Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MED9.1 Long coding an auto ecu for manual swap  (Read 5177 times)
omakayd

« on: September 27, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »

Regarding MED9.1:
Would it be possible to change the long coding variants in the eeprom so it will accept that coding in VCDS?

example: coding the ECUs in a D3 S8 for a manual transmission.
Obviously these never came with a manual transmission, nor did the C6 S6 with the same engine so the manual transmission option is not available.
And naturally any attempt to code as anything but the 6-speed Auto is rejected.

If not, please explain.
prj

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 01:40:10 AM »

No, because coding is variant switching, and if the dataset contains only one variant (as in this case) then no matter what you put in the coding it will use only this variant.
Also the moment you disconnect the TCU and set the relevant parts of the dataset, your ABS/ESP will stop working because it too expects an automatic transmission.

Unless it's for an engine swap, in this case you will need to adjust the many functions in the ECU's to get the idle behavior right.

If it's not for an engine swap then forget it. The work to do it properly costs more than the car.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
omakayd

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:18:46 AM »

I understand that so my question is, and bare with me as I am oversimplifying, but isn't long coding basically like switching maps? where the maps are already stored in the ECU and only accessed when told which ones to access via long coding?

Also, I'm asking in regard to my V10 swapped B5 S4. But the information would be handy for a C6 S6 I have manual swapped recently as well.
prj

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »

I understand that so my question is, and bare with me as I am oversimplifying, but isn't long coding basically like switching maps? where the maps are already stored in the ECU and only accessed when told which ones to access via long coding?
Yes, that's exactly what it is.
Except in your case there are no maps stored for a manual variant so even if you would change the coding it would do absolutely nothing.

Log your car properly.
omakayd

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 11:18:21 AM »

Would it not be possible to add that data and make it so that long coding is available as an option (for example in the MED9.1 gen1 R8 V10)?

TCU DTCs were disabled and maps have already been modified for manual transmission in the ECUs.

The issue now is that the ABS module is seeing the long coding in the ECU and looking for a TCU even when the ABS module is correctly coded for a manual transmission.

The actual ABS codes (Bosch 5.7):
18055 - Check Coding of ECUs on Powertrain Data Bus
           P1647 - 35-00 -
18034 - Powertrain Data Bus
           P1626 - 35-00 - Missing Message from TCU
prj

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 10:19:13 PM »

Would it not be possible to add that data and make it so that long coding is available as an option (for example in the MED9.1 gen1 R8 V10)?
Not unless you are working at Bosch and have full access to the source code.

And you fault codes are most likely because ABS does not support manual coding or ECU is not modified correctly.

Btw if it's an R8 engine then there was a gated manual V10 from factory, so I don't see what the problem is.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:21:28 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
omakayd

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 03:55:09 PM »

Not unless you are working at Bosch and have full access to the source code.
This is the answer I expected but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask since many seemingly impossible problems have been solved by the creative minds on this forum.

And you fault codes are most likely because ABS does not support manual coding or ECU is not modified correctly.
The ABS is from a manual B6, supports manual coding and is coded as correctly as it can be considering the circumstances (bosch 5.7 never came in a v10 car).
I believe it is seeing the coding in the ECUs and thinks it should be looking for an auto trans.
This theory was tested by unplugging the ECUs. With them no longer on the bus, The only codes in ABS module are as follows:

Address 03: ABS Brakes       Labels: 8E0-614-517.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 614 517 H
  Component and/or Version: ABS/ESP allrad      2328
           Software Coding: 04395
            Work Shop Code: WSC 12345 
                      VCID: 2D5115FFE7DEF9E1DA-5124
2 Faults Found:

18258 - Powertrain Data Bus
            P1850 - 35-00 - Missing Message from ECU
18258 - Powertrain Data Bus
            P1850 - 35-00 - Missing Message from ECU

Btw if it's an R8 engine then there was a gated manual V10 from factory, so I don't see what the problem is.
It's not an R8 engine, I was just suggesting that the R8 did come with a manual variant so MAYBE it would help to compare to see what could be carried over into the D3 S8 and C6 S6 ECUs.
The R8 engine is completely different from the other versions in pretty much everything except displacement so unfortunately using R8 ECUs is out of the question.
prj

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 05:19:02 AM »

Then this statement is BS:
TCU DTCs were disabled and maps have already been modified for manual transmission in the ECUs.
And coding itself has nothing to do with it. When it's done right no DTC's need to be disabled and the TCU can be unplugged. The ECU should also see the clutch switch (wiring needs to be modified).

As it seems you know nothing yourself about this or modifying ECU software, and are just discussing for the sake of discussing, I do not really have anything else to add.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 05:20:51 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
_nameless

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 09:56:16 AM »

I have a working solution for this but not for free. PM me if interested. 

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
omakayd

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »

Then this statement is BS:And coding itself has nothing to do with it. When it's done right no DTC's need to be disabled and the TCU can be unplugged. The ECU should also see the clutch switch (wiring needs to be modified).

As it seems you know nothing yourself about this or modifying ECU software, and are just discussing for the sake of discussing, I do not really have anything else to add.

Thank you for your time.

I have a working solution for this but not for free. PM me if interested. 

I'll PM you.
omakayd

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 07:27:53 AM »

Still looking for input on this.
prj

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 04:59:22 AM »

What input exactly?
For someone to give it to you on a silver platter for free?
Not going to happen, it's too work intensive.

This should be moved into noob zone. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with "reverse engineering".

You didn't even post stock files.

Log your car properly.
omakayd

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 10:17:03 AM »

What input exactly?
For someone to give it to you on a silver platter for free?
Not going to happen, it's too work intensive.

This should be moved into noob zone. It certainly has absolutely nothing to do with "reverse engineering".

You didn't even post stock files.

I'm not trying to get anything for free. I'm simply opening up a conversation for those who might be able to help.
You clearly are not willing to help so why are you still replying?
prj

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »

I'm not trying to get anything for free. I'm simply opening up a conversation for those who might be able to help.
You clearly are not willing to help so why are you still replying?

Because there's nothing to "converse" here.
This is a DIY forum. You have 0 intention of doing anything yourself.

I solved what you are trying to do now ages ago. I know exactly what needs to be done.
What use is that when there's not even a stock file posted?

You know nothing about anything, you're just here to talk and beg for free shit without even being able to post the stock file and detail what you tried.
Because you didn't try anything.

Log your car properly.
omakayd

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »

Because there's nothing to "converse" here.
This is a DIY forum. You have 0 intention of doing anything yourself.

I solved what you are trying to do now ages ago. I know exactly what needs to be done.
What use is that when there's not even a stock file posted?

You know nothing about anything, you're just here to talk and beg for free shit without even being able to post the stock file and detail what you tried.
Because you didn't try anything.

I think you need a nap.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: