Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Android 4.1 and WIFI 'ad-hoc' ELM327 device  (Read 14340 times)
userpike

« on: April 25, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »

Hello all!

just wondering if anyone on here knows anything about Android OS. I am trying to connect an ELM327 OBD --> wifi device to my android 4.1 tablet. As of Android 4.0, support for ad-hoc networks is there but is not enabled like on the ipad. There are scripts out there that will get the job done but they are specific for makes and models because a different wpa_supplicant  file is put in place of the ORI. I know I need to edit my wpa_supplicant file to enable ad-hoc connection, but not sure what to change.

Thanks for your insights.
Userpike
k0mpresd

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »

this sounds like a question for xda devs, how to enable adhoc.
userpike

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:54 PM »

this sounds like a question for xda devs, how to enable adhoc.

I've been through the xda developers site already, Google searching the hell out of it in my free time. Found out about apps that do it and scripts but they are model specific. I have a Chinese 'Gpad' 9inch tablet with Android 4.1.1 so no one has really messed with them on the site. really never even heard of them..

I was able to root it though so I am partly where I want to be with it.

UrbanAssaultar

if you're not first, you're last

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »

Doesn't the ELM327 device run on bluetooth not WiFi?
userpike

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »

Doesn't the ELM327 device run on bluetooth not WiFi?

ELM327 is available as Bluetooth, WiFi and USB.
UrbanAssaultar

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »

I had no idea, any progress on your issue?
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 06:09:29 AM »

I don't think you can do adhoc on Android..

Wifi ELM327 devices are usually for Apple devices which will not connect to ELM327 BT devices.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
userpike

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »

I don't think you can do adhoc on Android..

Wifi ELM327 devices are usually for Apple devices which will not connect to ELM327 BT devices.

Adding to my OP: It can be done by modifying the WPA_Supplicant file and some other files but it's only temporary because when you search for a new WiFi connection or click the refresh the WPA_Supplicant file is rewritten everytime. So the mod that was done to see and connect to AdHOC networks is overwritten. Aside from this, the reason for the DEVs of Android OS to not enable AdHoc networking is because the driver has to be modded for permanent use and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different WiFi adaptors that will run on Android. This my own words but relayed from the XDA Developers site.

What I don't understand is why the ELM 327 WiFi devices use AdHoc instead of just broadcasting as an access point...
userpike

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »

I had no idea, any progress on your issue?

unfortunately no... I gave up, bought an ELM327 USB dongle for $8.50 on Ebay. Now I'm screwing with it...which has not been a fun time.
 I have got it to connect twice now but I just got it yesterday and haven't had much time with it yet.
 Torque Pro has some cool features, it's no ME7 logger but very cool. One of the features is I can log in real time and can stream the info to my home computer(or anywhere really) if I had the tablet connected to a cell phone network.
Some of the plug ins for it are just as cool too like Track Recorder. Youtube it if you wanna take a look.
UrbanAssaultar

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

I have Torque Pro, haven't messed with the track recorder yet. The "logging" aspect is kinda choppy, but sweet to have a compact tool to use.
userpike

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:37:20 PM »

I have Torque Pro, haven't messed with the track recorder yet. The "logging" aspect is kinda choppy, but sweet to have a compact tool to use.

The author claims the program is limited in speed by either the dongle or ECU itself.

I haven't had a chance really to log anything with it. I have a clone dongle so I'm not expecting ultra high performance.. right now I just want it to connect consistently. I read I have to play with the baud rates for this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: