Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: APR Tuned ECU "bricked" after EEPROM change  (Read 8412 times)
fR3ZNO

« on: November 11, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »

Hi all, long story short, I tried to disable the immo on an APR tuned ECU using Argdub's and turboat's eeprom tools. I've used them in the past for a factory ECU which was then flashed with another tune and never had any problems.

This is with a B6 1.8T ECU, PN: 8E0 909 518AK. APR Tune is a "Stage 1+" which uses 386cc injectors from a TT225, no other hardware required.

I was under the impression that the EEPROM is separate from the memory that the flash is stored on, so I'm not sure how that would have affected it. Unless the APR tune has a safeguard in it to prevent EEPROM changes.

For the record, the APR tune was on the car when I bought it (immobilizer active). I was chasing a lean issue with the TT225 injectors that it uses, so I switched to a stock injector tune (which verified that the injectors were clogged). I had the TT225 injectors cleaned and tested and decided to sell the tune and injectors. To make it easier for the buyer, I disabled the immobilizer as I had done in the past. However, when the buyer installed it in his car, it just cranks and cranks. I verified this issue in my own car after it was sent back to me. I also noticed that the dash lights stay on (ABS, ESP, etc) and the CEL is flashing with the key on. I checked for codes and there are none. The only codes I could find in an autoscan were "incorrect chassis (VIN) number", which I figured was due to the different VIN stored in the ECU eeprom. I was able to solve the codes after adapting the modules to the new VIN number, but it still wouldn't start.

The car starts and runs just fine when I put the other ECU in.

I apologize if this has been covered in the past, I tried searching and couldn't find anything similar. I would like to be able to use APR tune again, thankfully it didn't cost me anything, but at this point I just want to understand what went wrong.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:17:19 AM by fR3ZNO » Logged
bamofo

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »

Can you share the EEPROM from before and After please.
fR3ZNO

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 09:40:55 AM »

Unfortunately, I don't have the before EEPROM. I accidentally overwrote it while using the eeprom tool.  Cry

I can upload the after, though. Give me a moment, it's on my other computer.
BlackT

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »

That is chase when eeprom don't mach ECU. Even with original tune.
I think you have write wrong eeprom check again
fR3ZNO

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:49:54 AM »

That is chase when eeprom don't mach ECU. Even with original tune.
I think you have write wrong eeprom check again

I'm fairly certain it's the right EEPROM file. I even took the known good EEPROM from my spare ECU (same PN) and loaded it to the APR ECU.
bamofo

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »

if you moved an EEPROM from another ecu to the APR then your right it is a brick. if you made a backup of the APR EEPROM i can help fix it though. They put in a tag that the code looks for. no tag, no work. PM me the EEPROM if you like. otherwise you will need to start tuning your ECU now :-p
fR3ZNO

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »

if you moved an EEPROM from another ecu to the APR then your right it is a brick. if you made a backup of the APR EEPROM i can help fix it though. They put in a tag that the code looks for. no tag, no work. PM me the EEPROM if you like. otherwise you will need to start tuning your ECU now :-p

Crap. Well, I guess I learned a lesson, the hard way.

This is the BIN I loaded to the ECU. I couldn't see how to attach a file in a PM. So here you go:
bamofo

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 11:36:24 AM »

Crap. Well, I guess I learned a lesson, the hard way.

This is the BIN I loaded to the ECU. I couldn't see how to attach a file in a PM. So here you go:

Sorry Sad. I havent looked into how to create the key from scratch because the tunes arent that fantastic anyways.
fR3ZNO

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 11:40:06 AM »

Sorry Sad. I havent looked into how to create the key from scratch because the tunes arent that fantastic anyways.

No worries, thankfully this tune came with the car, so it's not like I'm out any money. It just sucks knowing I basically destroyed the file.

Undecided
BlackT

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »

I'm fairly certain it's the right EEPROM file. I even took the known good EEPROM from my spare ECU (same PN) and loaded it to the APR ECU.
As I said, you can't use eeprom from diferent ECU
fR3ZNO

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 11:46:49 AM »

As I said, you can't use eeprom from diferent ECU

Yep, I learned this the hard way, I guess. I assumed they would have the same EEPROM since the PN's matched.
sda2

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »

Can't you backup the APR file from the ECU in boot mode, flash an original file and just apply the APR changes to that calibration and firmware that does not contain the APR lock?
bamofo

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »

Can't you backup the APR file from the ECU in boot mode, flash an original file and just apply the APR changes to that calibration and firmware that does not contain the APR lock?

Yup Smiley
fR3ZNO

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »

I currently only have an FTDI cable and Nefmoto, so I can't read the APR file. From what I understand, I can do this with a Galletto cable.

So it seems like this might be an option, I just need to wait for a cable to come in...
Blazius

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 03:09:20 PM »

I currently only have an FTDI cable and Nefmoto, so I can't read the APR file. From what I understand, I can do this with a Galletto cable.

So it seems like this might be an option, I just need to wait for a cable to come in...

You should be able to do it with any ftdi, just need to edit the galletto software with the ftdi serial. the information can be found in flashing section.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: