Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Throttle body damage from W/M injection?  (Read 4904 times)
stuklr

« on: March 20, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »

Has anyone else seen water/meth injection in the bi-pipes kill a throttle body?

My Allroad started running erratic at idle this afternoon. I pulled it off for inspection and found that the throttle plate does not spring back when opened manually. The shaft is seizing part way open. Guess I will move my injection point to behind the TB.

Never had this issue on my old URS4.

BTW, if anyone has a spare 2.7t TB I am in the market. Thanks
terok

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 04:29:15 AM »

Haven't seen, but have heard of corroded parts. When you think about it, pressurized air pushing to all the littlest gaps with water/meth in it. It then washes away whatever lubricant there may have been.
catbed

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »

Has anyone else seen water/meth injection in the bi-pipes kill a throttle body?

My Allroad started running erratic at idle this afternoon. I pulled it off for inspection and found that the throttle plate does not spring back when opened manually. The shaft is seizing part way open. Guess I will move my injection point to behind the TB.

Never had this issue on my old URS4.

BTW, if anyone has a spare 2.7t TB I am in the market. Thanks

Haven't heard of meth destroying throttle bodies, but if you're getting rid of the broken one I'll take it.
stuklr

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »

I won't have any need for it. But, What would it be useful for?

I talked to my local euro yard today and they have a bunch for $35. Going to pick one up on my way home. 
jackson.amrol@gmail.com

"you sir are an animal"

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »

I had mine stick once upon a time, after the car had been sitting for a few months. I just removed and freed it up by hand hasn't been an issue after 6-7 months.

Lost, No.. My minds around here somewhere..
Shh, I'm calling my mom.. "It's 3AM" SHH!
Mom, is there such a thing as kosher pork?
"I'm not bailing you out tonight"...
jibberjive

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 07:28:16 AM »

You hear about it ruining throttle bodies a lot more in the 1.8t crowd (probably simply because of the production volume implications of that motor).  Be careful of nozzle placement if you go post throttle body but not direct port injection; the stock intake manifold doesn't necessarily have the best runner distribution.  A local friend tried to run a single nozzle nitrous setup post TB, and the car didn't like it too much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: