Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AWT swap  (Read 16244 times)
masterj

« on: January 25, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »

Hi guys!
Does anyone have data on all released 1.8T engines? I currently have AWT but it is almost dead (oil consumption, very low compression, etc) and rebuild is not an option. What other 1.8T engines have completely same configuration as AWT (VVT, etc)? I mean direct and complete swap "plug and play". If possible answer is needed ASAP.

Thank you for all the answers.

Terror_Flynn

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »

I have an AWT in my 2001 A4 B5.
Passat B5.5 years 01-05 (I think) also have AWT.

This you probably already knew.

Other engine-codes that are identical with AWT, I do not know. AWM perhaps?

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
masterj

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

I have an AWT in my 2001 A4 B5.
Passat B5.5 years 01-05 (I think) also have AWT.

This you probably already knew.

Other engine-codes that are identical with AWT, I do not know. AWM perhaps?

Hi, Terror_Flynn,
yep, I need other codes. Also I think AWM has internal waterpump, no? Maybe other differences that I do not know of...

ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »

Hi, Terror_Flynn,
yep, I need other codes. Also I think AWM has internal waterpump, no? Maybe other differences that I do not know of...

AZR is the best swap you can make.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
masterj

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »

AZR is the best swap you can make.

yeah 2.7t Cheesy but I need 1.8T identical alternatives to AWT

cerips

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:36:25 PM »

Is this link any use?

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?34368-1-8T-20V-Engine-codes-FAQ
masterj

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 02:31:24 AM »

thanks Smiley

What about AMK, BAM from s3? I see only difference is internal wp. Also a little bit lowered compression but i see it as a good thing for bigger turbo. This looks like direct swap no?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:38:05 AM by masterj » Logged

adam-

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 03:48:19 AM »

Are the transverse and longitudinal blocks different?  Not sure if the bellhousings are the same, that's my question.

The BAM has 20mm wrist pins, but blocks aren't any stronger.  The internal waterpump blocks are the later ones, and are better imo.

Your AWT has a what type head?  Small or large port?  That said, any block would do, they're all the same, just transfer over the bits you need.

My AUM is the same as the BAM, only it has a lefthand sided throttle body and 19mm wrist pins, whereas the BAM has 20mm.

There's no issue running around 450 brake on the 19mm pins.

AUM is small port, VVT.

I'm not sure how cheap your prices are (not even sure where you're from), but I've got an AUM missing a piston and rod that you can have for cheaps?  But if you're far away postage will be high, which probably isn't a viable solution.
masterj

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:40 AM »

Awt is small port, dbw, vvt with external wp. I could live without vvt if new engine would be "plug and play" without any hardware mods. Also let's assume that i do not want to transfer anything from old engine because it is in horrible condition. What are my options?

P.s. im from lithuania Wink

P.s.2 no clue if blocks are different when in longitudinal or transverse config.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:41:16 AM by masterj » Logged

adam-

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »

The AUM is small port, DBW, VVT and internal pump. 

I've done a quick search for you, and it appears that the blocks are the same, but the inlet and exhaust are different, obviously.

You can build these on the cheap; I've built a forged 1.8t, running the K04-064 with all the trimmings, homemade manifold, downpipe, intercooler, its pipework, injectors, clutch etc for around £1600.

There's bargains to be had out there! Smiley

I'm guessing you're wanting to just buy an entire engine and throw it in, rather than stripping bits off your current one (inlet, ancillaries, etc)?
masterj

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:31:17 AM »

The AUM is small port, DBW, VVT and internal pump.  

I've done a quick search for you, and it appears that the blocks are the same, but the inlet and exhaust are different, obviously.

You can build these on the cheap; I've built a forged 1.8t, running the K04-064 with all the trimmings, homemade manifold, downpipe, intercooler, its pipework, injectors, clutch etc for around £1600.

There's bargains to be had out there! Smiley

I'm guessing you're wanting to just buy an entire engine and throw it in, rather than stripping bits off your current one (inlet, ancillaries, etc)?

Yes, I just want to throw new engine in Smiley So if I'll buy AUM I'll just need to change intake and exhaust manifolds to ones  from old engine and everything else is the same? I always thought that longitudinal and transverse engines are somewhat more different...

BTW: Just got a really good offer for AGU. Would the same info apply to this engine too?

adam-

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3125000

I've been doing some reading, and it seems that:
058 Old Style- Came in the 058 external waterpump blocks only in longitudinal cars.(A4, Passat) These all have the “short”, small diameter snout. These cranks are all cast, and come with a toothed 60-2 wheel

There are 2 versions
Manual – the difference being the spigot on flywheel end. These have a pilot bearing pressed into the bulbous spigot on the flywheel end.
Automatic- This has a much flatter protrusion on the flywheel end and no provision for a pilot bearing.

06A New Style- These came in all 06A blocks with internal waterpump, both longitudinal and transverse. (Some codes AWD, AWW, AWP, AMB, AMU, AWM) These all have the “long”, large diameter snout. These cranks are cast or forged depending on application, and come with a windowed 60-2 wheel

So, it seems that the new style has a different style of crank wheel, and these cannot be swapped, and the ECU only recognizes one type. 

Based on this, I think you're screwed and you're gonna have to keep with your current block/find a direct swap. 

Silly old style block! Tongue
masterj

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3125000

I've been doing some reading, and it seems that:
058 Old Style- Came in the 058 external waterpump blocks only in longitudinal cars.(A4, Passat) These all have the “short”, small diameter snout. These cranks are all cast, and come with a toothed 60-2 wheel

There are 2 versions
Manual – the difference being the spigot on flywheel end. These have a pilot bearing pressed into the bulbous spigot on the flywheel end.
Automatic- This has a much flatter protrusion on the flywheel end and no provision for a pilot bearing.

06A New Style- These came in all 06A blocks with internal waterpump, both longitudinal and transverse. (Some codes AWD, AWW, AWP, AMB, AMU, AWM) These all have the “long”, large diameter snout. These cranks are cast or forged depending on application, and come with a windowed 60-2 wheel

So, it seems that the new style has a different style of crank wheel, and these cannot be swapped, and the ECU only recognizes one type. 

Based on this, I think you're screwed and you're gonna have to keep with your current block/find a direct swap. 

Silly old style block! Tongue

Hey, thanks for update Smiley have you seen anywhere list with all old type block engines codes?

ddillenger

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »

yeah 2.7t Cheesy but I need 1.8T identical alternatives to AWT

How about BRV?

But seriously, AWM is a direct swap.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »

Other old longitudinal blocks are (offcourse) AEB, AJL, ANB and APU but you will lose the VVT on either one. ANB has SAI and AJL was 132kw from factory.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: