Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Swapping a 2.7T into a 914 and need help getting started with the ECU  (Read 9758 times)
csdilligaf

I have built several over the top 914's with LS6 motors.  That's child play these days with the plug and play stuff.  I wanted to tackle an all German 914 this time so I have a Boxster S 6 speed and an Audi 2.7T complete with harness and ECU.  They bolt together and all the mechanical stuff is easy but I am looking at all these wires and plugs and feel like I may never be able to do it.   I came across this site and think it is the place to start so my noob questions are
1] With NefMoto software can flash the ECU to the point of a track car application? No emission, no anti-theft, get rid of the automatic trans, run aftermarket gauges not the audi cluster.  Basically a stand alone package
2] Where do you start learning?  I tried the "Community  Project 2.7T" thread in the Tune section and got 3 pages in and was lost.
3] Anyone in the San Diego area that you can recommend for help?
  Give me some guidance and if I have to spend a year reading every page of this forum I will, But I better take notes because this seems huge to me.  I have 30 years in CNC machining, how bad can this really be?
thanks
Chip Smith
nyet
Administrator

1] With NefMoto software can flash the ECU to the point of a track car application? No emission, no anti-theft, get rid of the automatic trans, run aftermarket gauges not the audi cluster.  Basically a stand alone package

Flash a stock b5s4 6 sp file (551M). No immo. Emissions code outs are on the S4wiki tuning page. You can run aftermarket gauges but you may have speed sensor issues (the stock ECU gets its speed sensor signal from the cluster, iirc, so you may have to wire it separately).
2] Where do you start learning?  I tried the "Community  Project 2.7T" thread in the Tune section and got 3 pages in and was lost.

That combined with the s4wiki tuning page, and thats all you get. If it is too much, and you're used to standalone, you can just run a standalone ecu.

Give me some guidance and if I have to spend a year reading every page of this forum I will, But I better take notes because this seems huge to me.  I have 30 years in CNC machining, how bad can this really be?

If you are unfamiliar with torque based engine management, and things like PIDs, it may be a long climb.. but you have a great project planned, and hopefully you'll get lots of help here.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 06:22:13 PM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
vwaudiguy

Love to see some pics of these monsters!

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
csdilligaf

Well I am going to give it a shot.  I have to, too many parts and time invested at this point.  I figured I would have to run a speed sensor of wheel or axle.  That's what I do for the LS motors so I can handle that.  Biggest problem I see is sorting out all the things in the harness and ECU that I don't need and can run without.  Here are some 914's I've done from mild to wild. Nice silver daily driver and a Center Seat tube chassis that wears a fiberglass wide body 914 shell
nyet
Administrator

Biggest problem I see is sorting out all the things in the harness and ECU that I don't need and can run without.

Post up a list and we will try to help out.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
csdilligaf

I looked at my ECU and it is a Bosch ME7.1.  Things I know I wont need or want to deal with is the auto trans section.  Hoping NefMoto will allow me to take that out and still function without having to add some code or input to the manual trans.  I think I would have better understanding if I know what the minimum is that it takes to run the motor and tune it with NefMoto.  I can find them in the harness, learn what they do and go from there.
Is there a list of all the factory sensors and a way to cross of the ones I can omit?

nyet
Administrator

I looked at my ECU and it is a Bosch ME7.1.  Things I know I wont need or want to deal with is the auto trans section.

ECU is the same for Auto/manual (physically). Only difference is ECU flash and eeprom coding.

Hoping NefMoto will allow me to take that out and still function without having to add some code or input to the manual trans.  I think I would have better understanding if I know what the minimum is that it takes to run the motor and tune it with NefMoto.  I can find them in the harness, learn what they do and go from there.
Is there a list of all the factory sensors and a way to cross of the ones I can omit?

You can omit secondary O2s and EGTs, but I wouldn't skip anything else.

Make a list of things you want to omit, and i'll try to tell you if they're easy to code out.

ECUx Plot

csdilligaf

Maybe I will try to use as much as possible then. I'll work on getting it more complete and read as much of the noob sections and then trouble you guys more when I am really stuck.
thanks for the help so far.  I feel I can get thru this with all the info the forum has to offer and some help from you guru guys.
nyet
Administrator

Maybe I will try to use as much as possible then. I'll work on getting it more complete and read as much of the noob sections and then trouble you guys more when I am really stuck.
thanks for the help so far.  I feel I can get thru this with all the info the forum has to offer and some help from you guru guys.

LOTS of people have successfully transplanted the 2.7t, I'm betting you'll get this running.

The trick is to really keep as many stock sensors and inputs/outputs as you can possibly make work.

Once you start dropping sensors, it makes more sense to go standalone.

ECUx Plot

aef

Whats the engine code and year from which car? We can send you a wiring diagram which will help.
csdilligaf

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »

The engine came from a 2001 Allroad 2.7t with an automatic.  That should be an APB code I believe.  I have decided to use the Audi Gauge cluster now as well.  Was not going to but you guys say use as much as you can so if it makes it easier I will.  If you need to send the diagram to an email send it too csdilligaf at cox dot net

thanks
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:32:17 AM by csdilligaf » Logged
Tshirt2k

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 06:41:31 AM »

If you take the immobiliser off. You can run without the cluster.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »

The engine came from a 2001 Allroad 2.7t with an automatic.  That should be an APB code I believe.

If you flash it with a b5s4 6p file (eg 8D0907551M), you don't have to worry about immo, cluster, or auto trans.

I have decided to use the Audi Gauge cluster now as well.  Was not going to but you guys say use as much as you can so if it makes it easier I will.

You absolutely don't have to run the cluster if you don't want to, you only have to worry about the speed sensor.

ECUx Plot

csdilligaf

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »

After thinking about it I rather like the idea of the Audi gauge cluster so I have that and the dash harness on the way from the same car the motor came from.  It has the fuse panel and the OBD2 plug.  I think this should give me enough stuff to work on for a long time.  You guys have been great help. I have a big learning curve but am looking forward to it. 
connfish

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 05:42:51 AM »

I just came across your post. Great idea. Would like to follow your efforts.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: