Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Virtual Dyno - setup & tutorial  (Read 9959 times)
Blazius

« on: June 08, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »

I made this post on Audizine but I figured I might aswell copy paste it here for you folks ( and newbies)
anyway lets get into it:

If you boys didnt know there is this app called Virtual Dyno https://barnhill.bitbucket.io/

Its a virtual point a to point b , time /rpm dyno but its quite accurate if you put in the proper info, as it takes car details and transmission stuff into effect. Its very good for seeing tune differences etc. like timing change and so on.

You basically download and install, make a log in VCDS , by logging RPM , and throttle pedal position , and maybe actual boost , and make sure to set vcds to turbo mode or lowest latency speed.
After open VD and go to File-> Options click on the Columns and Profiles tab and input the following data:

or whatever your VCDS log names the values, just open it in notepad ( the log file) and name them accordingly but these should be default nomenclature, also untick lambda if you didnt log that. now click save.

Also go File -> Options -> Dnyo - correction factor, tick custom , and put 1.01 and smoothing 3, from what Ive seen and read this works the best.

Now go File -> car editor, and make your car profile. Year is whatever, Make Audi model etc. Weight for a 1.8T DBC is 1195 KG ( 2 634.5 LBS) , 1.8 T DBW is 1230 KG ( 2 711.6 LBS) , 1.8T quattro DBC is 2 899.0 LBS, 1.8T quattro DBW is 2 976.2 LBS. Avants are : 1.8T quattro - 3 108.5 LBS, 1.8T FWD - 2 866.0 LBS.
Now you need to input drag coefficient: B5 FWD - 0.31, B5 quattro - 0.32, B5 Avant - 0.32 , B5 Avant Facelift - 0.31

After frontal area in ft2 - same order as above - : 21,9 , 21,9 , 22 , 22

Tire diamater leave empty as VD has builtin calculator after u load log. Now fill out the gear ratios and final drive in decimal numbers, this is dependent on your trans Cheesy go find it or tell me your trans code.
Then save it as custom.

Now go File -> Load and load your log , it should load now, from 1st dropdown , select your car by going Custom+ whatever make and model , and double click it finally when you get to the profile.

Now click that blue button thing next to Tire, and fill out tire details and put your weight in Lbs in Occ.weight , then finally, select the gear you logged in and you should get your graph. If you set up everything correctly it should be withing +10/-10% ranges at max.

If you want to compare graphs in the future make sure to use the same road, or it will throw it off.

NOTE for Nefmoto / ME7 Logger: You/we dont need to use VCDS to get logs, if you got ME7 logger setup you can use that too, just follow the same instructions and make a separete csv with only RPM, TPS and time colums.

Good luck. Kiss
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »

ecuxplot has something similar

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Blazius

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »

ecuxplot has something similar

Yup I know and its nice, however this plots based on tires/transmission ratios, so its probably a bit more accurate than MAF reading and fueling. Also timing changes reflect on the graph better( probably).

Both good. I'd say give this a try too.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »

Yup I know and its nice, however this plots based on tires/transmission ratios, so its probably a bit more accurate than MAF reading and fueling. Also timing changes reflect on the graph better( probably).

Both good. I'd say give this a try too.

ECUxPlot literally uses RPM vs time.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Blazius

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »

ECUxPlot literally uses RPM vs time.

Yeah but it doesnt take transmission stuff into consideration does it? Also it doesnt know the gear right? Im guessing the MAF diamater, injector sizes etc are for the other simulations you can do.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »

Of course it takes gearing into account. It uses only RPM data.

ECUx Plot

Blazius

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 05:10:37 PM »

Of course it takes gearing into account. It uses only RPM data.

What I mean is that through some fuckery you can find out trans ratios , from rpm and speed(time) right, so possibily you can use similar logic in plotting the graph ?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

The only thing that matters is converting RPM to velocity.

ECUx Plot

Blazius

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »

The only thing that matters is converting RPM to velocity.

Hmm, I love 3:16 AM brainstorming. Anyway are you gonna give this a try Tongue ?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »

watts = kg-m^2 / s^3

there are 745.7 watts in 1 hp
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:20:12 PM by nyet » Logged

ECUx Plot

Blazius

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »

watts = kg-m^2 / s^3

there are 745.7 watts in 1 hp

Unfortunately its closed source Sad
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »

Yes, otherwise i would add ME7Logger support.

ECUx Plot

BlackT

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 01:02:56 AM »

Yeah but it doesnt take transmission stuff into consideration does it? Also it doesnt know the gear right? Im guessing the MAF diamater, injector sizes etc are for the other simulations you can do.
yes it takes eveything. Drag coficient, transsmision lost, car weight.  Only what you must convert manal is MPH per RPM

Thank you for explain how to use virtual dyno. I used it long time ago it has so many adjusments, so your power graph can be diffrent for 20-30 hp. This summer I have plan to compare ECUx and results on real dyno
G-ZAPP

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »

Hi, thank you for this. Altought this is an old post I hope you (I've PM but maybe this post is to old) or someone else could tell me if my gear ratios for Sirocco R 6spd manual (2010) is right. Internet gives me random ratios (final drive) and faulty results in Virtual Dyno.

See attachments. Can you say if the ratios are good because the one from VWgearboxratios sheet gives me the most plausible results (only also a bit to much WHP and NM I think). It's stage 2 straight pipe with all the mods except upgradet fuel pomps (I think it's sometimes running out of the OEM hpfp). 1.3 a 1.4 bar boost, 11.7 AFR at WOT.

Gear ratios good and with that is the dyno sheet correct (runs attached)?

Thanks in advance!
Blazius

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 09:49:21 AM »

snip

The ratios for LMN should be 47/32 for 3rd gear and 37/34, also remember you need to make the logs on little elevation as possible, wouldve been nice if you had a log with stock car then you could see the difference and gains between the two. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: