Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: 1.8T 20vt Injectors  (Read 73007 times)
prj

« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »

wtf are you looking at...  Its Clearly visible...
What is clearly visible? Come again.
You posted two timing maps. Do you realize that the load axes are different between the timing maps?
The lower compression engine runs more timing everywhere in the power band.

Do you disagree with this?

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
prj

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:41 AM »

Dude I am not like that at all, dont worry about that at all mate.

My company is R-Tech Performance tuning.

Well, it didn't seem that way just a moment ago.
But I sure hope so.

Log your car properly.
nokiafix

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:38 AM »

We have gone way off topic here...

Hi

Im building a GTX3071r 1.8T with 82mm pistons (9.25:1 CR), supertech valves, top mount manifold, 4" maf housing with tial 38mm wastegate.

Im looking at injectors and need some advice.  Ill be running a ME7.5 BAM ecu.

What size injectors do people recommend?  Ive heard 680cc's will do the job, but I want plenty headroom so they not running a high DC.  Also what make is the better ones?  Ive read a bit able misfires on idle, spray patterns etc so just wondering what people have had experience of on here and what they would recommend.

Chris

I would go with the ID720cc injectors thats what I am running on my Golf with 9.5:1 at 430bhp on a T304E .64 hybrid @2bar.

ibizacupra

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »

What is clearly visible? Come again.
You posted two timing maps. Do you realize that the load axes are different between the timing maps?
The lower compression engine runs more timing everywhere in the power band.

Do you disagree with this?

yep.. I do disagree

Relative loads being 0-Full between them (yes I am ignoring the numbers..)
Full load, full revs...   all is clear to see.

prj

« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »

yep.. I do disagree

Relative loads being 0-Full between them (yes I am ignoring the numbers..)
Full load, full revs...   all is clear to see.

Huh? Why are you ignoring the numbers when load equals to cylinder filling?
Let's put it this way. The lower compression ratio engine can run more timing and extract more power at the same cylinder filling as the lower compression ratio engine.
There is no "0-full". Load is already a percentage, you are trying to calculate a percentage of a percentage.

How you can compare timing at DIFFERENT load sites is beyond me.
What do you think would happen if you dropped the CR to 9.0:1 on the Leon engine? You could run the same timing as the TT runs at the same load spots.
Except maybe up top, where the smaller turbo would equate to more backpressure, but you would still run more timing across the range.

And you do not think this would make more power?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:21:14 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
nokiafix

« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2012, 07:21:47 AM »

Well, it didn't seem that way just a moment ago.
But I sure hope so.

My comment about $5 filter was to plug at the fact there could be hardware issues, which is the issues I am running into all day long, I spend 4-5days just trying to get the hardware right in cars so I can tune the SW.  I have hit brick walls on many cars, silly timing pull, low power, silly egts ect... only to find part of the hardware not right or a a maf reading wrong.   I do more fault finding pre tuning than I do tuning.

You might come across the same setup one day and manage to get more advance from the setup then scratch your head, I have been there many times.

Nick

prj

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »

My comment about $5 filter was to plug at the fact there could be hardware issues, which is the issues I am running into all day long, I spend 4-5days just trying to get the hardware right in cars so I can tune the SW.  I have hit brick walls on many cars, silly timing pull, low power, silly egts ect... only to find part of the hardware not right or a a maf reading wrong.   I do more fault finding pre tuning than I do tuning.

You might come across the same setup one day and manage to get more advance from the setup then scratch your head, I have been there many times.

Nick

I agree, it is exactly the same here. Don't worry about the filter though, it's not 5$ and it did not pose a restriction (I tried a different one).
However, that car had an AJQ engine in it, with a stock small port head and stock cams, and I did not see anything wrong with the timing.
That setup ran 2.4 taper 2.1 bar. I have boosted a S4 2.7TT before to 2 bar, and the timing looked exactly the same on stock cams. Different cams - different timing, some headwork, and again massively different timing.
If I could run 20 degrees of timing at 30 psi at 6800 rpm on 9.5:1 CR on a stock head and only see the car make 430 hp, I would try to see and understand what is wrong. Probably first thing on the list would be a leak down test and look for excessive blow-by as my experience would suggest that something is very off with the dynamic compression of the engine.

I've come across this many times where an engine would not knock but also would not make any power without huge timing advance. Most of the time the leak down test would be pretty bad and it would start smoking quite soon after, because all the air was going past the rings. Other cases the valves were not sealing as well as they should.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:32:17 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
ibizacupra

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »

Huh? Why are you ignoring the numbers when load equals to cylinder filling?
Let's put it this way. The lower compression ratio engine can run more timing and extract more power at the same cylinder filling as the lower compression ratio engine.
There is no "0-full". Load is already a percentage, you are trying to calculate a percentage of a percentage.

How you can compare timing at DIFFERENT load sites is beyond me.
What do you think would happen if you dropped the CR to 9.0:1 on the Leon engine? You could run the same timing as the TT runs at the same load spots.
Except maybe up top, where the smaller turbo would equate to more backpressure, but you would still run more timing across the range.

And you do not think this would make more power?

you have said, lower CR will make more power, and this suggests the opposite is also true.. Does it not.. Your arguement, not mine or others.

Timing can be run higher on the lower CR engine you also say, yes?

Post up a timing map from the tt on your website. stock CR on it, 9:1, retune when lowered you comment on your site.

I will say this.. I run hybrid Precision62/GT3582 on 1900cc 1.8t, in a race car.. It runs currently a 9.5:1 CR engine on its build spec.. Previously 8.5:1 motor.  It happily runs 26deg of ign advance on vpower pump fuel, no extras..  It has run more timingwith zero det (on cans). (cyl pressures will be too high however)

It is also >300bhp/ltr in race trim, more if I turn it up (which I dont need to do for the c'ship I compete in)

I chose higher CR deliberatly for this engine... It has in no way hurt anything, but has helped it "pep" up and response out of the corners is greatly improved.  Response out of the slower corners is on par with the atmo cars I race against, as I am not completely reliant on the turbo's spool for its performance.

If the op reads your opinion on the CR his engine will explode at any minute... When clearly it would not.

Others manage it, yet you wont open your mind to the remote chance that others are making it work... and you dont have to deck the CR to get a turbo motor to work.. In the 80's perhaps with clockwork ecu's, but now... its just not the same thankfully.

You seem to have a fixation on 30psi boost levels?  Bizarre.. No wonder you cant run much timing when you make them so hot in the first place...  You dont have to wind the wick up on the boost to drive decent power/torque and engine response.  There are Other ways.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:35:37 AM by ibizacupra » Logged
prj

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »

you have said, lower CR will make more power, and this suggests the opposite is also true.. Does it not.. Your arguement, not mine or others.
I have not said lower CR will always make more power.
The timing maps you posted clearly show that lower CR makes more power in this application (1.8T k03 vs 1.8T k04 factory).
If you look at what LOAD means in ME7, you will see that your comment about 0-full was not adequate and that in fact to compare timing between these two engines you should compare timing at the same load sites.
This is how Motronic has worked since the early 80's. This how it works until today, where from factory load = cylinder filling.

I will say this.. I run hybrid Precision62/GT3582 on 1900cc 1.8t, in a race car.. It runs currently a 9.5:1 CR engine on its build spec.. Previously 8.5:1 motor.  It happily runs 26deg of ign advance on vpower pump fuel, no extras..  It has run more timingwith zero det (on cans). (cyl pressures will be too high however)
On the GT3582 you are for sure not running stock cams nor stock head. You are running big cams with big overlap.
With big overlap comes the fact, that not all the air that goes into the cylinder gets compressed. This results in low dynamic compression, even at a high compression ratio.
An extreme case can be seen in NASCAR where they run very high compression ratio, because the airflow is choked through a restrictor.

You need to understand that compression ratio heavily depends on the head and cam configuration. I am mostly talking standard head here, your race car is an exact opposite.
Making conclusions from what you see on that, at high RPM and then applying that to a car on stock head is not a correct approach.

If the op reads your opinion on the CR his engine will explode at any minute... When clearly it would not.
Of course it would not explode, I just think it will make more power Wink

The question is all about extracting power for me, not about "making it work". You can make things "work" with just about anything you put on the car, but that's not the point, is it ?
I don't see any reason for your 30 psi comments besides personal offense. It is just a number used as an example, because it is nice and round, nothing more, nothing less.
As to making power, you can either run lots of boost, or you can rev very high or have a very good VE.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:46:54 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
ibizacupra

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »

I don't see any reason for your 30 psi comments besides personal offense.
[/quote]
Offence?? LMAO... READ YOUR OWN POSTs....

You are an Arrogant & Rude man.. End of discussion.

You feel you are free to throw insults out to others etc, yet you also feel someone's causing you personal offence if Your own comments are redirected back at you.

Get a life FFS... STOP being a nasty Arse on the forum... You are clearly more intelligent than that, and let yourself down badly with your abrupt, rude, responses.

You are NOT the only guy on the planet tuning these engines and getting Good Results from them.  Be less blinkered. More open minded...  Its a big world out there..

Wink

carsey

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »

The question is all about extracting power for me, not about "making it work". You can make things "work" with just about anything you put on the car, but that's not the point, is it ?
I don't see any reason for your 30 psi comments besides personal offense. It is just a number used as an example, because it is nice and round, nothing more, nothing less.
As to making power, you can either run lots of boost, or you can rev very high or have a very good VE.

Personally, I think I would rather see less power, but have a car that is going to respond well to different throttle applications, and have a nice graph plotted on a dyno with the car having plenty of drivability, and also power held nicely across the revs (needless to say probably more suited to the smaller k03/k04 turbos, but lets use that as an example).  I have seen plots of power and boost of these turbos using less boost but making more power....however, what you say to make power is lots of boost or good flow of a engine.....How does that work if here in the UK we are seeing better figures and dyno plots if we use less boost  Huh Huh

How would you recommend to tune a k03/k04 turbo'd engine to produce a strong stage 2 map?  What boost? What lambda? What timing does it run? What are the EGTs like?

prj

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »

I don't see any reason for your 30 psi comments besides personal offense.

Offence?? LMAO... READ YOUR OWN POSTs....

You are an Arrogant & Rude man.. End of discussion.

You feel you are free to throw insults out to others etc, yet you also feel someone's causing you personal offence if Your own comments are redirected back at you.

Get a life FFS... STOP being a nasty Arse on the forum... You are clearly more intelligent than that, and let yourself down badly with your abrupt, rude, responses.

You are NOT the only guy on the planet tuning these engines and getting Good Results from them.  Be less blinkered. More open minded...  Its a big world out there..

Wink
It hurts you a lot being wrong about something as simple as LOAD in a ME7 ECU, doesn't it?
Maybe you would like to throw in a few other cliche insults, such as "get laid" and so on, to convince me of your superior intelligence?

Personally, I think I would rather see less power, but have a car that is going to respond well to different throttle applications, and have a nice graph plotted on a dyno with the car having plenty of drivability, and also power held nicely across the revs (needless to say probably more suited to the smaller k03/k04 turbos, but lets use that as an example).
Where do you get the assumption that the car is going to respond any worse to the throttle with the lower CR in your application?
You keep repeating that over and over again, it does not make it true if you keep repeating it. This is simply not the case.

I have seen plots of power and boost of these turbos using less boost but making more power....however, what you say to make power is lots of boost or good flow of a engine.....
Point out where I said this. Because I never did.
I'll ask you - what makes power in an internal combustion engine? Go on.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:58:10 AM by prj » Logged

Log your car properly.
carsey

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »

here??

From that it would appear that you say that to make power you need lots of boost and also rev the engine very high?  Tuning is certainly not my forte however, from what I have seen, the need to rev high, especially on a smaller k03/k04 turbo car is un-necessary, as ive seen many hundreds of cars tuned with those turbos on making their peak power at 4500-5000rpm.

Answer my question?  How would you tune a k03/k04 car?
prj

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »

here??

From that it would appear that you say that to make power you need lots of boost and also rev the engine very high?  Tuning is certainly not my forte however, from what I have seen, the need to rev high, especially on a smaller k03/k04 turbo car is un-necessary, as ive seen many hundreds of cars tuned with those turbos on making their peak power at 4500-5000rpm.

Then I would like you to read more carefully.
Note how I said or between every single statement.

So, what makes power in an internal combustion engine?

Log your car properly.
ibizacupra

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

It hurts you a lot being wrong about something as simple as LOAD in a ME7 ECU, doesn't it?
Maybe you would like to throw in a few other cliche insults, such as "get laid" and so on, to convince me of your superior intelligence?

Do you hear voices in your head?
where do you dream up this stuff?? lmao.. sorry but you really do seem quite insecure and sad, responding like you do in forum posts.

I'll leave you to throw out the insults.. you are far more adept at it..  Practice makes perfect... and damn, you do get to practice a lot - lmao

"have a nice day"

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: