Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Switching multiple maps with cruise control stalk ?  (Read 11169 times)
bazaa

« on: May 01, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »

I dont know if many people have seen this but it is the registered patent for multiple map switching on an me7.
original link:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7047128.html
and patent pdf
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7047128.pdf
Hope its a good read for someone
Bazaa
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:44:56 PM by bazaa » Logged
phila_dot

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »

Interesting read.

I found and attached the patent mentioned in the link above : WO 02/14981

I don't have time to read it now unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:07:27 PM by phila_dot » Logged
orienz

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

It's APR, www.goapr.com that did it first and they put a patent on it lol, funny...
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »

It's APR, www.goapr.com that did it first and they put a patent on it lol, funny...

first a disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

I would advise anybody planning on implementing this to NOT read the patent.. if you get into a patent fight with APR, you could be subject to higher damage claims.

Honestly, it is best to try to do this in a "clean room", and also to NOT use the cruise control stalk.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:30:14 AM »

You don't have to read the Patent to be covered by it.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »

Not sure what you mean by covered, but if you get sued, and the plaintiffs can prove you KNEW it was patented AND you gained knowledge from reading the patent, you could be subject to much more significant damage (and punitive) claims.

Many companies' R&D teams get told the same by their respective legal dept....

Again, I am not a lawyer, but I have seen lawyers give this advice.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »

The patents refer to an external device setting a user specified control value via the ECU communications port, to interpolate between a stock map and a performance map. It does not mention the cruise control, and it does not mention map switching. This patent seems much closer to what the GIAC Flash Tuner cable does.

The patent also refers to a method of embedding and validating signatures in the EEPROM and Flash memory to prevent copying ECUs.

If you are worried about patent infringement, then read this patent, and don't do it this way.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »

It does not mention the cruise control

Then there is another floating around (i THINK).. I don't recall the patent number, unfortunately

ECUx Plot

carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »

Not sure what you mean by covered, but if you get sued, and the plaintiffs can prove you KNEW it was patented AND you gained knowledge from reading the patent, you could be subject to much more significant damage (and punitive) claims.

Many companies' R&D teams get told the same by their respective legal dept....

Again, I am not a lawyer, but I have seen lawyers give this advice.

Patents put a stake in the ground. If any person has prior art the patent can be questioned at any time. Reading anything in irrelevant, as is intent. If someone did it first and you can prove it (here's the cost) then you may sue.

This is not something we should worry about.
phila_dot

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »

Then there is another floating around (i THINK).. I don't recall the patent number, unfortunately

Post #2
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »

If any person has prior art the patent can be questioned at any time.

GIAC tried that and failed. Defending against a patent lawsuit is expensive, even if you are provably innocent. Hence my post re: patent portfolios

Reading anything in irrelevant, as is intent.

Incorrect. Treble damages.

If someone did it first and you can prove it (here's the cost) then you may sue.

Also incorrect. Typically, there isn't much to counter sue over *unless* you have a defensive patent portfolio.

This is not something we should worry about.

From personal experience, I disagree.

ECUx Plot

Rick

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »

Surely no one cares about ME7 from a business point of view anymore?
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »

Post #2

After reading the patent from post #2. This appears to be APRs patent for their EMCS. The patent covers the EMCS security system to prevent copying, as well as the features provided by the EMCS. I would say that everything in the patent appears to be based on adding a Programmable Logic Device (PLD) into the ECU to add extra features. But, on page 27 of the patent if you look at claims 18, 19, and 20, they relate to using the cruise control system without referencing using a PLD. These are the particular claims:
18. A method of modifying performance characteristics of an automobile that includes a subsystem for performing a predetermined function, the method comprising:
(a) modifying data stored in a memory of an engine control system; and
(b) reprogramming the subsystem of the automobile such that the subsystem is capable of both performing the predetermined function and controlling access of the engine control unit to the modified data.

19. A method according to claim 18, wherein the subsystem is the cruise control system.

20. A method according to claim 19, wherein the cruise control system is used to provide a security code to the engine control unit.

I am hoping claims 18, 19, and 20 are referring to when being used with their proprietary EMCS PLD, but currently I can't tell if it also refers to OEM hardware.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:57:36 PM by Tony@NefMoto » Logged

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: