Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm bored of my MK4 Golf. Tell me about S4's..  (Read 11200 times)
adam-

« on: December 04, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »

It seems that they're pretty big on this forum - if not the states, but not so big in the UK.

I've not seen that many, but my MK4 is getting pretty boring now.  I could spent a few k and go forged, garret, etc, but, it's still FWD, and it's still useless in the wet.

So, my mate's just bought an A8 and I like it.  It's big, comfy, and lovely to drive.

I'd never thought about an S4/S6 until he mentioned it.  Insurance is cheaper than the Golf, and it's a hell of a lot faster..

audisrs.com/about1137.html&highlight=loomx

There's one for 6300 quid.  485 brake, just shy of 700 ft/lbs..

But, what are they like to drive?  I don't wanna get one and it's like driving the Titanic.  Was going to get an R32 next purely for V6 noises, but, V6 noises AND TWO turbos?! Wub!

So, discuss...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:04 PM »

IMO there is no car like it on the planet.

overbuilt motor which can make almost 2x the hp/tq on a bone stock block and no head work!

torsen awd, no haldex bs.

only downside is open rear diff (EDL sucks) and its nose heavy.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:18:49 AM »

Buy an RS4 if you are going to, don't bother with an S4.
I know this is not an option for the yanks, but you do have the choice.

The RS4 has much better handling due to the widebody/wider axle track, the suspension is better balanced, and of course it looks much better.
There is much more equipment standard, and the engine is beefed up.

You can get over 500hp from an RS4 by just installing a water/meth kit and getting it mapped properly.
I know this because I own one Smiley

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
adam-

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »

Didn't even spot the difference!

The RS4 is loooovely, but I don't really have 10k to spend on a car..
prj

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »

Didn't even spot the difference!

The RS4 is loooovely, but I don't really have 10k to spend on a car..

If 10k seems like too much to spend for you, then don't buy any 2.7TT car. The maintenance is killer.

Log your car properly.
rnagy86

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »

I agree with prj. I sold my "Stage 3" S4 Avant two weeks ago and bought an RS4 right away. I had to spend a good amount of money on it right away just to replace the thermostat. (did the full timing belt kit while there). It is not fully mapped yet, but it does feel much much better than the S4 already even though my S4 was in a really tip-top condition. However if my friend would not be a mechanic and I would have to pay for labour besides getting him drunk, I would not have bought a 2.7TT.
Not to mention that if you want a powerful S4 you will need to either build one for a lot of $$$ or buy one which is built already for a lot of $$$. Save your money for a bit longer and just go for the RS4.

Or buy a built Inline 5 cyl., if you want to have the most fun  Grin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:06:17 AM by rnagy86 » Logged
adam-

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

Doing work is not the problem, the Polo had 7 engines and I had the clutch changed on the Golf in 3 hours the other day.

It's the cost of parts that worries me.  While the RS4 would be lovely, I don't want to only have it to neglect it. If I get one, it has to get looked after and has to be mod'd too..
prj

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »

The maintenance is not that different between a RS4 and a S4, only the body panels and brakes are what are more expensive really...
I see no point in getting a S4, if you're going to blow so much money on maintenance, at least dump it into a car that has some value.

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »

I agree with prj. If I could get RS4s easily stateside, i'd start with an RS4 (or motor at least) as well.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

I think PRJ's forgetting that not everyone digs station wagons.

Not to say that I don't, but that's a consideration.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »

I think PRJ's forgetting that not everyone digs station wagons.

Not to say that I don't, but that's a consideration.
My RS4 station wagon > your S4 sedan Tongue

Also there is the slight difference of manufacturer.
S4 - Audi.
RS4 - Quattro Gmbh.

Log your car properly.
blmlozz

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »

But, what are they like to drive?  I don't wanna get one and it's like driving the Titanic
Trying to compare driving dynamics is difficult to do unless you're doing it back to back. I've had a lot of cars in a short amount of time, including a 2nd generation CTS-V, and Pontiac G8 GT (holden commode). Currently I have a 2.0T ATS with the magneride suspension. In comparison to those, the B5 platform isn't particularly remarkable in terms of how it drives. To be painfully honest, it oversteers just about every time you want to push the car. Some people feel that in this generation of cars, Audi was more interested in the safe driving dynamics that AWD provides rather than it's handling prow less, and that certainly seems true. Only an idiot is going to upset this car enough to do some damage. That just doesn't make for a fun car to drive on a good canyon course to me though.

However, the B5 S4 is not without good points, and arguably that's not really what it's about either,I think most people(myself included) fall in love with the car for a few reasons;
Power delivery- the APB when modified comes on it's power like a freight train. This car, with K03's and boost problems, feels like it hits harder than my 500whp CTS-V. That quite simply, is extremely addicting, and maybe a slightly exaggeration since I don't have the V to compare back to back, but the LSA was buttery smooth where the APB feels like I might self induce whiplash.

Size- The B5 is small, and fairly light. The back seats are mostly a side-show attraction, but for someone like me, I like that, it makes the whole experience more personal. More importantly, it feels small and light(minus being nose heavy). The C4 I have is a 3200lb coupe(4-500lbs lighter than the B5), it's physically smaller in every dimension, but it feels about as heavy as my 4100lb CTS-V. It's not very fun to toss around. It feels as you put 'like driving the titanic'

Simplicity- I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the S4 is anything less than what it's hyped up to be when shit breaks or in terms of mantiance. I'm 20K into mine and it's not even driveable yet.
However, it's just old enough of a platform that it doesn't have any of the modern complex convince systems or powertrain subsystems to make it run. The drivetrain is bulletproof. Most engine problems turn out to be boost problems.It has leather seats, power doors/locks and that's it. No gimmicky garbage to go wrong. No adjustable suspension or 5 layers of traction control. Personally I like having a 'natural' driving experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »

My RS4 station wagon > your S4 sedan Tongue

I don't disagree at all Sad
But others might.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: