Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Softcoding / Distance Impulse Number  (Read 38436 times)
hytron

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »

I set the VCP to use COM2, as COM1 is being used by my serial card in the laptop. BUt still no luck. I think this software was not meant for this vehicle, maybe for an older like MkIV. I am using XP, and running as administrator.

canigetawitness

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »

I set the VCP to use COM2, as COM1 is being used by my serial card in the laptop. BUt still no luck. I think this software was not meant for this vehicle, maybe for an older like MkIV. I am using XP, and running as administrator.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about that Hytron. I hope there's some equivalent software that works with a Mk V. Only other ones I've heard of are VAG K Commander and VAG Dashcom.
hytron

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »

Yeah my only option that I know that works is to clip the eeprom. But that would be very time consuming if you are changing a parameter that you don't know...try it out...and then change again...try it out...etc... Maybe I can "assemble" a mini vehicle in my lab and see how that goes.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »

Yeah my only option that I know that works is to clip the eeprom. But that would be very time consuming if you are changing a parameter that you don't know...try it out...and then change again...try it out...etc... Maybe I can "assemble" a mini vehicle in my lab and see how that goes.

You could try some sort of socket ...

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
canigetawitness

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »

Seems nuts to me. I can't believe no-one has written software that can do this on later models. I mean it's inevitable. Someone must know what it's called?
seishuku

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »

My 2013 Jetta TDI is the same way, drives me nuts.

My solution? A custom CANbus LED display that pulls speed from the convenience bus, along with RPM (just for kicks), fuel level (because I don't care for the crappy bar graph gauge), and water temp (because they don't have one!)

I find it weird that they couldn't get the "analog" gauge to read correctly, but yet the information is correct on the CANbus that feeds it.

I'm reluctant to mess with my eeprom, as immo work on these cars is next to impossible for me, and I've heard that even just reading the damn thing will brick it. Roll Eyes
canigetawitness

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 06:49:34 AM »

Maybe that happens with certain cables/software but didn't happen to me and I did a *lot* or reads and writes. Having read similar horror stories I was expecting the worst and was surprised this never happened. No DEF no brick, despite my unorthodox equipment(!) and intermittent hangs in cables/software. I was taking backups of backups before doing any changes! So either those DEFs/bricks happen with other setups or the rumours are exaggerated. OR of course, people could just be entering garbage into their clusters, which is on them cos that's to be expected when manually editing code like that.
I agree - I'd prefer an accurate speedo, but it's just the current rule(certainly in Europe anyway) that they have to read a little high. Looking how many people round here insist on doing a minimum of 40mph in a 30 zone(unless I'm late of course, then it's 15), I can see the logic in it, but then again when it's like that, what difference is 1-2 mph gonna make anyway? They should have the stones to properly enforce the rules or not at all. That gadget sounds pretty handy. Never heard of one of those.

seishuku

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »

It's completely custom, uses a teensy 3.1 microcontroller and some 8 digit SPI LED displays.

Microcontroller stuff like that is my hobby.
canigetawitness

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

Very neat.
And the "passenger airbag off" must be the modern day equivalent of James Bond's ejector seat in his DB5?!  Grin
hytron

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »

first I am VERY surprised they did not a temperature gauge on the new TDIs! That is so dumb from them! It is useful to know the temp of your engine, especially during the winter months where you don't want to rev it up higher when the engine can be still cold. I have read somewhere that you should not rev the TDIs more than 2500rpm unless the coolant temp is at least 120F (49C). I didn't think they would chip out on stuff like that!

As far as the speed, If I recall correctly when you use VCDS and I think group 1 in the ABS controller, the speed of the vehicle is correct as read by the ABS sensors, but I think they purposely tuned the gauge (EEPROM mappings) so that it reads little faster. I still DO NOT FIND THIS ACCEPTABLE.

So you tapped at the CAN L and CAN H wires?

Do you know if the program can be made using Atmel 324 microcontroller? I am not that great at writing software, more of a hardware person. I see that controller has a built in CAN bus from the specs:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy31.html

If not, can you share more info about it?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:29:27 PM by hytron » Logged
seishuku

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »

That was the main reasoning behind the Teensy, built-in CAN controller, all you need to add is a CANbus transceiver ($3 Waveshare board from eBay).

I'm not real familiar with AVR chips, just STM32F4 and K20.

I tapped at the radio, but the BCM is also the CAN gateway on this car, so you can get all 3 busses there (drivetrain, convenience, and infotainment).

I've been keeping a "log" of CAN message here:
http://www.canhack.de/viewtopic.php?t=2128

Edit:
I also have some code here:
https://github.com/seishuku/teensybare_canbus

It's not up to date, I've made some changes recently, but it should give you an idea on how I'm doing it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:21:17 PM by seishuku » Logged
hytron

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »

Thank you for this great posting!

I was just looking one of the suppliers and appears that ATmel makes a microcontroller with CAN controller built in as well.
Check out this site, I have purchased from them before and they seem to be ok:
http://www.futurlec.com/Atmel/AT90CAN128-16AU.shtml

From the wiring diagram I see that the instrument cluster on mkV only means of communication are using the CAN (brown and yellow wires).

I will check for the CAN transceiver, it might be just the programming part that would be a bit difficult. If I can see some sample code that would help alot.

For some reason the second link does not work...

Edit: Ok it appears the github is back up. Probably was down for maintenance last night.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:06:43 AM by hytron » Logged
hytron

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »

seishuku,

I was wondering if you could have used a graphical display instead of just the 8-digit numerical display. You could glue it permanently and even display the words: "RPM, Coolant Temp, etc...." on it looks neat. Just an idea.

I purchased the teensy 3.1, as it appears to be a pretty powerful controller, so I will see what I can do...but I have quite bit of programming to learn! lol

seishuku

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:27 AM »

Oh, definitely... The LED displays were just something I already had... I also wanted high visibility.

You could just as easily use an SPI/I2C LCD or OLED display, I even have a text library in one of my other github repos if you're interested.
hytron

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

Along with the teensy 3.1, I have also purchased this:
http://www.pjrc.com/store/display_ili9341.html

It seemed to be cheap, not sure if it would be difficult to display the same data that you have (RPMs, Speed, Fuel and Temperature) on it or I should be looking for some other kind of display?

Edit: Or even something like this might not be a bad idea: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Serial-IIC-I2C-TWI-2004-204-20X4-Character-LCD-Module-Display-For-Arduino-/181299099752?hash=item2a3644b868
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:58:43 AM by hytron » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: