Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243334 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »

Does anybody know if I am in fact able to start the engine without the maf and the coolant temp sensor attached? I have been working on the engine this night and connected all cables. I have doubts about my relay setup so I will fix that next time. I had fuel pressure, so the ecu is powering the fuelpump relay. I have not yet seen spark.
Will drive by the dealer next time for the tempsensor, but it would be a mayor relief if somone could confirm the engine will not fire without it... Otherwise I have some more searching to do Undecided

ddillenger

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »

It'll run without those.

It may not run with faulty ones though.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2014, 12:36:22 AM »

Okay, thanks! Need to look into the wiring a bit more then... Frustrating though Undecided

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »

I placed my AA ecu, and I have spark on 4 plugs outside of the block, but when I fit them and crank I get no start but 4 wet plugs. My timing belt might be off 1 tooth, I pulled the valve cover today and found out the notch on the exhaust cam does not fully aligns with the cam sprocket marker. I may have set it to the wrong side when placing the new belt, since I could not get crankshaft marker and cam sprocket marker to align 100%. It did not interfere when I tested it 720 degrees by hand so I expect no damage.
Vagcom shows airbag fault code, and occasionally N249 and EPC warning light error. No MAF attached, engine temp sensor is attached now and is showing good values. Throttle is adapted and OK. It also moves a little on cranking, between 1 and 5 degrees I believe.
Vagcom shows timing at 4.5deg where specified 6-11? Is the engine picking up the cam offset in this measuring block or is it the normal value for a non-running engine?
I'm slowly getting there  Grin I will properly check the timing later this week. Any other thoughts?

turboat

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »

Post a copy of your faults from vcds
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 06:41:31 AM »

Didnt copy them, was working on my other laptop. It was only the airbag code implausible signal and n249 open or short to ground. Did not get any codes for my missing MAF or 02 sensors...
Tested cranking without cam sensor, no result (got a code camshaft sensor open or short to ground which I erased after). My next steps will be:
-recheck timing belt. If it is fine after all:
-check ignition timing compared to camshaft (that it is not on the wrong stroke)
-check fuel rail injection while cranking (hope I dont explode)
-check fuel rail pressure
then if all is fine I guess my spark is not strong enough to ignite, but that would be strange on 4 coils with new plugs at the same time...Or the plugs heatrange are way out of spec  Roll Eyes

turboat

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 07:15:26 AM »

They will run with a faulty/missing cam sensor, but it usually takes a few goes to start them as the ECU doesnt know if its on the compression stroke or not.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »

Thanks for that info, I suspected that so I hoped to clear the possibility my cam pos sensor was wrong or misaligned by removing the plug from the sensor. It did not affect the starting attempt. I'm putting my money on the timingbelt, even though I dont know if the sparkplugs would get wet in this situation... If its not the case, there is another defect, but I cant imagine the coils are firing in the wrong order or something like that.
**something crossed my mind real quick: I'm assuming the wet spark plugs are wet with flammable gas. I will get a fresh tank of gas to feed the fuel pump, who knows my tank has filled with water over time  Grin I know that this gas what is inside the tank is at least 3 months old, maybe more. I always drove on LPG so maybe it has lost some of its flammability. I have never encountered a problem with starting on old gasoline though, but on the other hand I never had my car sit still outside for so long. Just ruling things out here. The plugs are certainly not wet from coolant, because the system is empty. If I have been attempting to start on some unburnable liquid, I will feel real stupid Wink
***Timing belt was off by a tooth, cam was delayed. Checked for fuel spray, injectors fire in the correct order. It does not really smell like petrol around the car, but I did not have any more time. Tomorrow I bring a fresh tank of gas and place my other cars battery in stead of jump starting it. Spark did not look super strong, more white-ish and sometimes even a tad yellow (on wide gapped spare sparkplug though)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:11:37 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »

http://youtu.be/AMThmzY7CVw

Replaced fuel. Replaced battery. Its alive! Lol Grin
Intake is not yet attached but you get the point.

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 04:16:10 AM »

Custom stainless inlet piping, got everything hooked up now and just need to weld in a map-adaptor.

I am making a custom full stainless  2.75" tip as well, need to wait for the silicone adaptors to finish it. Untill then I will run the standard tip.

The cooling system is hooked up, had to make a T-adapter to replicate the oem coolant schematics with the reservoir on the waterpump inlet. I topped it off with fluid yesterday night, and tomorrow I will bleed the system.
and got a FIS speedo, a friend bought this for €25,- but couldt get it to fit in his car Grin I'll find a way to fit it, they are cool.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:32:14 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »

Had my first ride today! Haha just around the house to move the bus inside the shed, its super rainy these days. I finally made some custom intake thing that connects the s3 maf to the standard TIP. It did not even idle on my standard tune when I connected it, it died after a couple of seconds. So I flashed my very first "tune" to my spare ecu and plugged it in, and hooray! It starts, idles and does not misfire :-) Only problem I encountered was that I did not yet make an adaptor for the pressure sensor, but it was already plugged in. So I got some kind of rev limit on 3000 rpm and no boost. Unplugged the sensor and it was smooth again. Next week I will hopefully do the last tig welding on my pipework (02 bungs in the downpipe and the pressure sensor after the 2nd IC).
Now I need to connect the gear selector linkage with a change of direction and a change of rotation, made the first part today and hope to drive the bus back home tomorrow  Smiley

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »

v1 is finished, anybody that can comment? I have a checksummed version ready to flash, will be using a stock 150hp ecu (with just the 225maf scaling(which idles super clean at 800rpm)) and this version for logging, same base file (018AA,512kb)
Changes:
MLHFM scaled for 225MAF (also in stock bin)
LDRXN raised to approx 18psi with taper
KFMIRL adjusted 4 blocks to allow max load LDRXN
KFMIOP adjusted 4 blocks to match KFMIRL
LAMFA adjusted for max Lambda=0.80
KFZW adapted to 180 mapping as base for logging
KFLDHBN adjusted to max boost with taper for  70degC iat (mostly decreased numbers from stock file strange enough  Shocked)
LDRXNZK adjusted to max load=160 and 180hp values
ME7 Launchcontrol VNMX/DNMAXH/ITNMXH/NMAX/NMAXOG/TMOTNMX/TNMXH

*I am still missing some definitions, so there are maps that I wanted to adress that are not in the xdf. This is just a map to get started and experiment with tuning. Feel free to point me to important maps that I did not define!
Wont be driving this yet because I need to sort my gearbox and weld in 02 and MAP sensor. But couldnt wait to start tuning :-)

Current hardware to take into account:
AEB block/head
Full 3" exhaust, no cat, high flow silencers
3" MAF with K&N open filter into stock TIP (this will be a stainless 80-70mm TIP soon)
Ported wastegate K03-005
Twin 2" smic
Adjustable FPR but at the moment at stock

Tested the ecu today nov 20 and it starts, idles and rev limits at 4400rpm, according to LC function and with slight rev bounce :-)
Adjusted KFMIOP with interpolate exel file in version 018AA_v1a
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:11:55 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 02:11:53 AM »

I drove the first 35 km from my workplace to my home, everything is still working  Roll Eyes had some throttle cut now and then, logically without the map sensor. I was probably in limp mode. Couldnt select 5th gear yet, but at 3100rpm in 4th @ 100km/h it was already better than my old short 4spd box.
I can make more progress with the bus on my driveway, since I dont need to drive to another town to get started. A friend wants to bring his TIG to my house after next week, so I dont need to drive the engine without map sensor.

Electronic throttle in place

ready to go

raised deck trial

finally able to see the floor again

old A4 cluster (non FIS) fitted and dash back in

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:47:44 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

I'm still working on my gear linkage, building v2 now. Less moving parts and should give a more direct control of the correct gears in the standard audi H pattern.
While working all of my powertools started to fail, so I started working on my manifold. Here are the 4 nozzles inserted opposite of the petrol injector seats:

Here with the injectors and rail connected, all equal lengths between nozzles and injectors and paired lengths between 1-4 and 2-3 injectors and rail.

Almost invisible with the manifold mounted on the car  Wink These lpg injectors will outflow the petrol injectors by ~20% but probably the k03 is already out of breath before  Grin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:51:02 PM by TijnCU » Logged

turboat

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »

What lpg setup are you going for?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: