Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: is it possible to bend rods with a k03s turbo...  (Read 12972 times)
_nameless

« on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

blocks pulled apart and what i have found today tells me that it is possible...
will upload pics when i get home. Just installing new h beam rods found cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 rods where slightly bent... hmm... any thoughts?

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »

detonation.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adam-

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »

Yeah.  High mile ones are known to bend at standard power, let alone a mapped one.

Its called the rod lottery, you might get lucky, you might not.

If its bad enough, it'll hit the squirter too.  That said, I'm running NLS and AL and mine gets death on a daily basis.  128k so far, and it seems reet.

So yeah, very possible.
_nameless

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »

Yeah.  High mile ones are known to bend at standard power, let alone a mapped one.

If its bad enough, it'll hit the squirter too.  That said, I'm running NLS and AL and mine gets death on a daily basis.  128k so far, and it seems reet.

So yeah, very possible.

Not bad but def bent old and new rods... just picked up a gonzo gttx turb and 630cc injectors for $600 so I figured before I destroyed my block I should throw some rods in her can't wait to get back together with new lsd too... and that was with 221,000mi
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:35:12 PM by Marty » Logged

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
turboat

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 12:57:18 AM »

Was there any signs that the rods were bent, knock or rattling? Out of interest what's the part no on the bent ones, what engine did they come out of?
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »

Was there any signs that the rods were bent, knock or rattling? Out of interest what's the part no on the bent ones, what engine did they come out of?
Honestly I couldn't tell cam chain was a little noise that was the main reason for the over haul... one thing led to another pulled apart to find to my surprise. Its a 2002 awp engine code factory 180 hp... rods are in the scrap heap next time im up there ill take a look at the #

userpike

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »

Honestly I couldn't tell cam chain was a little noise that was the main reason for the over haul... one thing led to another pulled apart to find to my surprise. Its a 2002 awp engine code factory 180 hp... rods are in the scrap heap next time im up there ill take a look at the #

uh ohhh, thats my engine code and I'm running a k04-023 on a 200000+ mile long block. Guess I should invest in some connecting rods. At least the stock ones bend instead of break..

Can you post a pic of the rod bearings?
_nameless

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »

not at the moment but Ill take a pic tomorrow when i get back up there.

carsey

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »

Peak cylinder pressures will bend a rod.  they will go if you spike silly boost on a k03s.
_nameless

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »

Peak cylinder pressures will bend a rod.  they will go if you spike silly boost on a k03s.
It was quite high... was using forge waste gate... was going for 250 wheel...
... was happy with dyno... didn't last long... I'm just glad I decided to pull it apart when I did... was stupid bought a co2 cooler for my frontmount to get more from the excessively high temp stupidly high boost (poor turbo and reason for new turbo) thanks to the waste gate and I'm sure it wasn't set right

userpike

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »

... was happy with dyno...

what was the best dyno run?
carsey

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »

No need to run a k03s over 21psi tbh.  Anything else and they just turn into a heat blower and have no effect on power.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »

No need to run a k03s over 21psi tbh.  Anything else and they just turn into a heat blower and have no effect on power.

This. And... detonation.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
userpike

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »

were you using the hard LC/NLS at all?
userpike

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »

Yeah.  High mile ones are known to bend at standard power, let alone a mapped one.

If its bad enough, it'll hit the squirter too.  That said, I'm running NLS and AL and mine gets death on a daily basis.  128k so far, and it seems reet.

So yeah, very possible.

you FWD? If so, what are your LC/NLS settings?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: