Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: AVK V6 3.0 2003 8E0 909 559E ECU tuning thread  (Read 57478 times)
mister t

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »

Quite. The new maps are hard to miss... but they are usually scrambled.

Gotcha, and I can't see there  being any maps hidden outside the normal addresses as I've verified the file against a stock 3.0 .bin.

Past 02B2xx the files are identical other than one byte at 037E7A
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:37:20 PM by mister t » Logged
hopsis

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 08:03:52 PM »

Over the years I've driven a lot of C5 V6 Audis. If this is the same 3.0 V6 engine that is used in those, it should have some headroom left for improvement. The 2.4 V6 is a nice perky little thing, actually pulls rather well. Better than a stock 1.8T anyway. The 2.8 V6 is better but oddly the 3.0 V6 seems more sluggish and in real life actually a little slower than the 2.8

I hear the 3.0 block with older 2.8 12V (AAH) heads will provide good results, mind You that would include so much work, custom parts, and time that you'd be better of buying a V8 and call it a day Smiley
mister t

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »

at that time you'd be better of buying a V8 and call it a day Smiley

Just need a replacement 4.2L engine and a rear passenger door for the $500 B6 S4 I picked up and I'm all good to go Wink
ddillenger

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »

Just need a replacement 4.2L engine and a rear passenger door for the $500 B6 S4 I picked up and I'm all good to go Wink

If you're in the states I have an engine.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mister t

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 01:49:55 AM »

Reeeaallyy.... How's the timing gear and cam adjusters on it?

I was supposed to have a parts car, the same color (so no painting the one door) with a running engine for $1600 CAD.

However, the guy seems to be flaking out, hasn't returned any messages all week.

So PM me a price and maybe I'll go for it.

It looks like on mine, the timing gear skipped. So in reality, I may just need the heads which would be a lot cheaper to ship.

**also, you said that you're familiar with the 3.0 ECU maps, any feedback on what I've done so far? I think that all my map areas are good, but some of the axes may be a bit off. Any chance you care to have a look at what I've done so far and offer any feedback?
ddillenger

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »

Mine has bad guides, but didn't misfire (just a bit of rattle) and has good compression. It had 93k on it when yanked for a 2.7t. I can pull the covers and check it out in the semi near future-lol

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
mister t

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »

Just to clarify, when you say guides, you mean the timing chain guides, not the valve guides right?

No big deal if the timing gear is worn. Unless it had all been recently replaced, I'll likely be replacing most of it anyway since I have the motor out.

However, if the cam adjusters were good that would save me quite a bit.

What side of the US are you on? I'm in Alberta, so West coast for me.

I'll probably end up trying to source one locally or maybe get the heads rebuilt on mine, just because the shipping costs on something like an engine are killer when you start bringing it across the border.

That said, think about the price and shoot me a PM.

If I do have to go outside my area, I'll certainly keep you in mind as I'm sure you're as a trustworthy seller.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:46:07 PM by mister t » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »

Just timing chain guides. No smoking, presumably the valve guides are fine. I am east coast US Smiley

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Jim_Coupe

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »

Mister T are you gonna swapp in an 4.2 instead of you 3.0 and use same ECU ? In that case i need more popcorn here Smiley

E85oholic
mister t

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:12 AM »

Mister T are you gonna swapp in an 4.2 instead of you 3.0 and use same ECU ? In that case i need more popcorn here Smiley

Nope, gonna keep the 4.2 engine in the S4 that I bought Wink

Having said that, I figured I'd start developing definition files for both the 3.0 and 4.2 so I can tune them both.

mister t

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

Latest file (ignore the version if it's less than the previous file, It's the latest file).

PS, if anyone has any feedback, I'd love to hear it (wink wink, cough cough lol).
mister t

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 03:11:12 AM »

So quick update. After messing around for lord knows how long, I actually decided to go ahead and tune the KFPED maps.

I added some mid range to it. Although I know it doesn't make the car 'faster', I can say that from a subjective standpoint it's a marked improvement. The car feels way more responsive in cut and thrust type traffic.

I'm probably going to play with the timing next and try to find out where I can add timing without tripping the knock sensors and getting timing pull. I feel that adding timing across the board will ultimately be counterproductive as I'll encounter timing pull getting into load and I won't get it back.

If I can add it in areas that can take the extra timing and work around the peak load areas at lower RPM's, I can probably sustain the extra timing in the higher RPM regions.
mister t

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »

Well, I finally bit the bullet and altered the cam timing maps as well. while I haven't had a lot of time to verify the MAF readings empirically, I can say that the car definitely feels noticeably torquier. My focus was on expanding the region where the intake cam stays advanced between 3000-5000 RPM. Then, I made a sharper drop off to full retard.

so areas that were modified so far are:

1) KFPED
2) Lamda
3) cam timing

So without further ado, I'm gonna put this one out there for anyone brave enough to try it lol.

Obviously, I haven't done extensive testing on it, however I've spent the evening driving the car like I stole it and knock on wood, it hasn't blown up. so try it at your own risk.

That said, I'd really appreciate having some other testers out there to give some unbiased 3rd party feedback. I'll be releasing revisions as I go along.

So let me know what 'yall think...

hopsis

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:22 PM »

My crystal ball tells me that file will get deleted in the very near future. There was a "tuned files" section back in the day but it was removed from the forums as the consensus is that you should document the changes you made and then log them so anybody who wants to, can make the same modifications themselves and possibly learn something while doing it.

Post logs of Your tests instead.
mister t

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 02:03:03 AM »

Yeahhhh, I was wondering about that. Why on earth would a forum, devoted to Bosch programming and tuning not allow someone to post their own work?

If it's a question of learning, why not pass a file around and let people collectively refine it. By that logic, no one should be posting DAMOS files either....

If it's a question of liability, I think that's just plain hysteria.

I'm getting on my soapbox a bit here, but this whole notion of "oooohh, if I post a tune and someone blows an engine up I could be on the hook has no real basis in reality, black letter law or just plain practically.

1) if there is in fact a duty of care when it comes to providing a file, any Court would look at what a reasonable person would think. My submission is this: First, this is a forum for a very specialized area. Simply by being a member, there is already a presumption that you possess (or are aware of the need) of some level of expertise in order to properly tune a vehicle.

2) If you do post a file, simply add a disclaimer that the file should be considered a Beta project and that it is the responsibility of the end user to verify that the file will work on his/her vehicle. So long as you don't make any representations that your file is perfectly safe and ready to go, no Court would put you on the hook for damages as a result of blindly using an untested file.

I was going to post a detailed list of all my hardware and environmental factors in a README file along with the tune, as well as a list of what I changed. Once you've given those details and provided a visble warning of the hazards associated with using the tune, you've discharged your duty of care as far as I'm concerned.

3) Even if someone decided to try and sue someone, so what? I don't know if anyone here ever looked into what it takes to enforce a judgement across jurisdictions, but it's damn near impossible. Also, litigation isn't free. If someone is dumb enough to try and lawyer up, the only person who's going to be broke at the end of it all is the poor sap  who's paying $100+/hr to the lawyer who's laughing all the way to the bank.

Anyway, maybe it's not an issue at all, but if it is, I invite the powers that be to consider what I've said.

Personally, I feel that not allowing people to post files up for peer review totally short changes this forum. If I created a file from scratch, not even a DAMOS, how am I not entitled to post it???
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:36:07 AM by mister t » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: