Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Totally tech savvy, totally wrench savvy, totally scared lol... So how do I??  (Read 30003 times)
sweegie

OP: Have you retrieved the current binary that's running on your car right now? That would be a good place to start Wink

There's a steep learning curve involved with the DIY route and if there are no tuned files specifically written for your cars hardware in the public domain, the only solutions are to learn yourself and write your own tune, or pay for a file.

There's no such thing as a free lunch; you're either going to spend time or money Wink
AboveNBeyond

You have no idea how many times we have seen these same questions asked.
I guess that's probably true... Me though, I guess my OP fits in that class but I'd like to actually learn how to write my own, I'm certain I have the skills. Turnin wrenches for 26 years, racing almost the same, pushing keys on keyboards for 14 professionally, certified in Linux, c++ experience, etc. I dunno what it takes to write them yet but when I do, I think I'll enjoy it.

You have to understand that a solid 70 percent of new members come here just looking for a file. Trying to keep order is very stressful. Don't take it personally.

My apologies
AboveNBeyond

OP: Have you retrieved the current binary that's running on your car right now? That would be a good place to start Wink
Going to do this today.

There's no such thing as a free lunch; you're either going to spend time or money Wink
Omfg are  you just trying to be funny, this some kind of "haha I'll add another "free lunch" comment just to be a prick?

Listen up everyone... I'M NOT ASKING FOR ANYBODYS LUNCH! in effort to save time and cause my car NEEDS a file now, already... I'd be glad to buy one. BUT IM STILL GOING TO LEARN HOW. Damn!
userpike

Going to do this today.
Omfg are  you just trying to be funny, this some kind of "haha I'll add another "free lunch" comment just to be a prick?

Listen up everyone... I'M NOT ASKING FOR ANYBODYS LUNCH! in effort to save time and cause my car NEEDS a file now, already... I'd be glad to buy one. BUT IM STILL GOING TO LEARN HOW. Damn!

There is no such thing as saving time here unless you are a speed reader. Your car doesn't NEED a file now, as your car will get you around just fine on a stock file. You want one for free and if you can't get one you'll pay for it, plain and simple. It's only a big deal to you because you've been called out on it and you're blowed about not getting the "help" you desire. ..and it's a big deal to some of us to weed out the lazy people. This is a DIY not a DIFY site. (although there are people on here that will gladly take your money for their efforts)

So calm down, take a breath or two and prepare yourself to read mad pages of info YOU THINK you don't need to know because of your inexperience. If you have questions use the search box before you ask because the answers are most likely here already.

If you stick with it the "puzzle pieces" fall together nicely and the reward is pretty darn amazing.
cerips

I'm confused, in your first post in this thread you ask for a file and now you're picking a fight with everyone on here.

As has already been mentioned ask specific questions about how you can tune your ecu for your car.
tjwasiak

I'm confused, in your first post in this thread you ask for a file and now you're picking a fight with everyone on here.

As has already been mentioned ask specific questions about how you can tune your ecu for your car.
First he should read... Then try... Asking questions should be backed not only by proper logs but also by some knowledge and experience IMHO.
sweegie

Quote from: AboveNBeyond
Going to do this today.

Good stuff. Have you made any decisions on how you're going to tackle editing the file?

Quote from: AboveNBeyond
I'M NOT ASKING FOR ANYBODYS LUNCH!

How about dessert? You can't have your cake and eat it either, unfortunately. Try a diet of technical German for a bit Wink
userpike

Try a diet of technical German for a bit Wink

for real...
AboveNBeyond

From the way this sentence reads you certainly are looking for "free lunch", just sayin..

So while you're "just sayin" let me TELL you... in my OP I asked
"Is there anything on this site for my ecu matching well with my mods.
Is there a safe way to flash my ECU?"

I ASKED THIS BECAUSE GIAC REQUIRES A CHIP TO BE SOLDERED IN!
I asked if there was anything that pertained to my ECU on this site because I WAS NOT SURE if my ECU required a chip to be added NO MATTER WHAT!!

My secondary comment " if someone had a file that I could flash to my ecu that was already modified to give me something like a stage 1 or 2, I'd be a happy camper."

I AM ASKING "IF", meaning if someone had something that was already modded, and said "give me something like a stage 1 or 2" because "IF" someone did, that meant it's possible, NOT THAT I WAS GOING TO JUST USE THEIR FILE AS IS! This would confirm to me a CHIP was NOT required, I could review a file, compare to my stock, LEARN from it... MOD it as needed for MY ECU/CAR... then FLASH it to mine "IF" possible!

Apparently you missed my apology in that post about my verbiage might not be correct!

But hey, way to welcome a new guy to the forum! Dumb a$$!
AboveNBeyond

You want one for free and if you can't get one you'll pay for it, plain and simple. It's only a big deal to you because you've been called out on it and you're blowed about not getting the "help" you desire...

So calm down, take a breath or two and prepare yourself to read mad pages of info YOU THINK you don't need to know because of your inexperience. If you have questions use the search box before you ask because the answers are most likely here already.

If you stick with it the "puzzle pieces" fall together nicely and the reward is pretty darn amazing.

I think you misunderstood me from the get go, or my lack of proper verbiage to keep you from flexing your muscles may have been the case... but I am simply defending myself against all you guys who don't know sh!t about me, what I am willing to do... would or will I pay for a file, sure. Would I accept a free one sure... I DONT EXPECT a free one... and besides, why not ask, why not see if someone who has experience says hey "dont start with square wheels, round ones work better"

You guys a bustin my balls and if you look again at my OP you'll see I am simply asking "IF"... then my 2nd post I ask about a file I found because again, GIAC requires a chip to be soldered in. I asked about that file because I was trying to find out if FLASHING ANYTHING to my ECU was possible!
AboveNBeyond

Yup, your confused!
AboveNBeyond

Good stuff. Have you made any decisions on how you're going to tackle editing the file?

How about dessert? You can't have your cake and eat it either, unfortunately. Try a diet of technical German for a bit Wink

Following the wiki and the software in this forum, thanks. and bl0w me about your stupid a$$ comment about dessert, enough already!

You guys outta be offering help and guidance, and someone said I was pickin fights lmao
ddillenger

The hazing is now over. Let's move past this guys.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
AboveNBeyond

The hazing is now over. Let's move past this guys.

Thank you... I will do as suggested and create a new thread in my ECU area with the logs, info, etc. For those who did offer up positive advice, again... Thank you!
sweegie

Following the wiki and the software in this forum, thanks.
TunerPro will work for you, if you can either find, or build an XDF file that's compatible with the file you pulled off your car. It's just a descriptor file that tells TunerPro what location in the binary the specific maps are located at. Have you looked at a well defined binary / XDF combination from here yet? The XDF files have to be made by hand and are specific to each binary, but with some pattern matching skills, you can use an existing well defined binary / XDF combination and adapt this for the file you pull from your car.

You can also get the WinOLS demo from EVC that is very good indeed for this style of reverse engineering. I'd recommend looking into both, for a start.

and bl0w me about your stupid a$$

Sorry mate, you're not my type! Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: