Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 3rd & 4th Gear WOT Runs for Revo Stage 2 on 1.8T BFV  (Read 45005 times)
TTQS
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 04:11:49 AM »

Which usually cause nothing but frustration to cars around you, such as anybody stuck behind 4 prius's running abreast on the freeway at 54 mph.

Nope, Nyet, I'm still not biting!  Wink

That particular issue is one for you Stateside boys to get steamed up about, but being a driver and person who is easily frustrated, I try to make sure my 'sensible' driving doesn't bug anyone else. Luckily, this is not difficult to achieve:

On the uncongested motorway/three-lane freeway in Scotland, most people can and do pass at will. The inner lane is mostly occupied by road freight which are limited to 60 mph (practically 56 mph) in the U.K. anyway. This is potentially good news for the hypermiler as you can get in the dead air behind an articulated truck.

On the normal highway, the 'fourteen apoplectic people stuck behind you speed' is more like 43 mph and that's in fact what it was on the first 50 miles of our outward journey.

On rural roads, average speeds on the twisty roads barely get above 35 mph, so trust me, if you can average 60 mph in Britain these days, you deserve a medal, even though most senior citizens seem to regard this as unforgiveably reckless.

It is fascinating to moderate your driving and see the results, actually. Especially for someone like me who normally likes to push on and gets wound up easily. You start viewing lines of slower traffic as chances to save even more fuel, rather than fourteen people I would like to mow down with a machine gun.

For the record, I detest Priuses and their owners.

Off topic but always a good one for rants!

Doug
DJGonzo
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »

I hate driving because of  this reason...

The speed limit is 50 and some jerk has drive at 35 on a single lane and hold up about 20 cars or have two cars in front of you driving at 45 in both lanes when the speed limit is 55 and you can't get around them cuz they are both blocking your way!!! Thats what gets me the most!

Old people shouldn't be allowed to drive unless they can actually handle driving the speed limit!

/rant
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »

Nope, Nyet, I'm still not biting!  Wink

Curses!

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Rick

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »

random topic direction!
TTQS
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:37 AM »

Hi.

I have repeated the 3rd and 4th gear WOT logging runs this morning with 95 RON standard unleaded fuel and uploaded the revised spreadsheet both to my first post and this one. My suspicions were wrong because the differences are significant and quite dramatic. I haven't fully digested the new data because I've just finished a 12 hour night shift, but the headlines are as follows:

- Individual cylinder corrections to ignition angle are much greater (up to 9.8 degrees crank).
- Peak MAF reading and therefore BHP are down by 11-16%.
- IDCs at the end of the 4th gear WOT run with 95 RON fuel are well below 100% whereas with the 99 RON fuel and higher output, they were >> 100%.

I will stick with 95 RON fuel for now because of the reasons discussed in my earlier posts, but at last I have some objective data to quantify the power loss under WOT conditions between standard and premium fuel. If you like to indulge in traffic light grands prix, then shell out the extra cents and go for the premium fuels!

Doug
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »

91 octane tuning (stateside) is very very very challenging.

It may as well be an entirely different motor when compared to tuning with decent fuel.

TTQS: if you are keeping up, 91oct IS premium here on the west coast of the US. I don't know what the RON equivalent is. I imagine it is actually worse than your 95.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
TTQS
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »

91oct IS premium here on the west coast of the US. I don't know what the RON equivalent is. I imagine it is actually worse than your 95.

Worse than our 95? Jeeeezus. I feel for you guys. Maybe that's part of the reason why large displacement NA engines have always been popular in the US.

Doug
pvl

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »

some info about fuel :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel.

So, yes, aren't we lucky guys us europeans..  Perhaps this 'luck' is measured in the price
we pay for a litre or gallon petrol over here. BIG difference with the states... 

Cheers,

PvL
Giannis

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »

Sorry to ask you mates but how can i measure idc? Because the last few days that i am starting to proper tune my car i get 24ms in lower than 5000rpm. I think that i need to change to bigger injectors.I have an 180ps 1.8t with 4 bar fpr.
pvl

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 12:01:37 AM »

Hi Giannis,

I think the best way, to do this, is to start a NEW thread on this forum.

Let's start-off with your car's specs there, and ecu-number. Then a more in-depth
analysis can be made.

Thanks,

PvL
Giannis

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:56 AM »

Ok thank you for the reply and sorry for the off topic Smiley
TTQS
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »

Sorry to ask you mates but how can i measure idc? Because the last few days that i am starting to proper tune my car i get 24ms in lower than 5000rpm. I think that i need to change to bigger injectors.I have an 180ps 1.8t with 4 bar fpr.

Hi Giannis.

You can't measure IDC directly. It's derived from injector on-time in milliseconds and RPM:

IDC = 100*(Injector on-time/((2*60*1000)/RPM))

If you have a 4 bar FPR, then you will only need to recalibrate your fuel mass to injector on-time conversion factor and this should help with fuelling. If you don't recalibrate it will overfuel under all conditions which will manifest itself as rough idle.

I'm running ca. 270 bhp & ca. 300 lbft on my Stage 2 remap and the stock 3 bar FPR and stock injectors are good for almost all conditions.

Doug
Giannis

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 12:41:48 AM »

thank you very much for the answer. So i have to export logs to an excel file and aply the given formula. As for the fpr i have allready recalibrate my file. I am getting about +-1.8 correction all the time. thanks again.
robin

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »

What settings are you running on the revo tune?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »

thank you very much for the answer. So i have to export logs to an excel file and aply the given formula. As for the fpr i have allready recalibrate my file. I am getting about +-1.8 correction all the time. thanks again.

ECUxPlot will calculate IDC for you.

ECUx Plot

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: