Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: can you guys take a look? s4 mbox file  (Read 62094 times)
ElementalVoid

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »

Another thought about the boost problem. I think that you needs to back a step in the logic that Bosch uses to determine boost. It has been said many times on this forum that you don't tune boost, you tune load. Load determines desired cylinder pressure. One desired pressure is known a calculation is done to come up with desired boost. The ECU then finds the delta of desired and actual boost to set N75 duty cycle.

Since you don't build boost it means that desired cylinder pressure is not where you want it. That in turn means you aren't meeting the load level that you want. Since you've already set LDRXN to allow a peak load that could theoretically reach your desired boost you need to take a step back in that chain and figure out why your requested load in KFMIRL is not being reached.

I notice that you changed KFLDIMX, from the map description I think you may be on the right track. Did it make any difference in boost? You said that gwerks told you it was stronger but I know he wasn't able to test much. Did he say anything about the boost specifically?
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »

Gwerks doesn't have a boost gauge so he couldn't tell me about the boost.  He said the car pulled much harder than before.  I think the two biggest things that helped were my adjustments to Kfmirl and kfldimx.

Kfmirl has the highest requested load much higher than the max ldrxn load in the stock file.

Kfldimx  wasn't bumped up enough on the first revision.

I have a b5 s4
but i just want to dance.
ElementalVoid

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »

It just occurred to me that we both did somethings drastically wrong. KFLBTS is desired lambda. You need to go back and re-read Nyet's info about desired AFR: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning#Desired_AFR.

KFLBTS becomes active only when calculated EGT becomes too high and calculated lambts is lower than lamfa. For the purposes of this post I'm going to ignore all intricate details that Nyet describes about how the maps relate to each other and how to calculate lambts. What's important is that you actually increased requested lambda not decreased it. Higher lambda values means leaner. Effectively you had disabled any component protection via this map because lambts would most likely always be higher than lamfa. You would continue to run hot and have no way to resolve it except hopefully getting pushed into limp mode.

If you look back at your rev1, you raised the whole map by 0.2 lambda which basically meant that for a large portion of your load/rpm range you were requesting an AFR of 17.69. And, remember that spike I asked about? Yeah, that was a requested AFR of 19.41!

If you want to add fuel under high EGT you need to lower lambda value via KFLBTS. I think this may be a really, really common mistake for newbies like ourselves.

Something that may be helpful to note is that Nyet actually has two different KFLBTS definitions. One map is scaled to lambda (1.0 is stoich) and the other is scaled to AFR (14.7 is stoich).

I've updated my XDF to re-order these maps so that they are listed together. It's attached.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »

Great post thank you very much! I will go back and re-read desired afr. 

I have a b5 s4
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »

I don't mean to thread jack, but I wanted to let you guys know I posted my base stage 3 tune: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=426

I feel this tune is a good starting point as I have tried to do everything "correctly".

It is the tune I run in my daily driver, but it has never been tested on the dyno.

Please use this as a reference of what to do or not to do.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:24:31 PM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

Thanks, I will take a look.

I have a b5 s4
ElementalVoid

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 10:59:19 PM »

Been pretty busy lately and just tonight got to take a look at the files...

Jude, yours threw the "17963 Charge pressure: Maximum limit exceeded" code but I'm assuming you've already taken care of that after having looked at Tony's stage 3 file. That's definitely been a help. I've taken that as an example and done just some minor changes for the time being. I don't want to do much until I get a wideband. I'll also be getting a turbo back exhaust here soon so I'll pick up the tuning more then. I'm still going to play, just not very aggressively..

Hope you're having fun with Tony's map as a base!
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:16:43 PM »

Yeah I fixed the overboost issue in rev. 3.  Tony's file has been a huge help Grin. I've added some timing and dialed the boost back a little to spike 18 psi, since it was hitting 20. I'll probably post it up tomorrow after I go through it one more time.
BTW, my car is almost done. I bolted up the tranny to the engine and finished the rear suspension, and new clutch pedal wiring today. 6 speed swap, oh yeah baby.

I have a b5 s4
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »

Glad to hear you guys are finding the file helpful. Let me know if anything in there looks weird.

Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 06:36:33 AM »

rev 3 is up with changes i made based off tony's file and some feedback i got on my file.
i've added timing and cut the boost back a little.  I recomend using 93 octane.  let me know if you use 91 and if you have knock.
thanks.

I have a b5 s4
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »

Rev 3.1 is up
fixed limp mode from launch control

tony, thanks for consulting with gwerks, my tester, on this.

I have a b5 s4
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »

tony, thanks for consulting with gwerks, my tester, on this.

Version 1.7.0.1 of the ECU flasher has a few more fixes for Gwerks. He is a great tester, since he has an amazing talent for making things not work.  Cheesy

I've also updated my thread for my base stage 3 tune to include the names of everything I changed.

I'm glad you are making progress on your tune. It's nice to see people working on this stuff, since I no longer seem to have any time to pursue it.

judeisnotobscure

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

lol Yes, gwerks definitely finds the glitches with stuff.
We managed to fix the launch control for rev 2, but rev 3.1 still needs work.
3.1 is said to be great except for the launch control, it has a  much stronger top end.

I have a b5 s4
ElementalVoid

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 04:38:23 PM »

One thing I noticed about rev3 is that you missed one of the columns in KFDLULS. You raised everything to max except for that column... I assume you meant to raise the whole map.
judeisnotobscure

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »

Yes, thank you.  I will fix it. 
I'm going to try and sort out the launch control on rev 3, it still hits limp mode but in rev 2.1 launch control does work.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:50:57 AM by judeisnotobscure » Logged

I have a b5 s4
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: