Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: MED17.5 Passat B6 2010 DSG7  (Read 18984 times)
panos1975

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »

I thought the same at the beginning.
We already modify the firmware for TCU. In attachment stock 300nm and modified 400nm limit.
No meaning of course.
are you joking?change one value does not meaning dsg tuning.....
Nikifan

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »

The point is you've gotten absolutely nowhere.
Not with modifying the box nor modifying the engine.

You have -16 deg timing on WOT, throttle cut, your lambda target is all over the place and your gearbox torque limits are untouched.

You are trying to do in a month what took many of us years and years.
You will not succeed. It is more reasonable from both the view of the longevity of your engine and gearbox as well as time spent to pay a professional to tune your car.

If you are just getting into this, I'd try to understand engine basics and get a project car with a MUCH simpler ecu. For example ME7 with a manual gearbox. Get super comfortable with it (that'll take a few years at least), and then move on to MED17.
You are trying to run before you can walk, and there is nothing I can do to help you, because no matter what I give you, you will ask for more, as you have not managed to set a single parameter right on your own.
You don't need "help" - you need a full tune from scratch :/

I don't want to sound condescending but no one will learn this stuff in a month, NO ONE.
You know how to demotivate;
However, in a month or so I managed to get to know basics of OLS and the bins structure as well as how to work with DAMOS files and what the process in general. I don't think it is nothing at all?

I fully understand that it is not the easiest stuff, but it is feasible and as my car is working and giving more boost now I'm on the right way. I understand that the file need works, but guys - you are telling me that it takes for you years to understand all things and as I am learning it only about 1-1.5 months and this is my first file - it is already something.

On the WEB I find guides only for ME7/MED9, but nothing for MED17 that is why I came to this forum to ask for your help to guide me what to read or where is a mistakes. This is one of the aim of specialized forums I think.
I do not have opportunity to get a project car with simplier ECU, so I'm working with that I have.

I can afford to buy a tuning, but it is a consumer approach; where i'm very interested in the process itself and would like to understand it in details and make it by my own.
prj

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 10:39:12 PM »

More boost with -15 and lower degrees timing. Do you even understand what you are doing?
Do you know what your EGT is doing? And as I said - there is not a single thing done right in your file as evidenced by the logs of your engine parameters.
Even worse, you don't seem to understand engine basics. Best case it'll never work, worst case you'll need a replacement engine if you continue.

You don't have the "possibility" to get a project car, but you have the money to buy a new engine for your passat? Or you think "this can't happen to me"?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:42:00 PM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
mister t

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »

OK, I think that I've had a bit of an ephiphany about this forum here...

This thread is a picture perfect example of what happens in 99% of the threads here;

*Noob* "I have X problem"

*Forum Gurus* "You don't have a clue what you're doing, stop, learn German, memorize funktionramen, smear yourself in paste and do a voodoo dance around a bricked ECU" (dispenses cryptic bit of clipped advice)

*Noob* "oh, OK.... I guess...?

END OF THREAD

My point is, where I think this forum falls short is that many of those who actually have answers to questions will hint that they know the answers, but often stop short of explaining it under the premise of "I don't want to spoon-feed someone".

The reality is, while it may take years for us to learn something, if you've truly mastered it, you ought to be able to articulate it in such a way that others can comprehend it. Maybe it's a skillset that I naturally possess and take for granted. However, I'd like to believe that the ability to efficiently pass on knowledge to others is not a skill that's unique to me.

While I can appreciate that the forum gurus don't want to waste their time answering inane /repetitive/easily searched questions, I'm sure I speak for many when I state "I would really appreciate more straightforward answers from those who can provide them".

When I look at this thread, I see an opportunity to start a discussion about DSG tuning, a subject about which I know little, but would love to learn about. However, absent a project car, logging software and definition files, I can only rely on other members here who DO have access to these things to learn anything about the subject.

While I realize that passing on this knowledge is a gratuity on the part of those in the know, I counter with this question, "if you choose to post on a thread, why not do so as a contributing member of this community?"

I guess I just don't see the point of taking the time to tell someone that there is an answer to their question, but they're not going to tell them. If that makes any sense. When this happens, all we end up with are a bunch of stunted threads that don't go anywhere and little fractured fragments of knowledge here and there, but no cohesiveness in it all.

Finally, I DO want to acknowledge that a lot of the answers I refer to have commercial value and I can see why there may be some reluctance to share that knowledge. However I'm certain that there must be a way to pass on knowledge in such a way that answers the question without letting the cat out of the bag so to speak...

PS: PRJ, this isn't meant as an attack on you personally, it's just something I've really began noticing lately.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:47:35 PM by mister t » Logged
Nikifan

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »

This thread is a picture perfect example of what happens in 99% of the threads here;

*Forum Gurus* "You don't have a clue what you're doing, stop, learn German, memorize funktionramen, smear yourself in paste and do a voodoo dance around a bricked ECU" (dispenses cryptic bit of clipped advice)

END OF THREAD

My point is, where I think this forum falls short is that many of those who actually have answers to questions will hint that they know the answers, but often stop short of explaining it under the premise of "I don't want to spoon-feed someone".

The reality is, while it may take years for us to learn something, if you've truly mastered it, you ought to be able to articulate it in such a way that others can comprehend it. Maybe it's a skillset that I naturally possess and take for granted. However, I'd like to believe that the ability to efficiently pass on knowledge to others is not a skill that's unique to me.

While I can appreciate that the forum gurus don't want to waste their time answering inane /repetitive/easily searched questions, I'm sure I speak for many when I state "I would really appreciate more straightforward answers from those who can provide them".

Finally, I DO want to acknowledge that a lot of the answers I refer to have commercial value and I can see why there may be some reluctance to share that knowledge. However I'm certain that there must be a way to pass on knowledge in such a way that answers the question without letting the cat out of the bag so to speak...
I feels the same.
When we are talking, for example, about any computer/mobile phone/electronic vehicle components (multimedia, etc) - first of all the information available, guides everywhere and people at specialized forumes are willing to help and make noobs understand the issue and help them to overcome it.
When I fall into ECU tuning - I feel so much reluctant community, not only in my thread - also in many forums, where I tried to find needed info.
I understand that this knowledge is valuable; but guys, common, we are at the specialized forum, where we are to help each other and share info we have.
I will never be you competitor as I do it just for own interest; and anyway there are millions of people who are not willing to do this stuff and will buy not just tuning files - the whole service.
mister t

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 12:11:43 AM »

I feels the same.
When we are talking, for example, about any computer/mobile phone/electronic vehicle components (multimedia, etc) - first of all the information available, guides everywhere and people at specialized forumes are willing to help and make noobs understand the issue and help them to overcome it.
When I fall into ECU tuning - I feel so much reluctant community, not only in my thread - also in many forums, where I tried to find needed info.
I understand that this knowledge is valuable; but guys, common, we are at the specialized forum, where we are to help each other and share info we have.
I will never be you competitor as I do it just for own interest; and anyway there are millions of people who are not willing to do this stuff and will buy not just tuning files - the whole service.

Look, since I can't tell you how to fix your file, I CAN at least help you articulate your questions in such a way as to possibly get some answers from those who can help.

Tuners are a lot like lawyers, one of the biggest turn-offs is when someone comes in and gives a really vague description of what they want to do or what their problem is and expect a comprehensive answer.

Consider that it takes a LOT of time to write out a comprehensive reply to a question and that time is money.

It's a lot like preparing to meet with a lawyer. Lawyers love it when a client comes in prepared and they've clearly outlined their issues. That means that the lawyer can then quickly assess the situation and provide succinct, clear and concise answers.

When I looked at this thread, although you've done well with posting up pictures of your logs and such, I don't really have a clear sense of;

1) what are you trying to accomplish

2) what are the issues that you are having?

3) HOW are those issues manifesting (i.e. how is the car behaving?)

4) what ideas do you have to solve your issues or accomplish what you're trying to do?

Anyway, I've got to get some shut eye here. But I'll leave you with this. PRJ does have a point that you're trying to learn to swim by jumping in the deep end when you start tuning with an MED 17.5 file. However, from what I've seen of your posts, you're at least willing to try and out some effort in rather than just asking for a free tuning file.

If PRJ is going to give you his time, you need to carefully consider the 4 points I laid out above. Otherwise this thread will go nowhere like so many others.

Good luck

Nikifan

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »

Look, since I can't tell you how to fix your file, I CAN at least help you articulate your questions in such a way as to possibly get some answers from those who can help.

Tuners are a lot like lawyers, one of the biggest turn-offs is when someone comes in and gives a really vague description of what they want to do or what their problem is and expect a comprehensive answer.

Consider that it takes a LOT of time to write out a comprehensive reply to a question and that time is money.

It's a lot like preparing to meet with a lawyer. Lawyers love it when a client comes in prepared and they've clearly outlined their issues. That means that the lawyer can then quickly assess the situation and provide succinct, clear and concise answers.

When I looked at this thread, although you've done well with posting up pictures of your logs and such, I don't really have a clear sense of;

1) what are you trying to accomplish

2) what are the issues that you are having?

3) HOW are those issues manifesting (i.e. how is the car behaving?)

4) what ideas do you have to solve your issues or accomplish what you're trying to do?

Anyway, I've got to get some shut eye here. But I'll leave you with this. PRJ does have a point that you're trying to learn to swim by jumping in the deep end when you start tuning with an MED 17.5 file. However, from what I've seen of your posts, you're at least willing to try and out some effort in rather than just asking for a free tuning file.

If PRJ is going to give you his time, you need to carefully consider the 4 points I laid out above. Otherwise this thread will go nowhere like so many others.

Good luck
Thank you for time and explanations;

In fact for the four points you mention I gave answers in first post:
1) what are you trying to accomplish. Trying to achieve lets say Stage1 tuning; around 300nm and 200hp. Now I already have 200hp but stuck with 250nm.

2) what are the issues that you are having? Issue of throttle shut and boost cut due to torque limits of 250nm

3) HOW are those issues manifesting (i.e. how is the car behaving?)  When you go at part throttle (under 50% pedal lets say) - everything goes smooth, but once you kick pedal hard - the car accelerate hard and after 0.5sec start jerks (at logs visible as throttle shut and boost cut) - the load is decreasing and car continue to accelerate but ligher; at high revs (5000+ no such problems as trq is under limit)

4) what ideas do you have to solve your issues or accomplish what you're trying to do?  Trying to find those torque limiters (Maps and logic), but cannot find them neither at Damos (via just seraching by "trq", "geitribe", 'schutz" etc) neither at searching via google my different combination (Med17 torque limit; Med17 trq; Med17 LDRXN; DQ200 torque limiters; DSG7 torque limiters and sooooo on)
prj

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 02:12:33 AM »

You have 200hp with -15 deg ignition timing? Really?
Do you even understand what ignition timing is?

Log your car properly.
IamwhoIam

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 02:22:14 AM »

END OF THREAD

When I look at this thread, I see an opportunity to start a discussion about DSG tuning, a subject about which I know little, but would love to learn about. However, absent a project car, logging software and definition files, I can only rely on other members here who DO have access to these things to learn anything about the subject.

While I realize that passing on this knowledge is a gratuity on the part of those in the know, I counter with this question, "if you choose to post on a thread, why not do so as a contributing member of this community?"

I guess I just don't see the point of taking the time to tell someone that there is an answer to their question, but they're not going to tell them. If that makes any sense. When this happens, all we end up with are a bunch of stunted threads that don't go anywhere and little fractured fragments of knowledge here and there, but no cohesiveness in it all.

PS: PRJ, this isn't meant as an attack on you personally, it's just something I've really began noticing lately.   

blah blah blah, since when is this forum supposed to be a place for those who know to teach from scratch those who don't, for free and during time off or worse even, whilst in the middle of doing their professional activity, be it tuning or something else? Or am I missing something here?

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
IamwhoIam

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 02:27:19 AM »

one more thing: you claimed that you can find online "guides" on how to "tune" ME7/MED9 but not MED17. If you had UNDERSTOOD at least ONE bit of how ME7 works, instead of blindly reapplying someone else's logic (which might be flawed), then you might finally start to realize how STUPID what you've written sounds. MED17 uses the same base logic as ME7/MED9, but with a few extra bells and whistles.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
Nikifan

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 03:08:30 AM »

You have 200hp with -15 deg ignition timing? Really?
Do you even understand what ignition timing is?
On the logs is just showing as negative
In fact in maps it is as follows:

Moreover, as I am expriencing jerks - ignition also floats somewhere... before I increase load more than 250nm it was stable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:17:04 AM by Nikifan » Logged
Nikifan

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:28 AM »

one more thing: you claimed that you can find online "guides" on how to "tune" ME7/MED9 but not MED17. If you had UNDERSTOOD at least ONE bit of how ME7 works, instead of blindly reapplying someone else's logic (which might be flawed), then you might finally start to realize how STUPID what you've written sounds. MED17 uses the same base logic as ME7/MED9, but with a few extra bells and whistles.
The problem I'am experincing related to MED17 with the pair of DQ200, especially torque limitations of 250nm. When the same engine with same MED17 used with mechanical gearbox there is no such problem as I have.
So I cannot find the solution in ME7 guides in how to overcome this trq limit
prj

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 03:40:47 AM »

On the logs is just showing as negative
In fact in maps it is as follows:

"Just showing as negative". Well that's the actual timing you are running. And not the timing that you have in the maps.
So again, you really think you have 200hp with -15 degrees timing?

Log your car properly.
Nikifan

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 04:01:04 AM »

"Just showing as negative". Well that's the actual timing you are running. And not the timing that you have in the maps.
So again, you really think you have 200hp with -15 degrees timing?
It is hard to make such a big screenshot - so please check attachment.
That is actual timing I have.
Yes they are strange at 2000-3000 because of trq limit and jerks. As I said - they are normal if I decrease load via LDRXN maps and trq intervention is not happening.
The 200hp I get over 5000revs - there I have timings according to the map and yes I have 200hp as 100-200 I did in around 17seconds and air flow is between 150-160.

BTW; I forget to answer about EGT - it is normal, with moderate driving around 500-600, maximum agressive not more than 850, usually around 800. It is also visible in log as CAT1.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:06:10 AM by Nikifan » Logged
prj

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »

Your car doesn't have an EGT sensor.

Log your car properly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: