Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Volvo xc90 (2003) - ME7 - right tool for ecu editing ?  (Read 2446 times)
mops

« on: February 10, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »

Hello.

Great forums. I searched alot here but cant find the right answers. I get this is mainly VAG oriented forum but I cant find anything better.

Quick background. I got a 2003 Volvo xc90 2.5T. I want to increase boost. Yes, I do realize this is not really a performance vehicle. In the past i did a complete restoration of bmw e30 with built m20b27 and a Holset turbo, EMS was megasquirt 2. So I have pretty good idea what Im doing. It has ME7.0.1 or 7.1, Im not certain. Apparently there are also different microchips on the ecu itself so procedure /or tools might vary.

But in this volvo everything is ECU controlled, so I cant just intercept wastegate input to adjust the boost. ECU maps have to be edited to. And that's where Im stuck - I do not know how to download (and then upload) ECU flash. once I have a .bin then I can probably edit it with winols or something else. Im planning on getting a second ECU that I'll modify and keep the original stock.

The noob question - what is the right tool to download/upload ecu .bin file?
There's several tools and Im confused as to which one I should get. There's K-TAG, KESS, Gelato (spelling) cable ? Anything else thats better?  I already have volvo specific OBD tool - DICE (and VIDA software). While I can open the ECU and doing it 'on the bench', I'd prefer something that would allow me to flash the ecu without removel, if possible.

Also what is the right software to do the download/upload of the ECU file ?

Thanks,
Mops.
aef

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:52:37 AM »

Tools are expensive. Just buy a tune @ hilton for example.
Mach1

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:41 AM »

Galletto 1260 or similar for reading off bench. Terminal I/O, Hilton for reading via OBD port.
mops

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »

Tools are expensive. Just buy a tune @ hilton for example.

Have considered this. Buying tune has some drawbacks, main one being its one off things, while I want to learn how to do it on this and other cars.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: