Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vehicle physics question regarding tire size and speed  (Read 4919 times)
vjborelli

« on: February 27, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »

So I'm trying to learn some physics, calculus, and fluid dynamics on my own through research material.

I understand that the max speed and acceleration rate of a vehicle can be modified by changing the radius of the tire/wheel. I know that older cars that used a vehicle speed sensor on the transmission would read incorrect vehicle speed if you change to larger or smaller tires.

Now I'm curious.... If the 2003+ B6 uses the ABS wheel speed signal to display current speed on the cluster, would it be accurately accounting for wheel size difference and display the correct speed, or would it still fall short of accounting for the correct dynamic wheel radius.

Here is a small chart I made using a few samples of logged data of my B6 on 205/65R15 tires. The unloaded tire radius @ 35psi is 1.0622 feet. The loaded tire radius in the chart is listed as "Eff. R", but I don't know if that is a wrong number based on the car coming with the 17" with a different dynamic tire radius. Dynamic tire radius is the effective tire radius under load from the weight, and also expansion from high rotation speed.

Velocity Formula:
V = ( π * R * ( RPM / ( G¹ * G² ) ) / 30 * ( 1/5280 feet per mile ) * ( 3600/1 seconds per hour )

Radius Formula:
R = ( V * 30 / ( 1/5280 ) / ( RPM / ( G¹ * G² ) ) / 3600 / π

Where:
R = Dynamic tire radius in feet
V = Velocity in miles per hour
G¹ = Transmission gear ratio for 3rd gear ( 1.429 )
G² = Final drive ratio ( 3.889 )

vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:40:57 PM »

I believe those instrument clusters have variables (coding) that can be changed slightly to accommodate for different diameters. Ideally, the overall diameter should stay the same when changing wheels. Larger rim=smaller tire. Also, different tire manufacturers are slightly different dimensions even being the same size.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 05:13:43 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
vjborelli

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

I believe those instrument clusters have variables (coding) that can be changed slightly to accommodate for different diameters. Ideally though the overall diameter should stay the same when changing wheels. Larger rim=smaller tire. Also different tire manufacturers tires are slightly different dimensions even being the same labeled size (exp. 235/40/17).
Yeah, I started thinking about the instrument cluster soft coding for "Distance Impulse". And I think that is what I'll need to change to accommodate the change in tire circumference.

What I need to do then, is to find out what the different "Distance Impulse" values are for the tires shown in this spreadsheet I made:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: