Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 032HS emissions delete, DTC disable problems  (Read 8029 times)
blairl

« on: May 13, 2015, 06:21:34 AM »

Hello nefmoto,

I drive a 2005 VW Golf (MkIV).  The car was originally equipped with a 2.0L BEV engine, and a 5 speed manual.  I swapped an AWP 1.8T (06A 906 032HS ecu) from a 2002 Jetta into it last August.  The manual transmission I used for the swap turned out to have damage to the transmission case where the VSS mounts; the mounting hole is not round, and is not repairable.  

I modified my instrument cluster to get the vehicle speed over CAN from the ABS module, and re-calibrated the speedometer so that it reads correctly.  The cluster is from a US market Passat W8, but I have flashed it with 1J5 920 946 firmware from a UK-Spec R32.  In modifying the cluster to look for vehicle speed over CAN, the temperature gauge stopped working (it did work correctly before I fixed the speedometer).  I believe that the temperature gauge is also looking for its signal over CAN-Bus.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get both the coolant temperature gauge and the speedometer to work simultaneously, either by making a change in the ECU or the cluster, feel free to let me know!

So, the current situation is that I have a speedometer, no coolant temperature gauge, and a check engine light, because there is a P0501 DTC set in the ECU, because there is no VSS connected. I've gone through Tony's thread about disabling DTCs multiple times ( http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=567.0title= , and I think I understand what to do.  

Following the instructions given in the DTC disable thread, I searched for the locations where the DTC Error Code Class, and the two DTC Manufacturer P-Code tables, and I found this:

DTC Error Code Class Table (8 bit table):10794
DTC Manufacturer P-codes (16 bits values):1332C
DTC Manufacturer P-codes (16 bits values):137B

in Reply #4 in this thread: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1004.0 .  

I've followed the instructions in Tony's thread, and located the value of the P0501 DTC at 0x10D90.  I've set this value to 00, but I still get a P0501 code, so I must have made a mistake somewhere.  As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that those addresses are for an 032KP, which may not have the same addresses as my 032HS, which would throw everything off.  Getting rid of the MIL for this code is my primary concern-- I figured disabling the code would be the best way of doing this.  If there is a better way, like somehow telling the ECU to look for the VSS over CAN from the ABS sensors, please point me in the right direction!

I've also had a P0420 code, which I seem to have gotten rid of through changing SRYHS and SRYKAT to 00 as per this thread: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0 .  I tried forcing readiness through the VCDS procedure, and it seems to have worked-- I have no P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold code, and the only readiness flag not set is for EVAP (MA state inspection allows one readiness monitor to not be set, so I'll figure EVAP out later).  

There was some talk in the Emissions delete and setting actual readiness thread, about VCDS showing readiness as being set, when it isn't actually set.  Nothing showed up in VCDS as unsupported.  If I try to get an inspection, and have anything show up as unsupported, I will be in trouble, so I'd love it if someone who knows what they're doing could look this over, and make sure I haven't screwed anything up.  

I'll attach the (actual) original ECU memory BIN file, and the bin file I'm currently running.  I hope it's clear I've searched for information extensively before posting this.  Huge thanks to the community in advance.  I'll be doing a write-up on this for all fellow AWP 1.8T tuners once I get this figured out.  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:03:10 AM by blairl » Logged

LAMFAWKR, did anyone else find this variable funny?
tjwasiak

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:49:29 AM »

(...) I modified my instrument cluster to get the vehicle speed over CAN from the ABS module, and re-calibrated the speedometer so that it reads correctly.  The cluster is from a US market Passat W8, but I have flashed it with 1J5 920 946 firmware from a UK-Spec R32.  In modifying the cluster to look for vehicle speed over CAN, the temperature gauge stopped working (it did work correctly before I fixed the speedometer).  I believe that the temperature gauge is also looking for its signal over CAN-Bus.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get both the coolant temperature gauge and the speedometer to work simultaneously, either by making a change in the ECU or the cluster, feel free to let me know!
You need to do hardware modifications to your W8 cluster as W8 needs coolant temperature from CAN which you do not have. This is the only cluster which is not 100% compatible with other cars. Modifications include soldering some resistors and replacing one resistor with capacitor AFAIR. You should find proper information on the net.

So, the current situation is that I have a speedometer, no coolant temperature gauge, and a check engine light, because there is a P0501 DTC set in the ECU, because there is no VSS connected.
You can try to recode your CAN gateway (using same coding as it has now - probably 00006) - this should fix your DTC issue as it is instrument cluster which sends speed signal to ECU via CAN (it is irrevelant if it is pulse from VSS sender in gearbox or CAN signal from ABS controller).
lari5

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »

Hello nefmoto,

I drive a 2005 VW Golf (MkIV).  The car was originally equipped with a 2.0L BEV engine, and a 5 speed manual.  I swapped an AWP 1.8T (06A 906 032HS ecu) from a 2002 Jetta into it last August.  The manual transmission I used for the swap turned out to have damage to the transmission case where the VSS mounts; the mounting hole is not round, and is not repairable.  

I modified my instrument cluster to get the vehicle speed over CAN from the ABS module, and re-calibrated the speedometer so that it reads correctly.  The cluster is from a US market Passat W8, but I have flashed it with 1J5 920 946 firmware from a UK-Spec R32.  In modifying the cluster to look for vehicle speed over CAN, the temperature gauge stopped working (it did work correctly before I fixed the speedometer).  I believe that the temperature gauge is also looking for its signal over CAN-Bus.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get both the coolant temperature gauge and the speedometer to work simultaneously, either by making a change in the ECU or the cluster, feel free to let me know!

So, the current situation is that I have a speedometer, no coolant temperature gauge, and a check engine light, because there is a P0501 DTC set in the ECU, because there is no VSS connected. I've gone through Tony's thread about disabling DTCs multiple times ( http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=567.0title= , and I think I understand what to do.  

Following the instructions given in the DTC disable thread, I searched for the locations where the DTC Error Code Class, and the two DTC Manufacturer P-Code tables, and I found this:

DTC Error Code Class Table (8 bit table):10794
DTC Manufacturer P-codes (16 bits values):1332C
DTC Manufacturer P-codes (16 bits values):137B

in Reply #4 in this thread: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1004.0 .  

I've followed the instructions in Tony's thread, and located the value of the P0501 DTC at 0x10D90.  I've set this value to 00, but I still get a P0501 code, so I must have made a mistake somewhere.  As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that those addresses are for an 032KP, which may not have the same addresses as my 032HS, which would throw everything off.  Getting rid of the MIL for this code is my primary concern-- I figured disabling the code would be the best way of doing this.  If there is a better way, like somehow telling the ECU to look for the VSS over CAN from the ABS sensors, please point me in the right direction!

I've also had a P0420 code, which I seem to have gotten rid of through changing SRYHS and SRYKAT to 00 as per this thread: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0 .  I tried forcing readiness through the VCDS procedure, and it seems to have worked-- I have no P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold code, and the only readiness flag not set is for EVAP (MA state inspection allows one readiness monitor to not be set, so I'll figure EVAP out later).  

There was some talk in the Emissions delete and setting actual readiness thread, about VCDS showing readiness as being set, when it isn't actually set.  Nothing showed up in VCDS as unsupported.  If I try to get an inspection, and have anything show up as unsupported, I will be in trouble, so I'd love it if someone who knows what they're doing could look this over, and make sure I haven't screwed anything up.  

I'll attach the (actual) original ECU memory BIN file, and the bin file I'm currently running.  I hope it's clear I've searched for information extensively before posting this.  Huge thanks to the community in advance.  I'll be doing a write-up on this for all fellow AWP 1.8T tuners once I get this figured out.  

blairl were you able to code out the P0501? I am having the same issue - I changed so many sensors and traced every wire.
I believe it a loose ground somewhere...
_nameless

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »

dtc off. tho theres a configuration bit to flip to keep all working as it should . check sum the file i was too lazy

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »

It would really be better to find the map that is causing the dtc.. the error still exists in the system, it just isn't being reported to VCDS (or setting a the MIL)

If you are convinced the speed sensor is fine, you need to loosen the error detection parameters, not mask the DTC.

One more time MASKING THE DTC IS ALMOST NEVER THE RIGHT ANSWER.

if the hardware is bad, you need to fix the hardware.

if the hardware is NOT bad, you need to loosen the parameters (usually in a map somewhere) that are causing the ECU to detect the error, not mask the error.

Consult the FR to find the appropriate map(s) that need to be modified.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
_nameless

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »

fwiw all of this can be fixed by just swapping eeprom 0x65 from a 8 bit value of 80 to 81 in the cluster eeprom. forces read from canbus

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
vwmaniac

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »

You need to do hardware modifications to your W8 cluster as W8 needs coolant temperature from CAN which you do not have. This is the only cluster which is not 100% compatible with other cars. Modifications include soldering some resistors and replacing one resistor with capacitor AFAIR. You should find proper information on the net.

You can try to recode your CAN gateway (using same coding as it has now - probably 00006) - this should fix your DTC issue as it is instrument cluster which sends speed signal to ECU via CAN (it is irrevelant if it is pulse from VSS sender in gearbox or CAN signal from ABS controller).
I was able to get coolant temp to work on my w8 cluster but my fuel level was can which I change in the programming and ambient temperature was can changed that over too. And tach programming needed to be changed also. I went thru the code line by line until I found these areas and used a 24v bdf cluster software to compare as the offsets were the same as the w8
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:40:56 PM by vwmaniac » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: