Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VERY cheap alternative to NEW egt sensors, replace the PCB.  (Read 81847 times)
ddillenger

Not sure if anyone's seen this, but it's a helluva deal for 45 bucks shipped. Looks like very good work as well. Wonder if he has the wideband boards? In any event, I'm very impressed by this. The PCB layout, the packaging, it all looks top notch.

from audiworld:

I recently purchased a 2003 allroad that was throwing codes for the egt sensors. I searched around a bit and found that some people have been able to successfully repair their egt sensors by resoldering the 5 solder points inside of the sensor. While this seems to have worked well for one of my sensors, it did not work for the other. I still received the following code, immediately after clearing it:

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
P1453 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

So, I figured I was going to have to fork over the $250 to buy a new EGT sensor, which by reports, would probably have a similar fate a couple years down the road. Instead, I did a little searching and found a thread where a guy replaced the circuit board (pcb) of the egt. The intent was so he could have a real time reading of his egts in cabin. I'm not going for real time readouts here, but just want to fix my egt sensor, and slap my car out of limp mode. So, with a little more searching, I found a guy in Poland who makes a replacement boards for these egt sensors. I was able to contact him through email, sent a paypal for $45, and received the new egt pcb in the mail a week later. Great service, fast shipping, and a cheap price for what I hope is a permanent solution.

Time for a mini DIY:

First, it's best to remove the senor from the car completely. For the driver's side, it might be better to get do this all with the probe attached to the exhaust, since it's a real bugger to remove.

Open the box of EGT sensor. There's a bunch of slimy silicone that was used to protect the board. Remove all of this junk. I used a toothbrush to remove what I could.
Once you've removed as much crap as you can, you'll need to remove the circuit board from the box completely. You can use a solder gun to melt the solder and remove each leg one by one.

After the pcb has been removed, get the rest of the box as clean as possible. I used some engine cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes to break down the rest of the silicone. I then blasted the box with compressed air to remove most of the remaining junk, followed by a light wash down with brake parts cleaner. I then cleaned up the leads as best as I could to remove any extra solder. I mostly needed to do this because I attempted to fix the unit by resoldering the legs first.

Here's what the box looked like before soldering the new board in:

Next, solder in the new board. This is pretty easy, just make the wires find there way home in the middle of the leads.

Use something to secure the board to the box, double sided tape, dab of rtv, whatever. I used rtv silicone to seal the box shut again, and held it together for an hour or so with a clamp, and reinstalled. Note: I did not encase the pcb with silicone like it was from the factory.

I started up the car, cleared the codes, and to my pleasure, the codes did not return!!!! SUCCESS!!! WOOHOO!! I also took some logs with vagcom, and where the ECU was only ever requesting 6-7lbs of boost before with the egt codes, it now is requesting 10-12lbs and my car has lost the sluggishness it most surely gained when the egts failed.

And finally, here's all the information you need to know about how to order the new circuit boards.
I was able to contact him via these emails:
sidaudis4@gmail.com
sd110@go2.pl

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:27:17 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
phila_dot

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/537525-Repurposing-the-CenterSun-Visor!-EGTs-PCB-with-LED-Wideband-STE-PPD-install

Quote from: bobkatkat
Here is part one of EGTs PCB with LED, Wideband , STE-PPD install plus re-purposing the center visor . With tips some might find handy. Warning long and lots of images.

Remove all covers as it will make it easier to solder in the engine bay and you won't crack anything by leaning on them.

Remove intake, y-pipe and un-attach the coolant overflow tank and flip it out of the way.

the EGTs are bolted to the back of the manifold. Remove the harnesses and weave the cases out so you can place them on top of the manifold. We will be soldering them in place so there is no need to remove the thermocoupler from the manifolds.

This is where you need to insert a screw driver to crack open the case. It is farly brittle so take your time we will need this intact.

Interesting to note the OEM PCBs. The one on the left is not working and you can see the areas where there is corrosion on the soldered leads and on the PCB itself. The board on the right is functioning and notice that there is no corrosion and all solder points are clean and shiny. I have tried to re-solder EGTs in the past with marginal success. I am sure the reason for that is the flaws in some go further than just the main connections. Good thing we are replacing the boards entirely.

Now it is time to remove the Gel and the OEM PCBs from the sensor housings. This shit is a nightmare.

Once all the gel is all out it is time to solder in the new boards in place of the OEM boards. There will be two additional leads on for an additional sensor output that will be run to the LED displays and to devices like the STE-PPD and a ground. I chose to install proper harnesses with micro amps connectors & heat shields so they could be disconnected for engine pulls. Probably a good practice for anything you hook up under the hood of these things because as you all know the engine is going to  come out at some time might as well make it easier.

I then secured the PCBs in the cases with MG Chemicals RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant. This is the low odor stuff made for electronics. Do not use any old silicone. If Audi used this stuff on the original PCBs I bet I would not be writing this DIY

Now while the silicone is setting up its time for some takeout.

I adopted to run another harness for the addition of the STE-PPD Boost Controller. It is a good idea to run as much of the wiring as you can think of because it is much easier once everything is all opened up. Pulling one wire is as hard as pulling 10.

Now it is time to cut the grommet on the firewall and cut the grommet on the main wiring harness as it enters the ECU weatherproof container. The ECU grommet has four spaces right above the wire bundle that with a little working can be made to accommodate the three harnesses the vacuum line and the wideband cable.

Once all the wiring is through the ECU box you feed it through the back into the cabin. This is after you remove the kick panel under the steering column. Lots of info on this if you have never done it. Just search hear or Google it.

As this is a three part DIY there is one common harness used by all three components. I made up this harness out of the harness from STE for the Wide band port on the PPD, the harness for the Zeitronix ZT-3 controller and a fused harness that will provide ground and switched 12v for the ZT-3, the two LED displays and the wide band O2.

I then tested the displays by temporarily wiring them up inside the cabin. Everything OK.

Now for finding out where to put the LEDs. Along with sensor output from the Left and right banks there was ground, 12v switched power and a light switch controlled power to aid in the dimming function. I initially attempted to put it in the rear view mirror but i didn't like the distraction the LEDs caused. This method is doable for any variety of displays but that is for another DIY. I opted to try putting them in the middle visor.

I cut the fronts with a sharp Exacto knife to the exact size of the displays. I positioned them tilted to the drivers view. They were then hot glued into place. The backs were cut to alow for the LEDs to protrude out the back and be soldered in place.

I then tapped up the front and back to get ready to fill in any gaps and truly integrate the LEDs into the visor. I used a flexible two part putty used for spot repairing automotive bumpers and trim. Once sanded  It was now off to the "spray boof for cheap ass bastards" for a prime and a coat or two of Duplicolor Trim paint. This stuff is great because it finishes with a texture matching the OEM plastic.

Back from the Boof. I covered the back with a thin neoprene in flat black. I used double sided tape to fix the neoprene.

I then removed the air bag cover button on the driver side column to reveal the one torx screw that with two clips are the only things holding the cover in place. Just gently pull the cover away. Keep in mind there is an airbag in there. Its best to take off your Corduroy  pants if you have Alcantara seats. No Sparks! Feed the 5 wires up through the pillar, zip tie it as you go. tuck it along the headliner and attach the leads to the visor. Once again I used AMP style micro connectors. Screw the visor back in.

The last thing was finding a tap for the light switch controlled power to control the dimming function of the LEDs. Another key function that is available when this is hooked in is that by turning on and off the lights 3 times puts the displays into configuration mode.  This allows for the changing of the brightness of the displays and set the alarm threshold of the buzzer if you choose to install one. The default is set to 1000 degrees.

I chose to wire the lights controlled power to the drivers side vent wheel as it is the closest  source to the all of the other wiring.

Now just button all the panels back on the kick pad and fuse panel and you are done part one of this three part install.

This DIY was sponsored by and Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum

Products used in this DIY

EGT PCBs and LEDs:

http://sidmotorsport.pl/pl/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=egt&submit_search=http://

Wideband: part 2

http://http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Zt-3/Zt-3.shtml

PPD: part 3

http://www.getste.com/
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »

I think we just created an EGT thread.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

Too damn awesome to not sticky.

Thanks guys.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
s5fourdoor

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »

Is their a PCB available for the RS6?  The housings for the S4/RS4 look similar to the RS6, so therefore it must just be the PCB which is different.  I'd do this repair if it enabled the RS6 measurement resolution.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »

Thus my comment about the wideband boards. I sent them an email. My EGT's are fully functional ATM, but I'd pick up a dead set for the wideband conversion.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
UrbanAssaultar

if you're not first, you're last

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »

Mother.of.ghod this is awesome. Both of my EGTs are dead - I have the simulators in right now, I will be ordering the boards ASAP to repair.
UrbanAssaultar

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »

http://sidmotorsport.pl/pl/s/569-modul-egt-27-bi.html a link to the product. I'm sure these will be hard to keep in stock...
infinkc

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »

I have about 3-4 dead egts with good probes, looks like i should fix them and sell them now.

vwaudiguy

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »

We were literally talking about trying to figure out how to repair EGT's and now this. Awesome info..Looks like they are already out of stock  Cry

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
UrbanAssaultar

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 01:10:55 AM »

We were literally talking about trying to figure out how to repair EGT's and now this. Awesome info..Looks like they are already out of stock  Cry
email him, the website doesn't refect his current inventory.Tongue
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »

I'll try that..Thanks, Urban.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »

BTW it should be (in theory) possible to send a proper wb signal to the ECU for logging (and EGT enrich thresholds)

Perhaps even hack ME7 to replace the modeled egt value with this new real wb egt value...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
EuroXs4

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »

Im actually fluent in polish so if anyone needs the help ordering of has questions.Feel free to let me know.Also they have adapters for $3 each if you wanna run coils without output stages.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:21:36 PM by EuroXs4 » Logged
wab5s4

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

Also they have adapters for $3 each if you wanna run coils without output stages.

Wait, explain this one please. Do you mean they have adapters to run FSI coils or adapters to delete ICMs?

Are they plug and play or are they basically these guys:

If you mean plug and play coil adapters for $3 a pop the coil conversion just dropped another $40 and is nearly idiot proof.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: