Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: HELP!!!!!!!! 3 bricked ECU's what am I doing wrong????????  (Read 51801 times)
mister t

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »

I should also add that I have some hardware arriving tommorrow: 1) Galletto V54 clone 2) VAG-ECU tool that should give OBD access to the 95040 memory and EEPROM contents 3) VAG-TACHO and 4) blank transponder chips (just in case I ever have to re-program any keys).

So hopefully that should allow me to do an in-car re-programming of the new 559E ECU that will arrive on Monday without having to go through the whole bench flash / bootmode routine :p
mister t

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 01:00:18 PM »

I have a big box of dead ecus from bad boot attempts that still will run in bootmode, read and write. Just no comms.

Lol, well that makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one around here who's wrecked ECU's. Thanks ddillenger Wink
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:02:02 PM by mister t » Logged
mister t

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 01:06:50 PM »

Another question I had that really didn't a confirmed answer was this: Which pins require 12V to the harness?

Based on this picture I got on this site, I ran power to pins 3, 21 and 62

However one of the early responses in this thread suggested that the way I had it set up was incorrect. 
I had a look at the b5 bench thread: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=417.0

And the 1.8t bench thread: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6324.0

Neither mention powering up pin 21. The 1.8t does need pin 121 powering up..

So just to be clear, which pins require power?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:11:38 PM by mister t » Logged
ddillenger

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »

Lol, well that makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one around here who's wrecked ECU's. Thanks ddillenger Wink

To be clear, they came to me like that-haha. I have only destroyed a small handful of ecus, and most were intentional Shocked

All of those pins need power, and 121 on the smaller connector for OBD writing mk4 ME7.5's on the bench.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mister t

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »

Well, consistent with the rest of my life, I tend to learn my lessons the hard way lol.

Fortunately, whenever I do, I end up taking every opportunity to learn what I did wrong along the way, so it works out better in the end. It's just kind of frustrating to get there sometimes Wink

As well, I want to clear up a few points on getting the immobilizer to work with the new ECU.

Now, I can advise that I've used argdub's tool to read and save my ECU's original 95040 coding

Now, can I just transfer that my stock ECU's 95040 read directly to the new ECU, plug it in and go?

Unfortunately, since my old ECU had a reflash on it, I can't completely clone the new ECU with both the EEPROM read and the 95040 from my old ECU. Only the 95040 read is any good.

With that in mind, will there be some other coding stored elsewhere in the new ECU (i.e. EEPROM contents or otherwise) that would conflict with my old ECU's 95040 coding?

In that case should I use the 'immo off' file that argdub posted?

Now, in argdub's immo off file, when I open it in a hex editor, I see that the VIN number and the cluster coding is represented by a bunch of XXXXXXXXXX in the sidebar (red circle). Am I correct in assuming that I transfer the VIN and cluster info from my original ECU (yellow circle) to those areas? Also, what about the info in the blue areas, does it need to be transferred as well?

Or do I just use the 'immo off' file as-is?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that if I do have to insert any new information into any 90540 file that I'll need to make checksum corrections as well (I do recall seeing someone had posted a checksum corrector in the 'understanding the immobilizer' thread)

The other option is, if the hardware I have coming works properly, I may choose to recode the cluster and re-code my key with a new transponder blank to make the car work with the new ECU.

That said, my read through some of the threads here indicates that trying to re-code clusters carries it's own risk that you can fry something in the cluster and then you're really SOL and ripping out your dash to boot....

My concern with trying to recode the 95040 file is that these later ME7.1.1 ECU's carry additional immo coding in a chip other than the 95040 chip
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 02:26:16 PM by mister t » Logged
mister t

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »

The other option is, can I just

1) recode the original ECU 95040 read to 'immo off' (by changing the circled bytes from 01 (IMMO ON) to 02 (IMMO OFF), and flash it to the replacement ECU or...

2) recode the replacement ECU 95040 to 'immo off' and then re-flash that back onto the replacement ECU

Again, in both instances I'm assuming that checksums will need to be re-done correct?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

You can easily burn out ecu components if you flash the wrong file. Boot mode working means absolutely nothing.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »

You must checksum the file after making the changes to the eeprom. Subtract one from 0x1E and 0x2E when adding one to 0x12 and 0x22.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
mister t

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »

You can easily burn out ecu components if you flash the wrong file. Boot mode working means absolutely nothing.

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of an improper file itself burning out ECU components, please elaborate.

Also, any input with respect to the immo question above? I'd appreciate any feedback from either yourself or the other senior members on the matter.

While the immo thread that I referenced is immensely helpful, there are some unanswered portions for me I want to clearly document in case anyone has similar questions.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of an improper file itself burning out ECU components, please elaborate.

And your extensive experience with digital electronics design is?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
mister t

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »

So just to be sure, change from the values on the left to those on the right?
mister t

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »

And your extensive experience with digital electronics design is?

Probably about as extensive as your knowledge of criminal law.

Which is why if you were to be self-representing yourself at trial, I would think that it would be exceedingly foolish if you weren't asking questions to someone who does have expertise in that area.

Now, may we dispense with the posturing please? I'm a little confused as to how you took my not having heard of something to mean that I didn't think that was the case. It was an honest question, one that I was curious to hear your answer to. Quite frankly I felt that it would be rather informative/interesting.

As indicated, I appreciate your assistance and I've made it quite obvious that I respect what know about the field. I've also treated you with quite a bit of respect. However, I also expect that you're secure enough in your knowledge that you won't get offended at any hint of someone questioning it (which as I indicated earlier, was totally inadvertent).

In any event, I don't wish to turn this thread into a p*ssing contest, so let's both of us continue to act civil and respectful from here on in.

Thank you
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 07:30:11 PM »

"First I've heard" implies long term experience. Why not start with "I don't know anything about EE"?

Anyway: set up an I/O wrong and you can easily end up having a sensitive device sink too much current. I've popped the top of an FPGA with a single bit error. It literally exploded.

Just one of many, many, many ways things can go wrong.

ECUx Plot

mister t

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »

"First I've heard" implies long term experience. Why not start with "I don't know anything about EE"?

Anyway: set up an I/O wrong and you can easily end up having a sensitive device sink too much current. I've popped the top of an FPGA with a single bit error. It literally exploded.

Just one of many, many, many ways things can go wrong.

Ahhh, the joys/dangers of communicating via text, just ask me how well it worked when I was dating lololol ;P

Cool trick being able to blow up circuit boards with a misplaced bit though  Wink
hopsis

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »

That's a seconds golden piece of information I've gotten from this thread already. Never even occurred to me that there could be fatal hardware errors by flashing a wrong file. Maybe I've just been lucky so far as I've done my share of mistakes like flashing ME7.1.1 file to a ME7.1 ecu (tired, not concentrating, picked a wrong file from folder). I immediately figured what was wrong when car didn't start but never thought I could have bricked the ecu.

I've learnt more from reading about other peoples problems (exactly like this thread) than just reading how something SHOULD have been done. All the information is there but this way burns a better lasting memory imprint than browsing through pages of instructions and not knowing what does what. This might sound bad, but for the rest of us beginners it's a good thing that someone is stupid/brave enough to make these mistakes and definitely brave enough to admit them and ask afterwards. This is intended as a compliment, not an insult  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: