Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flash failing  (Read 10516 times)
300exPat

« on: June 18, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »

Hi, I'm new to flashing and am having trouble writing my slightly modified file to my 03 a6 2.7t ecu.  I have successfully read the stock 551A file with nefmoto and have also successfully read the entire EEPROM with argdub's tool.  I am trying to write a 551R file with egt delete that Dillinger was kind enough to correct the checksums on for me.  I have verified the checksums were correct with the latest version of me7check as well.

My problem arises when trying to write.  The write process starts extremely slow, much slower than the read process.  I am able to eventually make it to 7% before I lose communication.  Once I reconnect I am able to make it to 11% before I cannot transfer any more data.  I have tried at every baud rate with a slow connect, and fast connect has never worked for me.  I have tried removing the key, reconnecting the cable, and restarting nefmoto with the same results.  I have also tried adjusting the ftdi driver latency in my device manager from the original 16 to 4 to 2 with no noticeable improvements.  At this point I do not know what to do and have searched for ideas.  Once I get home I am going to check my other cables for ftdi chipsets and try another tomorrow with hopefully some better luck.  Please give me your advice and ideas

Thanks,
Pat

P.s. I will post a log as soon as I get home
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

i dont think its the software or the cable sounds like a k-line chatter pull your cluster fuse see what happens
300exPat

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »

Just pulled the 10a cluster/ac fuse under the driver side d shaped panel.  No improvement.. Still extremely slow and will not complete
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »

i think its fuse 15
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:51:25 PM by vdubnation » Logged
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

if you need help i could remote in to see if your doing anything wrong
300exPat

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »

The fuse was number 15, but definitely 10a, unless it is labeled something besides cluster.

*edit*  Thanks for the offer but I actually just got home.  Is there anything else you can think of that could be wrong?  I tried to start the car and it would not start, only crank.  Will I now have to flash in boot mode?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:59:15 PM by 300exPat » Logged
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »

Have you tried reading the ecu out the reason i ask it may have a chip already soldered on . When you turn the key to on do you see the check engine symbol ? It maybe stuck in download mode i would first check to see if its chipped if not flash in bootmode with galleto.
300exPat

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »

The first thing I did was read the ecu.  I was able to read the factory bin without an issue on a slow connect.  I can't recall if the cel was lit, what would this mean?  How would I know if it is chipped?  I was under the assumption if it was chipped that I would not be able to read it.  We've had this car for a long time and I am fairly sure it is unmodified.  If I am returning to my stock bin, can I use argdub's tool rather than galletto?  I want to flash this successfully but more importantly I want the car running.
UrbanAssaultar

if you're not first, you're last

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

Where are you located, there might be someone local to you that might be able to lend some "hands on" help.
300exPat

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:41:06 PM »

I'm located in Sussex, NJ. 
UrbanAssaultar

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »

From personal experience, I pulled the k-line fuse and kept trying - you need to pull the negative in between each attempt and let the ECU power down for 5 full minutes to discharge before trying again.

But...if it does have a soldered in chip, all this will be a waste of time. If the ECU has a black vent on top, it will be glued together and most likely have a cage built around it to prevent removal of the larger connector. You will need to remove the cage and then the (4) T-15 torx screws from the back and pry it apart once you get it out of the car and snap a picture of the PCB for the braintrust to examine.
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 06:08:06 AM »

I'm located in Sussex, NJ. 

I m 45 min from Sussex i can meet up with you if you want.
300exPat

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »

vdubnation, thank you so much for the offer, I was about to take you up on it today.  I built a bench harness but couldn't get it to work for the life of me until I realized I had to connect to pin 21 for the immobilizer.  I was able to flash the ecu on the bench under kwp2000 protocol using nefmoto in just about three minutes.  The car is now running great with no more egt cel.  I guess there was something going on with my k-line that was interrupting my writing when the ecu was still in the car.  Maybe we could meet up sometime anyway so I could check out your setup and maybe learn a thing or two.

Thanks everyone else as well,
Pat
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

vdubnation, thank you so much for the offer, I was about to take you up on it today.  I built a bench harness but couldn't get it to work for the life of me until I realized I had to connect to pin 21 for the immobilizer.  I was able to flash the ecu on the bench under kwp2000 protocol using nefmoto in just about three minutes.  The car is now running great with no more egt cel.  I guess there was something going on with my k-line that was interrupting my writing when the ecu was still in the car.  Maybe we could meet up sometime anyway so I could check out your setup and maybe learn a thing or two.

Pat
No problem anytime you want shot me a pm .
UrbanAssaultar

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »

Pat

Hell yes, good work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: