Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Easy self made soic8 clip?  (Read 6386 times)
TijnCU

flying brick

« on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:22 AM »

Hi guys, I found out I may have to alter the immobilizer in my ECU. It is a soic8 chip, but my adapter is in the mail from China and will probably not arrive for another month. Can I fabricate my own temporary clip with some copper wire plugged into my willem? Since the adapter seems like just a connection betweer the soic8 pins and the 8 larger holes on te board.
Anybody got some tips/do's/dont's?
Thanks!

f1torrents

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »

Bootmode the contents of the chip off with argdubs tool.
This will avoid having to remove the chip all together.
_nameless

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »

Bootmode the contents of the chip off with argdubs tool.
This will avoid having to remove the chip all together.
his ecu is early aeb wont work

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:19:07 AM »

Yup, it is for the old style 5 connector AEB ecu from '95. I misinformed myself about the immo, because the US versions don't have an immo on those AEB ecu's. I am using an Euro version though  Grin
I have read on several forums about making the clips, it seems you can make use of an old PCI slot modified as a clamp. For now I will just put wires on the pins however, and connect them straight into my DIP8 slot on the Willem PCB50 board. I will report back if it works or not  Roll Eyes

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »

hmmmm well I just soldered 8 wires to the SOIC8 and plugged them into my willem dip8 24cxx slot.. When it is unplugged I get "hardware present", but when the wires are inserted I cant connect at all... I get message "No ACK device command" when trying to read or write, and in test mode I get "hardware error - check power and connection"

There are no connections between wires at visual inspection, but when measured I see pins 1-2-3-4 interconnected and pin 7 and 5 to 1,2,3,4. Is that normal or is the chip damaged? could be I heated it up too much on my first attempt of desoldering...?

My Willem is a pcb50b and according to the software all dip switches need to be at off. Which they are.
Anyone care to shine a light on here?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:13:54 PM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:48:00 AM »

I have fixed the problem by unsoldering the chip. Connected straight away and no problems writing the new file  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:49:46 AM by TijnCU » Logged

f1torrents

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »

Wow, thats a lot of work to flash that chip.

I bought a cheap 24c08 eeprom writer off ebay and it came with a nice board to solder the chip onto and it then fits into either that writer or my william.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »

Yeah I ordered a dip to soic socket but it is still in china Roll Eyes
Its for my own project so I dont mind the extra work hehe

ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:03:23 AM »

Very resourceful. Good work!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: