Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Faster K-Line Logging for old KWP1281 ECUs-->McMess  (Read 11915 times)
passuff

« on: July 09, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »

Hello everybody.

I was reading a lot about Measuring Protocols. In doing so, I found something about the McMess in EDC15V (Infineon c167&AM29f400BT) ECU. Normally, this ECU can only be logged over KWP1281, which is as you all know very slow. This Info is written in german, so I searched in EDC15C document about the same info in english. So dont wonder about the header in this http://remixshare.com/download/if5r6 pdf
I have to mention, that I'm not so very familiar with programming and electronics.
But as far as I understand, the mcmess should do the same as kw2000. It reads ram values directly. this should be faster than kwp1281....
What do YOU think about that?
setzi62

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »

From my experience with ME7, the McMESS protocol is not really useful for all-purpose
logging, and I would guess it is the same for EDC15.  The speed you can reach for
logging ram variables in normal mode is not very high and when using the highspeed
mode you can just  read 6 different byte variables.
I have posted my protocol notes for ME7's McMESS here:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,778.msg6493.html#msg6493
passuff

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »

Thx a lot. I just read your attached txt partially. No time so far..
But I will try myself. I can't believe this protocol is so stupid and slow. As far as I know, it was the only one method to calibrate and measure with original ECUs for OEMs. aside from Ram emulated ECUs....
But I gues, like today they dont always use the  emu ECUs..
Did you try to build an MCU to communicate the faster way?
Its also just 1kb/sec, but thats a lot compared to kwp1281 isn't it?
Maybe it's easier to implement commands and communication into Atmega because of timing/responses/hold up communication and use simple commands to talk to MCU..
I will report my progress...
passuff

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »

From my experience with ME7, the McMESS protocol is not really useful for all-purpose
logging, and I would guess it is the same for EDC15.  The speed you can reach for
logging ram variables in normal mode is not very high and when using the highspeed
mode you can just  read 6 different byte variables.
I have posted my protocol notes for ME7's McMESS here:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,778.msg6493.html#msg6493

Which tool do you recommend for communication over serial port/USB? I only know some can tools that are able to setup messages that have to be send every XYms... Don't know the right words to google Cheesy
hexdmy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »

Hello,

I am also looking for an option for usable logging rates with a M5.9 (M3.Cool ecu. Through my searching, there have been some comments that the fast logging rates were achieved with development ecus that were fitted with ETK boards. However, I believe that Bosch/VW must of had a way to connect to a standard ecu and get good logging rates, possibly with McMess protocol ? I'm just wondering if anyone has any additional insights into this, as a good logging solution for these older ecus I believe many people need and want.

passuff

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »

Hello,

I am also looking for an option for usable logging rates with a M5.9 (M3.Cool ecu. Through my searching, there have been some comments that the fast logging rates were achieved with development ecus that were fitted with ETK boards. However, I believe that Bosch/VW must of had a way to connect to a standard ecu and get good logging rates, possibly with McMess protocol ? I'm just wondering if anyone has any additional insights into this, as a good logging solution for these older ecus I believe many people need and want.

Not sure weather it works with your car or not. THere is ediabas tools from BMW development and a guy wrote nice logging tool for it called testo.
If this is new to you, I can tell you sources. If not, I don't know better logging solution for BMW beside OEM tools like INCA and developement ECUs..

Michael
eliotroyano

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »

All this remember me ECU-X from APR . If I am right making memory, I think that basically ECU-X operates as an special datalogging tool that reads engine parameters directly from ecu's microprocessor RAM and packed it through ECU communication protocol at it max speed. That protocol was KWP2000, I think.

The issue here is the KW1281 slow communication rate. Then the main problem is the communication protocol itself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: