Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Author Topic: 1.8T 20vt Injectors  (Read 72952 times)
prj

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 09:07:56 AM »

I read that the higher CR would give me more responsiveness off boost. Which is also more efficient.
You will make more torque throughout the rev range with 8.5:1 than with 9.25:1. What you say holds true at around the 7.0:1 mark, as you go lower. Not at 9+.
The lower CR turbos would need more boost and timing to reach the same figures of that from a higher CR engine.
Load of complete rubbish. You will never reach the same figures unless you use a fuel on which the engine never knocks. Which you are not doing.

If knock and hear can be mapped around,  then surely there's no reason for this setup not to work? More efficient engine using less boost to get same power figures.
Well, why don't you go 20:1 compression ratio then? It doesn't work like that, plain and simple, because fuel has something called an "octane rating".

A 1.8T 20V with 8.0:1 will outspool, outpower and outtorque the same engine with anything higher on pump gas, any time you go near WOT. Whether on boost or off boost.
A 8.0:1 engine will make 70-80 more horsepower and up to 100nm more torque compared to your 9.2 engine with that turbo. And it will be more responsive in the entire rev range. Furthermore, because you are able to utilize fuel more efficiently at WOT (10+ degrees more spark advance without encountering knock), you will have lower EGT's and less waste heat.
The only thing that will suffer is fuel economy on light load cruise, that's it.

As a background - there is a "break-even" compression ratio for every engine with every fuel, where you start noticeably losing torque down low and the engine becomes an "on-off" switch. But for this to occur you must be able to run non-knock limited MBT any time you are off boost.
This does not happen even at 8.0:1 CR on the 1.8T 20V with pump gas. Anyone who has *any* experience tuning these engines on a steady state dyno can confirm this.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:22:06 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »

Just because there are lots of guys running 9+CR doesn't mean the setup is optimized. Get a thicker headgasket, or stack a couple MLS gaskets. The car will run better.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
prj

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »

It seems a pretty popular myth with the 1.8T crowd...
I had a couple clients with 1.8T's who were saying exactly the same thing as the OP, and had bought high compression ratio pistons. Oddly enough I have never had any issues with 2.7TT and audi I5 people, they seem to understand compression ratio a lot better and don't try to buy stupid high CR pistons.
I always ask first what fuel people are going to run, because if they are running E85 then the higher CR can be beneficial, as E85 has very good knock resistance.

But people getting high CR on coke bottle sized engines, which they are going to try to boost to 30 psi on pump gas is just a badly made decision.

Just because there are lots of guys running 9+CR doesn't mean the setup is optimized. Get a thicker headgasket, or stack a couple MLS gaskets. The car will run better.
I very much agree with you. Just because people repeat the same mistake over and over again, it does not make it right.

Log your car properly.
ddillenger

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 09:53:26 AM »

Forced induction engines are built to reduce compression, whereas naturally aspirated engines are built to increase it. I think that's where people get confused.What works well for one has the complete opposite effect on another. Try arguing with the diesel crowd Smiley

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
rob.mwpropane

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »

So I'll ask a question since compression ratio has come up. (Sorry to the op for being ot). On a turbo charged car (I can't imagine that size makes that much of a difference 1.8 vs 2.7?), what compression ratio do you advocate? I see you mention 8.5, and then go on to say 8.0. This question is for a daily, not a track car, running 93 or E85. Thanks, and apologies again, I just find this topic fascinating, especially since it seems most 1.8t forums have a lot of misinformation.

P.S.- Happy Holidays
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:41:44 PM by rob.mwpropane » Logged

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
ddillenger

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »

8.5:1 is an ideal balance for a street car. 8:1 if you're going for high boost and big power, but you can lose a little bit of off boost response if you go much lower than that. That might be fine for a drag car, but linear power delivery won't be in your vocabulary. You can do a lot more and still keep cylinder pressures sane if you keep CR lower. A high CR isn't required in boosted applications to develop power, it's useful in NA to squeeze as much air into the cylinders as possible, and they still have very poor volumetric efficiency vs forced induction. Once you get up to 9:1 you're pulling back timing to keep detonation at bay.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
byzan a4

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 05:08:47 AM »

The OP is looking to reduce by .25 of a cR from standard anyway on an increased capacity build. I have seen many BT builds running all kinds of management on this CR with no issues at all. We have decent fuel over here in the UK. As i understand it, the standard fuel in the US is effectively below what our "normal" fuel is. This seems to be where the confusion comes from. I am perfectly happy with my 1985cc stroker on an 058 block with CR 9.25-1. No problems with knock on my CR of 9.25-1 and it's tuned with ME7.5 with standard sensitivity of knock sensing ATM. I have more to come when I build my head.

prj

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »

The OP is looking to reduce by .25 of a cR from standard anyway on an increased capacity build. I have seen many BT builds running all kinds of management on this CR with no issues at all. We have decent fuel over here in the UK. As i understand it, the standard fuel in the US is effectively below what our "normal" fuel is. This seems to be where the confusion comes from. I am perfectly happy with my 1985cc stroker on an 058 block with CR 9.25-1. No problems with knock on my CR of 9.25-1 and it's tuned with ME7.5 with standard sensitivity of knock sensing ATM. I have more to come when I build my head.

You could not be more wrong. And your engine would make more power and more torque with a lower compression ratio.
Also, your UK fuel isn't anything special.

Log your car properly.
rob.mwpropane

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 11:05:02 AM »

You could not be more wrong. And your engine would make more power and more torque with a lower compression ratio.

What cr do you suggest? I assume the same as ddillenger for a street car.

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
Bische

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »

Interesting topic indeed.

I have been contemplating going higher CR on my 1.8t, about 10.5:1 running on e85 at ~30psi boost.

This was back before I had my setup up and running, I thought it would feel sluggish before ~3500rpm, but boy was I wrong. The car still feels peppy, and I have more tuning to do to improve it also, even on pump gas.

Im definatly not going higher compression ratio, in fact im just going to stick to my stock 9.3:1 pistons and just upgrade my rods. There will be more than enough grunt down low anyway. I will be running e85 during summer and pump gas during winter, and my new goal on the e85 is to try max the turbo out Smiley

prj, could you make an educated guess on under what load one are not knock limited on a stock 1.8t motor, 9.3:1 and 98 pump gas?

I have been going with > 120%, I am knock limited on 98. I have not really tuned low load timing much either, just because I dont really know at what kind of load I could expect to be able to over advance it. This assuming load is sane and not scaled.
prj

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »

prj, could you make an educated guess on under what load one are not knock limited on a stock 1.8t motor, 9.3:1 and 98 pump gas?
No, it's not that simple. Put it on a dyno, and you will know.
But from my experience if you go WOT on a GT35R at 3000 RPM on a dyno, where absolutely nothing happens boost wise then at the resulting load site then your MBT is still knock limited even at 8.0:1.

What cr do you suggest? I assume the same as ddillenger for a street car.
What turbo are you planning to run? There is no "magic number"...
It depends quite a bit on a plethora of factors, such as fuel, the engine in question and so on.
Greatly simplified (would need some corrections to be 100% correct) - dropping compression ratio will result in more power and torque everywhere, where you were knock limited before, and less power and torque everywhere, where you weren't.
To prevent the car from being sluggish down low, you have to stop dropping CR when you are no longer knock limited off boost, and that's pretty much it.
The only time your car will feel sluggish with lowered CR is if you are flooring it, there is no boost yet, and you are not knock limited anymore. But to reach that, you have to go rather low on pump gas.

Log your car properly.
byzan a4

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »

I never said our fuel was special but it's rated differently so it's not a direct comparison.

How strange that I have seen the exact opposite of what you describe on cars dyno'd on lower and higher CR....

Must be a geographical problem of somekind, like in the US the WHP figure always appear to be the calculated  FWHP we achieve over here. Having looked on here our tuning methods do not differ enough to make the difference. I'm going to agree to disagree as my experience has shown different to what you are describing
prj

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »

I never said our fuel was special but it's rated differently so it's not a direct comparison.
No, it's not. RON and AKI are directly comparable with a conversion factor applied.
How strange that I have seen the exact opposite of what you describe on cars dyno'd on lower and higher CR....
So next thing you want to tell me that laws of physics do not apply in the UK? Or that your 1.8 lump is somehow special because it is in UK?

Just out of curiosity, how many engines have you mapped on a dyno?
How many of those engines made more than 300hp/liter?

How about you counter any of the physical facts stated instead of just vaguely going on about "that works and that doesn't" ?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:21:21 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
matchew

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »

....We have decent fuel over here in the UK. As i understand it, the standard fuel in the US is effectively below what our "normal" fuel is. This seems to be where the confusion comes from.

The fuel in the UK no better than what is available in the NA market. What you mention is yet another common myth, because people do not understand how the 2 nations define 'octane' and how to compare them.

I am perfectly happy with my 1985cc stroker on an 058 block with CR 9.25-1. No problems with knock on my CR of 9.25-1 and it's tuned with ME7.5 with standard sensitivity of knock sensing ATM. I have more to come when I build my head.

What actual measured timing values do you have at peak torque? at what rpm and boost?
byzan a4

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »

No, it's not. RON and AKI are directly comparable with a conversion factor applied.So next thing you want to tell me that laws of physics do not apply in the UK? Or that your 1.8 lump is somehow special because it is in UK?

Just out of curiosity, how many engines have you mapped on a dyno?
How many of those engines made more than 300hp/liter?

How about you counter any of the physical facts stated instead of just vaguely going on about "that works and that doesn't" ?
correct on the fuel, thanks for that.

It's not special, It's a built engine running 9.25CR without problems and without it self destructing

What physical facts, all i have seen here is you stating it won't work, when others here have plainly seen different.

I have personally tuned none, I have however been present when many engines have been tuned, including low and high CR engines. Viewing the logs and interpreting the information I have not seen what you speak of in real life.

Explain to me how a larger capacity engine with higher CR will possibly have poorer spool and off boost performance?

The engine will surely breath easier and make power easier off boost, then the increased air flow through the engine will surely drive the turbine to spool the turbo faster?

Explain?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: