Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cluster Swap Problem  (Read 4538 times)
stranger_in_distress

« on: June 05, 2015, 05:26:19 AM »

Hello,

I bought a used S3 cluster from ebay to replace my dying original cluster(needles showing wrong values, dead lines on FIS and corupted trip distance characters). My car is 2002 A3 8L 1.8T AUM, and the original cluster is a Jaeger part number 8l0 920 933N. The S3 cluster is a VDO unit part number 8l0 920 932B.
I have a VAG_K-CAN Commander 3.6 and a chinese VCDS cable. I managed to read both IC login(SKC) codes and followed the steps from the ross-tech site for immo3 IC swap, but obviously it didn't work. Then I started noticing some things with the new S3 cluster:
-when I put the ignition ON, the immo light from the cluster doesn't light up. On the VCDS  instruments output test the light doesn't come on either.
-the S3 cluster part number shown on VCDS was 8L0 920 930(not 932B) and the VIN number was replaced by "yyyyyyyy..." (as seen in the attached dump, dump read using VAG-Commandder). Obviously someone messed with the S3 cluster.

I tried writing a dump for the 8L09320932B(from that archive with dumps from this forum), the write was apparently successful(km changed) but when trying to adapt the new cluster on chanell 50 it fails with "Malfunction". Also the immo light still didn't light up.

Any chance of making the new cluster work with my tools? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I attached the S3 dump
tjwasiak

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 05:39:02 AM »

I would check if immobilizer LED is not removed from PCB or not covered with black tape/foil.
It seems someone sold you '00 S3 cluster as newer one and I am afraid it is not going to work with your car.

Please try attached dump (it should be semi-virginized - no coded keys, immobilizer status not paired).
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 06:00:28 AM »

Thanks will give it a try.
Any way I can tell if it's an early S3 cluster?  I can open it up, no problem. Both stickers on the cluster end in 932B and it has the S3 logo on the tacho. AFAIK the early ones had the S logo on the speedo.
tjwasiak

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 06:19:19 AM »

I am not sure about the details - maybe it just had older PCB swapped. The only thing I know it is really hard to swap clusters in A3/S3 as even sometimes within same model year clusters made for other engines does not work in other cars...
Golf/Octavia/Passat/SuperB - no problems, you can even swap A6 C5 cluster into A4 B5.5 most of the time, but A3/S3 gives terrible headache most of the time Sad
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »

It's alive!

The 932B dump worked in the end. I had to swap my original AUM engine ECU, as I was currently running an AUQ ECU. After the pairing of the new cluster I swapped back the AUQ ECU and successfully paired all the keys. So far everything appears to work ok, except the dead lines on the FIS(I knew this before buying) and the Immo light is still not lighting up. I checked if the Led it's still in place or if it was covered with tape, but everything looked ok. I will replace the FIS display in the next couple of weeks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: