Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Softcoding / Distance Impulse Number  (Read 38944 times)
canigetawitness

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »

How about a lo-tech solution? I noticed the same "error" in my car. It isn't so much to do with how many mph or kph the the actual speed varies from the speed displayed. If You look at the speedometer, i bet You 9 times out of 10 the same difference is the distance the speedometer needle should be further. Sorry for the awdward way to explain this, english isn't my native language.

Anyway, if You look at Your speedo when doing 50 verified with GPS and look how far off the needle is from the actual speed, then raise the speed to 80 and look if the needle is still as far off You get what I'm talking about. Way I fixed it, was to take the front cover and speedo needle off, then take the car to 100kph (GPS) an plug the needle so that it points to the correct speed. Takes 10 minutes and now I have the speedo working right where it matters the most, I don't much care if there is now some error at 200kph.
Hey Hopsis,
So if you're saying take the needle off the clouster and reset it to make up for the difference., I did consider this. If it were 3mp across the board, I think I would attempt that, but since it seems to vary on some kind of curve, I'm reluctant to, because if I corrrected it for 40mph then it would be under reading at 20 mph etc etc etc.
So I decided to just live with it.
Good suggestion though, bit of lateral thinking Smiley
hytron

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »

canigetawitness,

Thank you for this great writeup!! There is quite a bit of useful information in there! I have used VCDS and tried changing the last value of the cluster coding, and has no effect. The original coding was: 0023203 and I changed it to 0023207 per service bulettin and no luck. I have not noticed any difference in speed indication on the speedo.
I have tried using the E2PROM programmer but doesn't seem to be talking to the usb-hex adapter. Is there any other software that needs to be installed? Are you using VAG e2prom programmer 1.19?

I know there is a way to read the content of the serial eeprom using hardware programmer such as Elnec beeprog ( I have another dash from 2006 Jetta that I am using for testing and have read the eeprom), but I am pretty sure it is easier to connect obd2 connector than pulling a cluster and opening it up. That is always a last resort option in case the change messes up the cluster and you can no longer access it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:40:17 PM by hytron » Logged
hytron

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »

Hopsis,

The error is in % not in fixed amount. So for example when you go 20mph, your speedometer might show 21-22mph...going 60mpg (GPS), your speedometer might show 65-66, so it is the percentage error. Pulling the needle and setting it at lets say 60mph will give you acurate speed at 60mph, but when you drive 20, your speedometer will read only about 15mph. That can set you up for a good ticket if you are not thinking about it.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:42:52 PM by hytron » Logged
canigetawitness

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 01:49:48 PM »

canigetawitness,

Thank you for this great writeup!! There is quite a bit of useful information in there! I have used VCDS and tried changing the last value of the cluster coding, and has no effect. The original coding was: 0023203 and I changed it to 0023207 per service bulettin and no luck. I have not noticed any difference in speed indication on the speedo.

What car do you have Hytron?
If it's a Golf/Bora Mk IV then AFAIK the cluster softcoding is always 5 digits long so I'm going to guess those first 2 0's are unintentional?
If so then would I also be right in assuming you have built-in Satnav equipment cos otherwise those first 2 digits seem on the high side. If needs be, I'll hunt down the thread that shows all the different pemutations for those first 2 digits.

When you say you tried changing the last value and it had no effect, do you mean it just didn't change and reverted back to the original number? Did you try any other values? Did a list of options appear in a tooltip when you clicked in the softcoding field? If so, was 7 one of those options?

I have tried using the E2PROM programmer but doesn't seem to be talking to the usb-hex adapter. Is there any other software that needs to be installed? Are you using VAG e2prom programmer 1.19?
It's version 1.19g. Are you sure your COM port is set right? i.e. does the COM port VAG EEPROM programmer is using(look under "options" to see which is ticked) correspond to the one the cable's using(look in control panel > device manager > COM ports and see what's in the brackets alongside the only entry down there)?
I'm afraid I'm no cable expert so I'm not going to be able to advise there. All I know is I use it on a OBD 2 cable and it doesnt work on the CAN cable I bought.

I'm afraid I've not looked into the bench options like Elnec beeprog. I didn't want to go that route so stuck with the cables. If I could advise on it I would, I'm just not knowledgable about them sadly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:58:07 PM by canigetawitness » Logged
hytron

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »

The car is 2006 Jetta TDI. It is a mkV version. It does have SAT radio but NO navigation.

The coding should be 5 digit long, but the leading zeros were present from VCDS software, so I just did cut&paste. Only the last 5 digits matter from what I can see (VCDS info).

Elnec programmer (http://www.elnec.com) is an universal EEPROM programmer and from what I heard they are very good. I have their BeeProg+ programmer and it supports over 88000 devices/chips. What I did was used the ISP (In circuit programming) option and connected the wires to the 8-pin clip that hovered and clipped on the top of the eeprom chip so that I don't have to desolder it. I was able to read the content of the serial eeprom using that method. The eeprom used in these models is nothing else than serial 24C32 eeprom manufactured by ST. Datasheets can be downloaded here:  http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/atmel/doc0336.pdf

The cluster took the new value "7" but I don't notice any difference as far as the speedometer goes. It is still off.

Yes the version of VAG programmer is 1.19g and the only options are COM1, COM2 or USB. I have chosen USB since my RossTech USB-HEX cable is connected via USB. But no luck.

I can see the USB-HEX adapter under the device manager and it is under the USB section.

canigetawitness

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »

The car is 2006 Jetta TDI. It is a mkV version. It does have SAT radio but NO navigation.
Ah see I have a MkIV so it looks like these codes are different. Damn if I'd known that I wouldn't have wrtten all of that about MkIVs and softcoding. D'oh, guess I should've asked that first!
Well I'm afraid I've no idea about Mk Vs and VCDS. Never had a Mk V nor seen one in use with VCDS. Maybe someone else here can help though.

The EEP{ROM bench stuff sounds impressive but I don't have experience of that tiehr I'm afraid.

The cluster took the new value "7" but I don't notice any difference as far as the speedometer goes. It is still off.
And when you enter the new softcoding does a tooltip(looks like a speech bubble) appear explaining how the softcoding works, with a list of available values for that last digit? Cos it should do.
Is 7 one of those?

Yes the version of VAG programmer is 1.19g and the only options are COM1, COM2 or USB. I have chosen USB since my RossTech USB-HEX cable is connected via USB. But no luck.
Maybe that's where you're going wrong then cos I have to have it set to COM1 or COM2, whichever matches what the cable has as a COM port(control panel > device manager > COM ports).
So try that.

I can see the USB-HEX adapter under the device manager and it is under the USB section.
Hmmm OK so maybe this just works differently to my cable. I'm afraid my cable is the only one I've had so I'm stumped. Maybe someone else can shed some light.
Were you given any instructions on installing drivers for the cable when you first got it, or was it just pulg n play?

My experience is kind of confined to what I've done with my car in the last couple of months, so there's a lot I don't know about all this.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »

Maybe that's where you're going wrong then cos I have to have it set to COM1 or COM2, whichever matches what the cable has as a COM port(control panel > device manager > COM ports).

You need the VCP drivers if you want the ross-tech cable to show up as a com port.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
hytron

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »

From your writing, MkIV coding seems to be very similar to MkV. Most of the information you wrote is the same!

I removed VCDS, all Ross-Tech inf files which point to their drivers. When I plug the HEX-USB adapter, it says "Found Ross-Tech HEX-USB hardware" and when I point to the drivers that I extracted from VCP but it says that it cannot find a maching driver. Hmmm What now? I cant seem to make this driver working with the HEX-USB.

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »

I removed VCDS, all Ross-Tech inf files which point to their drivers. When I plug the HEX-USB adapter, it says "Found Ross-Tech HEX-USB hardware" and when I point to the drivers that I extracted from VCP but it says that it cannot find a maching driver.

You'll likely have to uninstall all the existing RossTech drivers first. Just removing inf files is not sufficient. If you aren't proficient with windows driver stuff, you're kind of on your own. You know, Windows being so user friendly and all Smiley

Also, which VCP drivers are you using? You MUST use the ones supplied by RossTech, not the FTDI VCP drivers... they won't work.

Also, please bug RossTech to update their VCP drivers. They are very old.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:05:01 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
canigetawitness

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »

From your writing, MkIV coding seems to be very similar to MkV. Most of the information you wrote is the same!

I removed VCDS, all Ross-Tech inf files which point to their drivers. When I plug the HEX-USB adapter, it says "Found Ross-Tech HEX-USB hardware" and when I point to the drivers that I extracted from VCP but it says that it cannot find a maching driver. Hmmm What now? I cant seem to make this driver working with the HEX-USB.

So it didnt come with a disc with drivers on, or a link to somewhere with drivers?
May be worth entering the name of the cable and "drivers" into google.

Oh Im glad the infor is still relevant then.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »

So it didnt come with a disc with drivers on, or a link to somewhere with drivers?
May be worth entering the name of the cable and "drivers" into google.

Oh Im glad the infor is still relevant then.

RossTech has their own VCP drivers. The FTDI ones will not work.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/virtual-com-port.html

ECUx Plot

hytron

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »

Ok I see this was my problem I think. I was using the FTDI VCP drivers and added manually into the inf file the VID and PID information.

Well if you delete a device and delete inf file from c:\windows\inf, windows cannot find a driver that maches the description so it asks you to provide drivers or basically windows is looking for an inf file to load drivers. INF contains all the information on the drivers and which files to copy (SYS, DLL etc...)

Just remember, removing a device and the entire VCDS will not remove the inf file and as soon as you plug it in it will try to load that driver again. I had to do:
c:\windows\inf   
findstr /C:"FA24" *.inf or findstr /C:"RT-USB.SYS" *.inf

There was a file called "oem22.inf" which contained the string searched and had to be deleted.
Just posting this for someone else who might experience the same problem
hytron

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 10:42:12 PM »

Here is the update.

So I installed the correct drivers and VCP; the USB-HEX adapter shows on COM2 (I set it to be at that port as it was available), but vag eeprom programmer 1.19g will not read anything from my vehicle. No dash no engine cpu. Nefmoto software also will not work but that is for a different forum. So what does that mean? Do these programs not support MkV vehicles?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »

So what does that mean? Do these programs not support MkV vehicles?

Seems likely at this point, unfortunately. I don't have a MkV to try them out on.

ECUx Plot

canigetawitness

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 04:49:28 AM »

Here is the update.

So I installed the correct drivers and VCP; the USB-HEX adapter shows on COM2 (I set it to be at that port as it was available), but vag eeprom programmer 1.19g will not read anything from my vehicle. No dash no engine cpu. Nefmoto software also will not work but that is for a different forum. So what does that mean? Do these programs not support MkV vehicles?
Oh no that's aggravating after all of that. So did you check that the COM port in device manager matches the COM port that VAG EEPROM Programmer is using?(under options).
I suppose you know that the ignition has to be turned onto position 2(so as far as you can without actually starting the car). What else ... whenever I used VAG EEPROM Programmer or VCDS I always temporarily deactivated my anti-virus software(making sure I wasn't connected to the internet obviously!), and made sure I always ran the software by right clicking on the .exe and choosing "run as administrator". Failure to do these caused problems for me.
So maybe try those too Hytron.
It's also worth mentioning that with my set up, it could often take a few attempts to get a read or do a write. I think that's the cable as I've heard a lot of reports like that. I don't understand it.
So maybe be persistent. Sometimes if it carried on like that, I'd switch off the ignition and unplug the USB, then switch back on and re-connect. But make sure the software's closed down first or it hangs.

That's about all I can think of. I'd not heard that it only worked on MkIVs but it's entirely possible I guess.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:53:51 AM by canigetawitness » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: