Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build Netherlands  (Read 6499 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« on: May 19, 2014, 05:23:50 AM »

Hi everybody, registering from the Netherlands here.
My name is Tijn, 27yrs old and I have been working on VW vans for the last 5 years or so. My first one was a '82 2.0 CU aircooled flat 4, which was ok but needed a lot of maintainance. I drove the bus for about 70.000kms and then I bought my second bus. Same model but one year older with the same engine but this one was defective. I sold the engine and bought a 1994 2.0 8v from a Golf MK3 which I converted into the van (accompanied by some other improvements like welding the body, new suspension and 4x disk brake conversion, spraypainting, poptop etc etc).

The headlights I designed myself and are made from clear glass headlights off a golf MK2, universal H1 HID projectors with 6000k Xenon and the rings off a BMW x5. Another project I am working on right now is this:

An upgrade for my upgraded brakes  Huh Tongue
But that has nothing to do with ecu's and tuning so here is my story:

The 2.0 was running fine, but I was looking for the extra bump. I think it is around 120-125hp with the current software, stock 115. I was building a new 2.0 8v, with a different camshaft and stainless exhaust manifold but then I stumbeled over a 1.8t AEB engine for a few euros  Grin
Bought it, and now it is waiting in my garage for the next level conversion. I am always into learning and understanding the way my engines work, so this is why I registered here: I like to read about tuning (especially turbo'd engines) and think it is cool to run personal tunes on stock ecu systems. The only reason why I would buy a standalone system is because my primary fuel is LPG and the timing and fueling could be adressed on 2 levels. But first I would like to learn about my M3.8 (?) ecu that is with the AEB.
I registered on the chiptuners.org forum and did some posts overthere, but there is not many replies and it feels that forum is flooded with people registering with the message "I want to learn chiptuning, to tune my own car not for professional give me all the info please" and the more serious people just not responding anymore  Roll Eyes

Ok about the engine:
stock turbo, stock fueling, double sidemount IC (due to engine in the back)
I am building a full 3" stainless turbo back exhaust without a catalytic converter.
I have replaced the flywheel for a solid mass with new 228mm sachs clutch.
I have made an adapterplate to fit the gearbox flipped upside down to the engine to have 5 gears to the front and 1 rear in my van (engine is behind gearbox) and this is already finished.

The oil filter support is swapped for a straight one, now clearing the adaptor plate  Wink

I bought one chip off ebay Kiss to test it (resocket in ecu, seller promised 196hp/279Nm @ 1.3bar peak) (this triggered a few replies in chiptuners.org though haha) but I am currently trying to read the files to see what the tuner has changed. I do not have a plc44 reader yet, so I am only just looking in the ori files I found of chiptuners. My main problem is understanding the values (or axis, I see the numbers but dont know if were talking RPM, load, temp, Inj times etc), so that is what I will be trying to find on this forum first. When I have my ECU socketed it will be at least easy to swap chips during tests.
Goals are around 200CHP on stock turbo, if I get used to that I am interested in porting the turbo and building my own hybrid. Final goal for this build lies around 250WHP.
Well thats about it, hope I can learn some 100110011000100101011100110 here  Grin

_nameless

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:59:20 AM »

Wow what a first post! Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it. I posted a few aeb def files for winols about a week ago that might be some use to you. Welcome and hope to read more on this project!

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
eliotroyano

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »

Great post Tijn, and really nice project. The 1.8T AEB is an american longitudinal Audi version of the 1.8T you commonly see in A3s, Golfs, Leon and other cars. It is common in USA, but no so much in Europe.
I think that could be a great start up point to use a newer ECU for 1.8T AEB based in a PSOP44 than the PLC44 IC. It also could be flashable using MPPS avoiding you countless chip change for tuning. Also another newer ECU M383 or M592 would be great too, because all these 1.8T DBC M383 & M592 ECUs have almost the same pinout and would be interchangable.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply's already, @Marty I will look for the files, thanks  Smiley
@eliotroyano, the AEB engine is fitted to most early A4's around here and suited my needs by being DBC, non-IMMO and having the same base parts as my current engine (827 block). I like to keep things "simple" at first Grin
I read some posts about adding power to an ECU pin, but this would only work on the (or some) M3.8.3 right? If I really get into the tuning, I think I would first look for a rewritable chip, the removing and refitting is something I can live with. For now, understanding is what I'm after, I know enough about engine managements to see there is a lot of important factors to consider. My first goal in the learning process would be understanding what systems interact and why there are certain values in the tables. This will probably be enough to learn about for the next year or so  Tongue
Something I want to do in any case is when the engine is in the van is test it on a dyno. In my town we have a motorsports company that has an engine dyno and a 2wd dyno, so I can at least test the original chip compared to the tuned one I already have. For the tuning(adjusting) itself I plan on buying a wideband and doing mostly roadtests, because the company here charges big money per run and are only specialized in their own management systems.
See you later!

eliotroyano

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »

Thanks for the reply's already, @Marty I will look for the files, thanks  Smiley
@eliotroyano, the AEB engine is fitted to most early A4's around here and suited my needs by being DBC, non-IMMO and having the same base parts as my current engine (827 block). I like to keep things "simple" at first Grin
I read some posts about adding power to an ECU pin, but this would only work on the (or some) M3.8.3 right?

Good point about the 1.8T AEB, I don't know that. About the +12V to pin 43, it is tipically the procedure of MPPS to flash those ECUs from the OBD port or outside the ECU without open it, desolder, etc......... Generally all these ecus are DBC, some have immo others not as you mention, but basically all are very similar.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:25:40 AM »

I have been trying to get the definitions in winols, but no success yet. Seems that all the files I found have got totally different maps in them, and the map packs do not elaborate on the axis data.
I am starting a project thread, perhaps it is cleaner to discuss about further investigation and possibilities in that section  Smiley
Only problem is I navigated to the previous page during the writing of that item and lost all of my text. oops Cry

Typed it again, here is the link: Project page
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:13:04 AM by TijnCU » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: