Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: 1981 VW T3 1.8turbo build  (Read 243312 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2015, 02:09:51 PM »

My new old turbo has arrived thursday, at first glance it seemed just fine, a little bit of play but nothing shocking. I took it apart for further inspection, and found some damages. Cracks in the wastegate area, but worse is a cracked area in the turbine rotating zone, which had made contact with the turbine wheel. Not visible from the outside, but doesnt look fancy. So I think I will try to weld and grind/port the turbine housing, the wheel I am not sure of. Maybe smooth the edges and balance, maybe put in a new wheel and balance. Compressor wheel and housing are perfect.

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »

I've been thinking about my options with the turbo, there is something I can't get clear. Maybe one on here knows, average internet search result is either worthless or at the best inconclusive... * i found a bw catalog with sizes, see pics.*
A k04-015 looks very easy to machine to accept the 020 wheel, but I only want to do that if the A/R is the same. *BW CATALOG SHOWS DIFFERENT A/R*
If its not, I will stick to the 02x housing and fabricate a manifold adapter or a simple tubular manifold.
*the k03-073 seems to have the same turbine a/r as the k04-020. This could be a cool discovery, utilizing a k03 housing to match the k04-02x bolt on Shocked
Is it true? Has anybody built a machined k03-073 turbine with k04-02x chra and compressor housing?
K03-073 a/r 5cm2

K04-023 a/r 5cm2

K04-015 a/r 4cm2
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:40:19 PM by TijnCU » Logged

armageddon

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »

Does this help?

http://budeluke.co.uk/Box/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »

Yes, I have decided to go for a milder upgrade and build this 225 unit in a new k03 turbinehousing. I read about extra clearance and clipped turbines, I will see about my strategy when we start machining the housing. I will try to enhance the a/r as well, by machine and hand porting the housing. I dont want to blow all my money on this upgrade so I just buy a china turbine housing (45$), and have someone check my turbine wheel, with possible modifications. If its unuseable I might get a rs6 spec turbinewheel in there. Then new seals/bearing kit and balance and in she goes Smiley

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2015, 05:39:03 AM »

Put on my new wheels, I absolutely love them!

Rear 18x10

Front 18x8.5, will go 5mm more inside the arches with my new brakes

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »

All that traction needs strong driveshafts to finally kill the clutch, so when I found these 2 abandoned porsche driveshafts at the scrapyard for 25€ each I just had to take them home. Quickly dismanteled and cleaned up they really put a smile.on my face, they are in excellent condition and around 100€ for each CV joint new...
These units slide right on the bus driveshafts, and are stronger and allow for an additional 5 degrees of angle.

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »

Axles are installed and holding up great! No more clicks under decelleration. Also I took the time to finish my brake upgrade yesterday, it was a long day with lots if measuring, machining the hubs, pressing new bearings and the fabrication of the 2 brackets from 15mm 6086 aluminium (i had plenty left from the gearbox adapter).
After evening dinner it took us untill 1am to finish the actual install and bleeding the brakesystem. But I got to drive home with a new set of brakes in the end.
New 330mm vs old 288mm

Bracket

View from the outside

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »

Havent been tuning lately, way too busy at the moment. I had ordered some materials though, preparing for the next part of the build.
One set of oem rs6 mafs, one for me and one for my friend. So I can use the standard maf scaling again instead of the wrong sensor unit scaled for 80mm housing. (It's just not super accurate and more work to get it right than buying the right sensor) My friend has ordered 2 sets of 440cc's, I will be running them at 3 bar and he will get my 4bar regulator to go with the 2871r turbo.
I will stick with the oem k04-020 housing, but with a Mazdaspeed turbine wheel (44.5mm - 50mm full back) and the housing will be machined and ported to fit. Why? The turbine wheel is damaged, so I rather upgrade it to suit future needs. I will build a manifold that places the 02x housing slightly tilted at the same location as my current k03 is sitting, meeting the downpipe without modification. The compressor cover will be clocked to aim towards the ic. For now I will stay with the std compressor, but I am not sure about the driveability of the combo, might change the compressor too when I get near the end of the build. Balancing will be done at the very end anyway.
Air filter will go outside of the enginebay, with a straight 80mm diameter tube about 40cm long between the filter and the maf. Hope to see clean readings from then on  Roll Eyes
K04 tilted to longitudinal k03 downpipe position, clocked compressor:

New turbo inlet for the k04 (52-70mm), replaces my k03 reducer on my current tip (45-70mm).

# The rs6 maf is in and logs show a clean 150g/s now. Looks spot on for this k03-005 turbo! I do have heat soak issues so I will move my intake to a cooler place and put some wind guides on the ic's.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:13:39 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »

Latest log with cold(er) air intake, looks okay, just a few spots leaning to Lambda 1 during the acceleration. Could possibly make a bit more power when I get it smoothed out to 0.9 over the whole range. I also have to revise my wastegate pid because I think I get a small dip around 3000 rpm when the wgdc comes down from 95% a bit too fast (boost drops too far and comes back in to specified).
IAT's stay stable during the acceleration now, on longer runs with multiple gears it rises by 10`C. Zero timing corrections throughout!
2nd gear (logging at max 100km/h), ambient temp around 20`C, LPG fuel.

Filter is now in the wheel arch behind the suspension.

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2015, 12:51:09 AM »

I received my laser cut flanges yesterday, looking forward to constructing my own bolt on k04-02x for the longitudinal engine.

Still not sure if I go hybrid or not, might rebuild the turbo with a new turbine first. That's all for future concern, first holiday and building the manifold.

ddillenger

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:08 AM »

Very cool!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:39 PM »

By the way, if you want to save some fuel, make your cruising lambda about 1.15. If you can go leaner without misfiring, go leaner.
On LPG you can go as high as 1.3 on some engines with no issues at all, and you will save quite a bit of fuel.

This will require some mods to the ECU though. As it does not like requesting leaner than 1.
Or hack lambda linearization around the needed area somewhat.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »

I've been reading up on this for a while, and I'm interested in testing some different approaches on my ecu. I already thought about using my wideband to emulate the signal, but I actually would prefer to have it running on a stock sensor (so I can take out my WB when I want to test other cars). I am going to try the open loop approach first, and adjust just my LPG mapping to see how fuel trims and mileage respond.
I am currently not working on the hardware of the bus, since I have started tuning my friends car that we fitted a gt2860 on. Now that is a fun turbo to drive, I would not even be afraid to put it on my bus  Grin but will start rebuilding the K04 as soon as parts deliver and get started on the manifold later this summer or in the fall  Smiley
Oh yeah and I fried my 228mm clutch already (no, I dont launch all the time Wink ) so 240mm clutch kit is on its way.Guess the rwd kills the clutch faster with this torque then on a standard fwd with the same weight/power... Too bad, since my single mass 228mm Sachs kit was brand new when I put the engine in 20.000kms ago. I hope the stock 240mm will do the trick with the k04 as well, because after this upgrade, things get really expensive (and worse to drive daily...my biggest concern).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:16:25 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2015, 02:50:24 AM »

Working on the new clutch kit.
Ordered the parts, 240mm v8 disk and LT II pressure plate:

Then went to the breakers to find a suitable flywheel. Removed 3 solid flywheels from 1.6 petrol Audi's. On the lathe for resurfacing:

Then I made a tool to center the flywheel and clutch cover on the turning base of the mill.

Blind threading

Done!

Now I just need to get it balanced and borrow someone's hoist for a couple of hours Smiley

Today I swapped out my larger injectors with my friend, he was running my 370cc set at 4bar to keep his car on decent power until his new injectors went in. We replaced them with 550's wich run excellent now. So, finally my 370cc's back, cleaned them and put new seals on them. They run just fine on the 1.8t, maybe not as smooth as the 550's but well enough. They will support my k04 when it goes in, should outrun the turbo in any case at 4 bar. (We drove them up to 225g/s at decent afr)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:40:54 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »

I finally made up my mind about my turbo upgrade. It will be the k04-020 housings, but I will upgrade to a superback 44.5/50mm turbine and a 2280 ETT compressor  Cool
Ordered the wheels today, when they arrive and I find the time I'll start working on the housings. I'm curious how well it will flow, I'm not looking to push the maximum hp but a comfortable 275hp would be nice Roll Eyes but first I need to balance the flywheel....

Just for kicks I overlayed my current compressor and the new one.

I also plotted the map with some rough rpm/map data and now I understand why these setups tend to surge, this thing definately needs a short leash in the lower rpms  Smiley from my calculations no more than 15psi @ 3000 rpm or it will surge, havent looked at lower rpms because I dont know how it will exactly spool yet. We will find out later...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:59:24 AM by TijnCU » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: