Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243332 times)
turboat

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »

When doing an engine conversion, I always start off getting it up and running with a standard map or known good ecu, so you are not chasing hardware & wiring issues in software, and vice versa.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

Yes, that was my initial plan. I have had spark and fuel on my old ecu (fitted with std eprom), but after soldering the soic8 chip to remove the immo (was cutting spark after a couple of cranks) I lost all communication and the ecu does not boot. Doublechecked the wiring with external setup, nothing worked. Last option was to test it in another car, but I dont know anybody with the old style connectors. So I searched online for another ecu, found this APU type with all other stuff together for about the same price as a new old AEB ecu... Dont want to invest in that old type when I can get a flashable ecu for 30€ shipped  Grin now just hope this ecu works, will connect to vagcom before turning the key. I will start off with the standard APU 150hp tune offcourse.

ddillenger

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »

Yes, that was my initial plan. I have had spark and fuel on my old ecu (fitted with std eprom), but after soldering the soic8 chip to remove the immo (was cutting spark after a couple of cranks) I lost all communication and the ecu does not boot. Doublechecked the wiring with external setup, nothing worked. Last option was to test it in another car, but I dont know anybody with the old style connectors. So I searched online for another ecu, found this APU type with all other stuff together for about the same price as a new old AEB ecu... Dont want to invest in that old type when I can get a flashable ecu for 30€ shipped  Grin now just hope this ecu works, will connect to vagcom before turning the key. I will start off with the standard APU 150hp tune offcourse.

018P is wonderful software to work with.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »

There was at least more written on it than on my old aeb file or the new apu file. Only topics I found where about the 512kb file coming off the ecu pretending to be 1024 lol Grin
I checked the AA, AR and P files in ME7checker but I am not sure if they are cross flashable. Maybe the AR, this one gave more or less the same results.
*But with the definitions for the AA ecu it is no problem to work on this one instead of flashing another file.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:55:37 AM by TijnCU » Logged

eliotroyano

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 05:03:17 AM »

TijnCU here (http://www.finjector.com/) you can find old style connectors. If you found an ME7.5 + wiring harness per 30€ shipped, you have done an awesome deal. Anyway if you need I have a complete spreadsheet that I can share, about how to use an old style M38x/M592 wiring loom with a new ME7.5 ECU. It include sensors functionality matching.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:05:03 AM by eliotroyano » Logged
turboat

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 05:35:51 AM »

That would be pretty useful if you could post it up
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »

Yes that would be usefull documentation! I got the ecu shipped for 30€ total but the loom was a bit more. Got one from the same APU engine for 50€, the pedal, throttle body and map sensor where another 50 in total. So all together no bad deal considering I may sell my old stuff. I am curious to ser if the sensors give the correct signals, but I think it will be fine. Perhaps your info can clarify this a bit more Cool

eliotroyano

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »

Yes that would be usefull documentation! I got the ecu shipped for 30€ total but the loom was a bit more. Got one from the same APU engine for 50€, the pedal, throttle body and map sensor where another 50 in total. So all together no bad deal considering I may sell my old stuff. I am curious to ser if the sensors give the correct signals, but I think it will be fine. Perhaps your info can clarify this a bit more Cool

I have been trying to post it without luck. I always recieve a "session expired" error when I try to upload it.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 12:24:03 AM »

I have been looking in the document Eliotroyano has sent me, it is indeed a very nice document. I also tried to upload it but for me the same error. I try it once more as a rar doc.
The maf plug on my new harness is different from my AEB plug, and does not match the colours from the document which is written for M3.8.3. I'll go through my ElsaWin docs to figure it out, or look for another MAF.
Yesterday I spent some time on my welder, got most of my exhaust ready for TIGwelding. Hope to finish it next week.
Downpipe and pre-silencer:

Positioning rear silencer:

Connecting pipework between silencers:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:18:46 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 05:24:56 AM »

ElsaWin schematics on 3 versions of ECU/MAF. Don't know if I can get away with my original MAFsensor since on the ME7.5 version there is no direct ground? I'm not sure if the sensor is compatible with the different setup.

4th image is from Elio's document, and when I look at that I think it is possible to just wire things up first and see what happens  Grin
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:44:10 AM by TijnCU » Logged

eliotroyano

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »

ElsaWin schematics on 3 versions of ECU/MAF. Don't know if I can get away with my original MAFsensor since on the ME7.5 version there is no direct ground? I'm not sure if the sensor is compatible with the different setup.
4th image is from Elio's document, and when I look at that I think it is possible to just wire things up first and see what happens  Grin

TijnCU be careful you can not use an old HFM2 MAF with an ME7.5 ECU. That is the meaning of MAF info in my spreadsheet.
MAF info and tables in both software are totally different. ME7.5 uses newer HFM5 MAF.
My idea is to use existing wiring to match functionality for ME7.5 with newer HFM5 MAF, but no use old style HFM2 MAFs.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »

Ah okay, it is ment to be a guide for using existing wires on new ecu and sensors then right?
Well, because I didnt really trust on my old MAF working and because I have a 3" filter anyway, I ordered a 071906461B VR6 MAF today. I am not sure if I will rescale it right away, I might just put the sensor in my old housing first.  Grin

Got the exhaust finished for the final welding, I like it  Smiley

Hopefully its finished by wednesday. In the meantime I will make an adapter loom kit to get the electronics sorted  Huh
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:17:32 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »

Finished the exhaust today, my first time on the tig welder. Spent at least 4 hours non stop melting metal, but the result is pleasing enough. Need to sand the whole thing down now and put the tips on, and measure for the lambda bungs. Forgot to bring them with me  Undecided

as seen through the flange into the flex pipe:

The guy who owned the machine saved me a present:
A 95.5mm stroke forged crank  Grin came out of an 1z tdi block. Will put that in a special place for the follow up project after a couple of years probably Tongue
No start yet, got the schematics done and just need to link the plugs together. I made a small bench setup but could not connect to the ecu with my vagcommander china unit. It worked on the tacho unit though, so the cable must work sometimes. It wasnt stable on my old engine so I dont think its a problem with the ecu just yet. I expect a galetto cable this week in case of bad luck, my harness consists of pin 3,21,62 and 121 +, 43 k and 1,2 gnd. Should work right?
**Bought an 018AR ecu for spare, ecu comes from an APU engine too. How do I verify if they can be cross-flashed? Is testing in ME7checker  adequate or do I need visual inspection on the flashroms? Attached is the checker result of both ECU's, my new ecu has software 0001 though (got this 0006 one off the web)
***Did some more testing today, managed to connect to the ecu with my blue cable via nefmoto and galetto. Could not read because of the immo, and galetto seems to crash at 80% with notification unable to switch speed or something. I could not connect with my K+can commander. Then used my cables on my friends TT180 in car, managed to connect on 3 versions of software but k+can commander and Nefmoto both fail in reading the flash.
Then plugged my ecu in the car and started, it fired up right away and then died because of immo. So at least I know my APU ecu is good, just need to bootmode the immo off I guess (was hoping for the easy K+Can commander immo off...)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:25:50 PM by TijnCU » Logged

eliotroyano

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »

I have been trying to post it without luck. I always recieve a "session expired" error when I try to upload it.

Finally I upload it to my cloud, to share it --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/gc9asb7xbc889rf/M383_to_ME7_ECU_Harness_Conversion.xls
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »

Went to the junkyard today to pick up some plugs I needed. Then I made some of those plugs into a bench setup Grin
I worked with a battery charger first, but now I am just using a simple 0.7a 12v adaptor. I implemented an ignition switch and a bootmode cable (coiled up). Read my flash in 3 minutes with Nefmoto software  Smiley
Yesterday I removed the Immobilizer from the EEPROM with Argdub and Turboat's tools. Many thanks! The fact I was now able to read the flash is promising, before Nefmoto would say that my immo was on and could not read the flash.

Still waiting for my maf sensor to arrive, but I got all plugs to make a new wiring harness to my bus fusebox and the plugs and sensors for clutch and brake.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: