Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ECUx... reverse engineer?  (Read 32339 times)
s4boost

« on: June 01, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »

So my car is running like poop. I just went frankenturbo stage 3 with vasts stages 3 fuel kit and tune. The code i'm getting is 17964 (negative boost deviation) and the car goes into soft limp mode between 5000 and 6000 rpms at WOT. Vast needs logs. I have vag com, but its an older version. None of the newer versions will run on my laptop. I've tried both windows 7 and XP to get a newer version working. Vast wants logs, and the logs i took with vag com only have about 6-7 time stamps (per block) while logging two blocks in a 3rd gear pull from 2500 rpms to redline.... thats crap IMO. So i need ECUx.

Problem is, why the crap should i pay 250$

1. to get my car running right when it should be basically an "out of the box tune." GIAC can do it, why can't vast? my "custom" tune isnt that involved ie: frankenturbos, 60lb. ev14s, 90mm maf and intake, rs4 replica inlets, straight piped piggies, SS auto chrome cat-back, vast W/M, deatchwerks 300lph fuel pump. So in my opinion, this shouldn't be anything new to vast.

2. why should i pay APR 250$ for a program that is no longer supported. i recieved an email today from them stating plain and clear, "this program is no longer supported" and one rep even said it's no longer sold... which isn't true, but regardless, It's absolutely ridiculous for a company to expect us to continue paying top dollar for a program they no longer support.

So my real question here is, why the heck hasnt anyone cracked this program? Anyone with a tuned s4 practically needs it and the price is outrageous considering support. I know Nef is programming something, but when will it be done and will it be a "better" replacement? I need to get this car running right. If anyone can help me out with this under the table, please let me know. I'm in no way bashing APR or Vast, i like both companies very much, however, i will gladly vocalize to both of them my opinions being that i shouldnt have to pay another company 250$ for some software to log my car, and i shouldnt have to pay 250$ for a program that some APR reps arent even aware exists.

my 02 cents. 

Thanks for any support from you guys.
s4boost

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

any one?
orienz

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »

No, you should pay APR $250 for a good logging program.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »

I think there's a big difference between "good logging program" and "the only logging program" out there.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »

^^ Haha true. There are many people using it, and it is pretty buggy, but once you get everything figured out it does work. They are not developing it anymore, and the fella who was responsible for creating it has left APR, so that's why they don't offer support. It was originally designed to be used in-house anyway. You could also purchase VCDS and tweak the sampling rate along with a faster laptop and you should get better resolution, or log in a higher gear.  Wink

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
phila_dot

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »

ECUx is extremely limited in the variables you can log. It only supports the very basics. VCDS is too slow.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »

One of the single most irritating things about proprietary software is the potential for abandonware.

Pathetic. I wonder how much it would cost to purchase the source code from those asshats. After all, money talks in that culture, does it not?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »

I like where this thread is going. I wonder how often they even sell it now..Is there any other way to get the source code?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Snow Trooper

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »

If you ask them super nice and have basically any good reason to use it other than competing with APR then they will give it to you.

Seriously, just ask.  Take the time to download it, install it, have your code you need to send them ready and e-mail someone with a technical role there, not just some sales person.  Wink

And people can hate on ecux all they want but once you iron it out it works and what better option has anyone created that you can actually get, free or not?

I do agree with Nye that its a giant bummer its been sent to the bone yard and has no support.  Maybe we should all ask for the source code?  I doubt it could hurt anything current that they actually do to make $$$

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
RaraK

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 10:57:02 AM »

ECUx is cracked and freely available on a certain UK forum......if you dont want to buy it
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »

...And cue 1000 pm's Smiley
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »

Yea, right? It would probably be less hassle to just post the forum it's on.. Smiley

RaraK

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:27 AM »

Digital Kaos

ECUx is not terribly difficult to crack either, we just need one person on here with a good version and you must change your volume ID to match what theirs is and install.  Do this in a XP VM and you are golden.

Thats it.

imolasb5

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »

Digital Kaos

ECUx is not terribly difficult to crack either, we just need one person on here with a good version and you must change your volume ID to match what theirs is and install.  Do this in a XP VM and you are golden.

Thats it.

This is true. It is relatively easy once you get a reg file from someone that is willing to hand it over. 
marfcus

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »

Once you get it installed, the problem then becomes trying to get the right properties files. And that's where I'm currently hung up. I've got files 100-164. Anyone have a clue which one is for a 2003 gti 6sp. Undecided
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: