Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Author Topic: 1.8T 20vt Injectors  (Read 71753 times)
carsey

« on: December 23, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

Hi

Im building a GTX3071r 1.8T with 82mm pistons (9.25:1 CR), supertech valves, top mount manifold, 4" maf housing with tial 38mm wastegate.

Im looking at injectors and need some advice.  Ill be running a ME7.5 BAM ecu.

What size injectors do people recommend?  Ive heard 680cc's will do the job, but I want plenty headroom so they not running a high DC.  Also what make is the better ones?  Ive read a bit able misfires on idle, spray patterns etc so just wondering what people have had experience of on here and what they would recommend.

Chris
prj

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »

What fuel are you running?
Your compression ratio is very high (too high for pump gasoline and this turbo), could it be that you are planning to run E85?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Rick

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

I have just reached 90% duty cycle on this turbo on 870cc injectors, so these are a bare minimum.

Rick
prj

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »

I have just reached 90% duty cycle on this turbo on 870cc injectors, so these are a bare minimum.

Rick

What fuel, what fuel pressure?
GTX3071R with a 0.63 A/R housing is a sub-500hp turbo on pump fuel.
Unless you are running E85, this just means the fuel pressure is tapering. 870cc @ 3bar injectors with a 4 bar FPR on gasoline are enough for a GT35R on this engine.

Log your car properly.
carsey

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

Ideally I will be on 3bar pressure, but my setup should take 4bar easily.

Fuel using will be UK Super unleaded (vpower  or equivilant (97 and 99RON))
prj

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »

Ideally I will be on 3bar pressure, but my setup should take 4bar easily.

Fuel using will be UK Super unleaded (vpower  or equivilant (97 and 99RON))

If you have a 044 fuel pump in there anyway, then you can just use 4 bar pressure.
But you have bigger issues with your setup than injectors - you need to do something about the too high compression ratio if you want to run pump fuel.
If changing pistons is not possible or too expensive, then at least fit a compression dropping head gasket, or you won't really get much power out of the engine.

750cc EV14's at will provide you with enough fuel even at 3 bar either way, and if you need more in the future, you can just drop in a 4 bar FPR.
I tuned 825cc's with 4 bar fuel pressure and had 72% IDC with 2.1 bar boost at 7200 rpm. The turbo was quite a big bigger though - 58mm inducer vs your 53mm.

Log your car properly.
carsey

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »

Hmm, I was hoping pistons would be ok....THeres a few people here in UK that run 600bhp on 9.25 or 9.5 compression ratio.

Was hoping the 9.25:1 would give me a pretty quick spool but not cause too much knock up top end and eat power.  Only other option was 8.5:1.

We have 97-99RON fuel here so hoping my guy who does mapping can work something out.

Also be running water meth.
Rick

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »

You can do it on that compression, it's not my chosen way but a lot do.

Rick
prj

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »

Hmm, I was hoping pistons would be ok....THeres a few people here in UK that run 600bhp on 9.25 or 9.5 compression ratio.

Was hoping the 9.25:1 would give me a pretty quick spool but not cause too much knock up top end and eat power.  Only other option was 8.5:1.

We have 97-99RON fuel here so hoping my guy who does mapping can work something out.

Also be running water meth.
Water/meth will improve it quite a bit, but I have no idea why you went with that high compression ratio.
No, 9.25 will not give you better spool at all. 8.5:1 or 8.0:1 would give you much better spool.
This stupid myth of "the engine will be weaker down low with lower compression ratio" is making a lot of people choose their engine components incorrectly. You have a turbocharged engine, not a normally aspirated one!

This only starts to hold true when you go below 8.0:1... Until then, the lower, the better and more responsive the car will be in the entire rev range, because the engine is highly knock limited.
The only thing you will lose is low-load cruise efficiency, meaning slightly higher fuel consumption on the motorway.

This is of course if you are using gasoline as fuel. If using other fuels, such as LPG or E85, then the "break even" point arrives at a different ratio.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:32:30 PM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
carsey

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »

Interesting.  I alwaus thought it was the higher compression aided spool a bit and the lower gave you a bit more grunt later on in rev range.

Provided the knock can be controlled well enough should still be ok though?

And any other word on injectors?  What make best to go for etc?
matchew

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »

Interesting.  I always thought it was the higher compression aided spool a bit and the lower gave you a bit more grunt later on in rev range.

What made you think this?
carsey

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »

Ive spoke to a good few people and read a fair bit on the net about it.  I like to do my research before buying parts Smiley
prj

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »

Ive spoke to a good few people and read a fair bit on the net about it.  I like to do my research before buying parts Smiley

Seems your research has failed and you have bought the wrong parts then.
Lowering CR would only ever hurt spool if you were not knock limited. Any time you go anywhere near WOT you are instantly knock limited even at 8.0:1 on this engine.

No idea where that "high CR is good for spool" myth comes from, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with a turbo engine on pump gas.

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 02:37:11 AM »

No idea where that "high CR is good for spool" myth comes from, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with a turbo engine on pump gas.

Agreed. Lower compression is a big win (across the board) on FI cars and pump gas.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
carsey

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 07:09:42 AM »

I read that the higher CR would give me more responsiveness off boost. Which is also more efficient. The lower CR turbos would need more boost and timing to reach the same figures of that from a higher CR engine.

If knock and hear can be mapped around,  then surely there's no reason for this setup not to work? More efficient engine using less boost to get same power figures.

There's are many guys running a big turbo over here in uk with an above 9:1 compression ratio and plenty in the USA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: