Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who knows about LS1 tuning? Getting started on a new project  (Read 12485 times)
oldcarguy85

Hey,
So I'm finally building a v8 project i've wanted to do for a while.  I bought a 95 BMW 325is, an LQ9 6.0 chevy truck engine (same family as LS1) and am working on locating a t56 6 speed.  Put it all together and i'll have a sweet, nice handling, very fast car!

Questions is about tuning.  The people talking about these engines aren't exactly the most technically sophisticated people.  There doesn't appear to be any open-source or free tuning software whatsoever, and no ebay cables ( Sad ).  Anyone ever done any reverse engineering on these things?  I can't imagine this is anywhere near as complicated as, say, MED9.  I really don't want to pay some idiot $500 for some crappy tuning software when i just really need to figure out a way to read/write the ecu.

Anyway, thanks for any help!!  I know this is totally off topic for this forum.

-Jordan
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »

Hey,
So I'm finally building a v8 project i've wanted to do for a while.  I bought a 95 BMW 325is, an LQ9 6.0 chevy truck engine (same family as LS1) and am working on locating a t56 6 speed.  Put it all together and i'll have a sweet, nice handling, very fast car!

Questions is about tuning.  The people talking about these engines aren't exactly the most technically sophisticated people.  There doesn't appear to be any open-source or free tuning software whatsoever, and no ebay cables ( Sad ).  Anyone ever done any reverse engineering on these things?  I can't imagine this is anywhere near as complicated as, say, MED9.  I really don't want to pay some idiot $500 for some crappy tuning software when i just really need to figure out a way to read/write the ecu.

Anyway, thanks for any help!!  I know this is totally off topic for this forum.

-Jordan

What you want is tunercat.

Domestic (US) is easy. If Motronic had a  baby brother that got hit on the head very hard.....

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »

What you want is tunercat.

Domestic (US) is easy. If Motronic had a  baby brother that got hit on the head very hard.....

HODOR

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
oldcarguy85

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:02:49 AM »

What?? Hodor??

I think tunercat is no longer affordable. Jet tonic or someone bought their package and it's $500 now
tjwasiak

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:34:00 AM »

I would use standalone on such conversion as it might be PITA to use GM ECM with other controllers from BMW.
BTW. E36 with V8 does not handle that nicely, I would assume it will be even worse with heavy truck engine.
oldcarguy85

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:21:52 AM »

I would use standalone on such conversion as it might be PITA to use GM ECM with other controllers from BMW.
BTW. E36 with V8 does not handle that nicely, I would assume it will be even worse with heavy truck engine.
I figure it HAS to be at least better than a camaro. My last v8 car was a 650hp s10 blazer, so it will surely handle better then that!
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »

HODOR

That had me dying laughing.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
eliotroyano

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »

What about HP Tuners --> http://www.hptuners.com/index.php?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: