Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anybody jumped into ME9 MKV VW tuning yet?  (Read 13565 times)
Jason

Breaks everything!

« on: May 09, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

Debating having my MKV Jetta Wolfsburg flashed because I have heard of a few people who have had low frequency boost oscillation issues with downpipes and high load in 6th gear.

I have to question if spending $699 on a flash is a good investment if the K03 dies shortly after and my only option is a bigger turbo.  Cheesy

Trying to weigh my time vs cost vs outcome.

Anybody?  Bueller?
Rick

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »

have you got an XDF/OLS?  If so then go for it!
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »

Negative... I haven't really put any effort into looking for one however.

I have also heard horror stories about bricked ECU's.  Makes me question if it's a project worth embarking on.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »

So galletto can't read it unless I tie the OBD k-line to pin 86 on the ECU, at least that's what galletto says.  I may screw around with it this weekend.  I just hate removing trim pieces and I think the ECU retaining fasteners are sweet tamper proof torque limit head breakaways.
RaraK

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »

Sorry mate, spend the $550 or whatever APR or Revo would charge you.

MPPS and a BDM100 are needed, FDEF if you know nothing(purchase from people privately), LOTS and LOTS of time, method to checksum?.....and so forth, its NOT worth the time, you will not save money in any way.

If you put the years into learning this stuff on your own, it can be rewarding, however are you willing to spend countless hours reading and testing things?   

Not being negative, just putting into perspective, and trust me im not the only one that will tell you this.  But if you do want to continue, myself and some other would be willing to help, just ask away
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »

Perspective definitely appreciated Smiley

Just for the record I'm not anti-tuner... the problem is, I'm anti-bad-tuner...  For example, the boost oscillation at high load in 6th gear would drive me crazy as I rarely downshift to pass.  To me, that seems like something very easy to fix with the proper approach to tuning the PID.  Again it seems specific to the downpipe...

I'm not looking for a ragged edge tune, just something that has a little more punch and isn't putting the turbo in jeopardy or generating obnoxious cylinder pressures.  This is my commuter and since every SUV now seems to have 400hp, I could use a little more power Smiley

I have been burned by bad tunes in the past, and felt I wasted money on a K03 flash for my S4 that didn't last long - something I couldn't really resell either, which then led to k04's and a 4 year long tuning debacle that was never resolved.  The last thing I want to do is blow up the turbo, get suckered into a K04, conrods, another tune, etc...  I have been makin' it rain cash over the years and really not getting my money's worth, at least in my opinion.  For that kind of scratch I'll be putting GT's and a 3 liter in the S4 thank you... Wink

I guess my approach was from the standpoint that I trashed the S4's old crappy tune, put hybrids on the S4, tuned it from a stock m-box, and it's a monster now... 

Anyway, if there was a safe and easy way to read and flash via OBD, the checksumming may be something I can hack, since I reverse engineered that on the S4.  I've found a few .ols files and a2l's, for the GTI, which I would think may at least offer a starting point to locating maps like has been done between the various S4 boxes by identifying the offsets and shifting the definitions... I may be completely wrong in my belief though.  But it sounds like flashing over OBD isn't possible with galletto.

I also saw I can get ECU's off ebay relatively cheap - the question is - is there anything above and beyond the immobilizer that would prevent me from using a different ECU?  I have read various comments before about ECU swaps being a dealer task - just didn't know if that was truth or speculation, and if I'd have to clone the serial eeprom, etc.

At this point I am just rambling and it is steak and beer time...

Thanks for the input Smiley
RaraK

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:40:54 AM »

Perspective definitely appreciated Smiley

Just for the record I'm not anti-tuner... the problem is, I'm anti-bad-tuner...  For example, the boost oscillation at high load in 6th gear would drive me crazy as I rarely downshift to pass.  To me, that seems like something very easy to fix with the proper approach to tuning the PID.  Again it seems specific to the downpipe...

I'm not looking for a ragged edge tune, just something that has a little more punch and isn't putting the turbo in jeopardy or generating obnoxious cylinder pressures.  This is my commuter and since every SUV now seems to have 400hp, I could use a little more power Smiley

I have been burned by bad tunes in the past, and felt I wasted money on a K03 flash for my S4 that didn't last long - something I couldn't really resell either, which then led to k04's and a 4 year long tuning debacle that was never resolved.  The last thing I want to do is blow up the turbo, get suckered into a K04, conrods, another tune, etc...  I have been makin' it rain cash over the years and really not getting my money's worth, at least in my opinion.  For that kind of scratch I'll be putting GT's and a 3 liter in the S4 thank you... Wink

I guess my approach was from the standpoint that I trashed the S4's old crappy tune, put hybrids on the S4, tuned it from a stock m-box, and it's a monster now... 

Anyway, if there was a safe and easy way to read and flash via OBD, the checksumming may be something I can hack, since I reverse engineered that on the S4.  I've found a few .ols files and a2l's, for the GTI, which I would think may at least offer a starting point to locating maps like has been done between the various S4 boxes by identifying the offsets and shifting the definitions... I may be completely wrong in my belief though.  But it sounds like flashing over OBD isn't possible with galletto.

I also saw I can get ECU's off ebay relatively cheap - the question is - is there anything above and beyond the immobilizer that would prevent me from using a different ECU?  I have read various comments before about ECU swaps being a dealer task - just didn't know if that was truth or speculation, and if I'd have to clone the serial eeprom, etc.

At this point I am just rambling and it is steak and beer time...

Thanks for the input Smiley

MPPS can do it over OBD

I would buy and APR chip for the mk5 if you wanted to spend money on a tune, my ex girlfriend had the apr stg1 on her 06 gti dsg, I saw nothing wrong with it, no weird oscillations that concerned me.  Worked as advertised.  I am an APR fanboy i guess you could say because out of every chip tuning company out there, i tihnk they got some of the hottest stuff going on.  Thats the only reason i like them, just respect for what they have done Smiley

Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:36:47 AM »

Yeah, APR was the first on my list... The trouble is the local dealer is kind of a putz.  There is another local shop that is doing their own tuning now, but I have yet to talk to them, from what I am told they are cool and have a dyno so any issues probably could be ironed out relatively cheaply.

Does APR offer a trade-up credit if you go from stage 2+ to stage 3?  I could have sworn I read that before somewhere.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:59:34 AM »

How do you feel about the reliability of the MPPS clones?

There are several out there that claim to work including updating checksums.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-SMPS-MPPS-CHIP-TUNING-REMAP-TOOL-FLASGER-UPGRADED-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2310a3e742QQitemZ150603032386QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
RaraK

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »

A friend of mine just got a MPPS clone ordered, has not arrived yet, i can test and let you know.  You can get newer versions as well via some smart guys over at digital kaos.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

Definitely keep me posted.  If I grab one I'll pick up a junkyard ECU to play with first on the bench to test the flash function and checksumming...  I'd imagine I would be able to see any issues on the bench before I brick the ECU in my car.   Shocked Grin
Rick

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

Is it THAT different to ME7 that it should be stayed away from?

Rick
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »

I have heard that they are very similar to tune.

But I've also heard some claims I thought to be kind of ridiculous (dealer having to code the ECU to your VIN or cloning the serial eeprom that's located under 10 miles of kryptonite-epoxy), etc...
RaraK

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »

Is it THAT different to ME7 that it should be stayed away from?

Rick

knowing me7 to start is good, i mean, learning me7 or me9 takes a large amount of time either way...
ericpaulyoung

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »

Rarak,
So did you ever test out your buddies MPPS?
EPY
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: