Pages: [1]
Author Topic: vag.com cable unable to connect  (Read 11047 times)
brokenvespa

« on: May 27, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »

Hello, I have a real vag.com hex+can cable. I installed the driver with vcp support and unchecked the boot in intellegent mode box. when I try to connect to the cable with nefmoto I get" Failed to read test echo from FTDI device". Seems simple but what am I doing wrong?
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »

When you install the VCP drivers you have to check the box in device manager "load vcp" or something to that effect. Do that, unplug the cable, then plug it back in. After that it should load the VCP drivers, and you should get a separate category for ports. Verify you have that before proceeding.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
brokenvespa

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »

Ok, I guess I may need someone to hold my hand a little and start me from the beginning. I have a vag.com HEX+CAN usb cable. RossTech has a driver on their download page w/ vcp support. Where exactly do I go from here. I thought I was doing things the right way but apparently I am not. I am using windows XP and usually let the wizzard do the installs. Thank You
brokenvespa

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »

Also I did not come across a "load VCP driver box"
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

Open device manager, find your cable. Open PROPERTIES. In the driver subsection there should be a checkbox pertaining to VCP.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
brokenvespa

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »

Ok, Device manager> rosstech cable>right click>properties>check "load VCP" on advanced page. Got all of that but nothing happens when I unplug and plug the cable . And still no connect in nefmoto.
brokenvespa

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

I should be able to connect to the cable without it being plugged into the ecu correct?
brokenvespa

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »

I did notice that when I hover over the device in nefmoto that it now says that chip not supported after the first time I try to connect to the cable.
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:38 PM »

Plug the cable into the car and try to connect. If you can select the cable from the device menu in nefmoto then the VCP settings are correct.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
brokenvespa

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »

ok, The cable shows up as "Ross-tech HEX-USB"  In the connected devices list. with the cable plugged in the usb port buy not into the car, When I hit connect fastinit I get the "failed to read test echo from ftdi device. Same happens when I plug into the car and turn on the ignition. Am I correct that this tool should connect to any 2003 vag car? Thanx
AARDQ

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »

Fairly certain you do need to be connected to the car.  My guess is that certain of the cable electronics are powered by vehicle power and not USB.  My experience, anyway, with ME7.1.1 2003 A6.  Also, connect to the USB port first, let the computer recognize it.  Then connect to the OBD, key on engine off.  Open Vag Com (intel mode off, as you say).  Run the Vag Com configuration test.  I've only ever closed Vag Com at this point but someone on here has indicated you can leave it open.

I've had the echo fail issue if I've connected to the OBD first.  At that point either switch USB ports and start over, or else reboot the computer and start over.  Having drivers for other cables installed tends to screw things up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: