: is the bench flash process done in boot mode only? I have read all the threads talking about bench flashing, but most are just covering connections. Cant find where its stated that bench flashing is just done with the nefmoto program or i must force boot mode and use galletto. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

prj

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:20:25 AM »

What do you mean by adjust the gear ratios? The trans and rear differential I installed are 4.11:1 like most of the 01E equipped cars. The file im going to start with already is setup for a B5 S4 manual. All of which came with 4.11:1 final drives.
You talk like I'm supposed to know that somehow. Allroads did come with different ratio from factory.

If you want to tune yourself start from scratch. Worst mistake you can do is flash someone else's things on it.
As for flashing it, you can flash in-car, but expect things to go wrong at some point, and have a bench harness and galletto ready for the day it does.

Log your car properly.
stuklr

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:42:50 AM »

No assumptions were intended. Just explaining my hardware setup. So in your opinion bench flashing in boot mode is my best bet? I will set it up and do it that way.

As for starting with someone elses base, i have to switch to an M box file to kill my immo and allow for OBD flashing. That would make tuning much easier.
ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »

The M-box is fine for a beginner, it's the easiest to learn as it's the most well defined. Once you get used to tuning you can start fresh with your own file.

As for flashing, OBD is fine, but at some point you will fail a flash. When that happens it's best to already have a bench setup built, and understand bootmode in order to recover the ecu.

BTW-you can kill your immobilizer using your current file, there's a sticky about it in the immobilizer section.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »

No assumptions were intended. Just explaining my hardware setup. So in your opinion bench flashing in boot mode is my best bet? I will set it up and do it that way.

As for starting with someone elses base, i have to switch to an M box file to kill my immo and allow for OBD flashing. That would make tuning much easier.

Immo defeat on ME7 is not done in flash usually. You should be just able to flash your car with the M file over the OBD port. Bench flashing is just good to have as a backup.
I can't comment on the Nefmoto software as I don't use it.

Log your car properly.
stuklr

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »

Got a flash loaded via boot mode on the bench. Starting with N Vr's stg 2 and softening it. All working as it should.

One quick question, now that its on an M box file, i should be able to flash on board right?

Thanks for the help all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: