Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looking to start mapping  (Read 5696 times)
nurburg340

« on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »

Hello,

My names Rich, I'm 22 and am a mechanic. Im from East Sussex area. I currently drive an Astra VXR which am looking to get a remap with my supporting mods and have found people to trust with my VXR hard to find and rather expensive.

I have always wanted to learn how to remaps but this is now the time I wish to pursue it.

I have no idea where to start and was hoping I could be pointed in the right direct. Being a mechanic I know how engines work and ECUs. I also understand it can cost thousands of pounds to get going and years of studying.

I am interested in learning how to write them myself and not use generic maps to put on people cars.
Bi-turbo

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »

Same really but Aud S4 B5, ive got to the stage were i have my own bespoke stage 1 map ready for testing but require a AFR Guage/reader 1st, its taken me around a year to get to this point, i use galletto 1260 with ebay cable reprogrmmed to work with galletto and tunerpro and winOLS and i have gen VCDS (VAG diagnostics) for logging with.

There's heaps to read up on here and is a welth of knowledge but it wont be givern out, you have to work to find things out Smiley
nurburg340

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:55:58 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Its all very new to me lol. All I have figured out is a program called Kess V2 is what these chip tuner companies use Smiley.

What programs would you recommend for starting with the basics..
Bi-turbo

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »

Not to clued up on programs but tunerpro is free downlaod and lets you see the maps edit them etc but you need a .bin from your ecu which is the easy bit depending on your ecu then you need a .xdf which is like the layout with all the map files in there.

Kess V2 is the choice for chip tuners, i was looking into starting a business doing chip tuning but your just selling on someone elses *possible* crap generic map.

There is so much choice out there but i got the cheap/free stuf to get me into it as i simply havent got the money to go and buy the all singin all dancing stuff though half the time the cheaper stuff is better, just because one company has really good advertisement dosnt mean that there equipment is the dog's dangle's
nurburg340

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »

Yeah true. I have a lot to learn before getting the programs. Once I get the program I still dont know what I'm doing haha.
Bi-turbo

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:42:10 AM »

Best to get a 2nd hand ecu and play around with things then if you knacker it its no biggy, the best way to learn is by doing
nurburg340

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:47:56 AM »

Yes but a second hand ecu for a vxr costs quite a bit lol.
nurburg340

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »

It may even be cheaper to buy an old doggy diesel and play with that.
Bi-turbo

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »

Better to get a mk4 golf 1.8t get those for pennies and good 'development car' spark ign and turbo use it as a daily
nurburg340

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:53 AM »

True true. I will look into it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: