Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Blowing Coil Packs  (Read 31197 times)
ddillenger

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »

You rechecked them when you replaced the coils? Increased gap=increased resistance=increased coil load=decreased service life. Not dramatically so, but worth checking into.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
catbed

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 10:32:58 PM »

You rechecked them when you replaced the coils? Increased gap=increased resistance=increased coil load=decreased service life. Not dramatically so, but worth checking into.

I checked them right before the first set went. I have not measured them since but they looked fine before my most recent set of coils.
masterj

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »

So, have you fixed your problem?

catbed

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »

So, have you fixed your problem?

I changed the necessary maps for the 2.0 dwell times, and tsrldyn is down 1ms from before. I'm not sure how it behaved on the old flash under load since FTSDRLW was all 3s in my previous file, and I didn't get a chance to log it under load. But on the new maps it stays at 2.6ms all the time, and after applying the KFZDUB factor of ~.875 brings it down to an appropriate 2.275ms.

If I knew the location of szout, it would be much easier. Maybe I'll fire up IDA and start delving into that next.

The wiring looked fine, so I just rewrapped it in high temp waterproof electrical tape, followed by different high temp tape. Cleaned the grounds and it seems to be ok, threw in new BKR7E-11 gapped to .035.  I drove it a bunch, did some 2-3-4 gear pulls and all seems well. I'm going to put more miles on it to be sure.
vagenwerk

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »

Today i also blow coil pack.....

situation :
Few day ago - run 7-10times with Flatshift , also AntiLag (15-20times for 1 to max 2 seconds)
Car run great , for about 5days. (i have hitachi coils)

today i ride about 450km , first 400km was fine , but suddenly (i run very slow about 80km/h) , when i press pedal harder i felt misfire. when i stop coil on 2 cylinder was very hot and smell odd. hopefully i have one used 06A  coil  from AUQ.
i drive for about 5km and misfire also come ! also blow fuse.... i replace fuse, and run to home on 3 cylinders...

06a coil was blow , cracked etc and blow fuse, hitachi only misfire - i also found that hitachi has little cracked plastic near the top....
I run on standard pfr6q spark plugs..
boost 1.2b  - 0,7redline from k03.

quite odd that 2 coils was blown on the same cylinder after few minutes one by one... ?  today when i run i didn't used als and nls....

is possibility that riding on ftmon set 0 cause faillure (without using als/nls) or maybe it was accident ??

savages4

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »

This thread makes me glad I went with OEM replacement coils for my s4...
vagenwerk

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:45 AM »

replace 1 coil, but next coil on 3 cyl died.
it has little crack on plastic near top, also 4 cyl hase small crack, but run without misfire , 1 cyl coil hasn't any crack run great.

i plan to buy same bold down coils  Beru (hitachi with beru sticker)

what do you think about 0 dwell time ? when i use als/nls , there is no blowing fuse (i plug smaller fuse 5Amps instead of 10A ) and there is now blowing fuse , so i thing als/nls is quite safe on my setup ? Am i right ?
catbed

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

replace 1 coil, but next coil on 3 cyl died.
it has little crack on plastic near top, also 4 cyl hase small crack, but run without misfire , 1 cyl coil hasn't any crack run great.

i plan to buy same bold down coils  Beru (hitachi with beru sticker)

what do you think about 0 dwell time ? when i use als/nls , there is no blowing fuse (i plug smaller fuse 5Amps instead of 10A ) and there is now blowing fuse , so i thing als/nls is quite safe on my setup ? Am i right ?

I set my FTOMN to .5 for the time being. I think my problem was either grounding or wiring. I believe the issues are solved though, I drove two and from the place where they blew before several times without issues.

I recall hearing that the bolt down hitachi coils have a dwell time much to long for the 2.0t coils. You may need to change out your dwell maps if you plan on running 2.0t coils. Otherwise it just sounds like typical coils cracking and failing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:07:31 PM by catbed » Logged
vagenwerk

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »

I have 032HJ box (factory work with new style / 2.0T coils) , but i used 032hj with hitachi bolt down coils. i read that is good , because hitachi from fastory ger more dwell time in compare to newstyle/2.0T coils with work on short dwell time.

So if i think right - 032hj + hitachi should be long lasting. i test them, and they stil work on 0,9bar, but 1.2 not. 
I planned to buy beru same like here http://www.034motorsport.com/ignition-solutions-coil-wire-18t-bolt-down-p-476.html
And run 1.2bar boost k03.

I make alse one more test - because i know that i have to buy coils.... so i try to kill them all....

I try to run ALS LC , but there where no changes. No i think that als/nls doesn't kill coils in my case, they probably died due to age (14years) and also 1.2bar boost probably help to kill them + also i run on LPG so the coils are much more stressed (lpg mixture is difficult to fire in compare to pb95).

I would buy Beru hitachi style coils and give some info Smiley
catbed

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »

I have 032HJ box (factory work with new style / 2.0T coils) , but i used 032hj with hitachi bolt down coils. i read that is good , because hitachi from fastory ger more dwell time in compare to newstyle/2.0T coils with work on short dwell time.

So if i think right - 032hj + hitachi should be long lasting. i test them, and they stil work on 0,9bar, but 1.2 not. 
I planned to buy beru same like here http://www.034motorsport.com/ignition-solutions-coil-wire-18t-bolt-down-p-476.html
And run 1.2bar boost k03.

I make alse one more test - because i know that i have to buy coils.... so i try to kill them all....

I try to run ALS LC , but there where no changes. No i think that als/nls doesn't kill coils in my case, they probably died due to age (14years) and also 1.2bar boost probably help to kill them + also i run on LPG so the coils are much more stressed (lpg mixture is difficult to fire in compare to pb95).

I would buy Beru hitachi style coils and give some info Smiley

Check your gap too. Too much gap and the coil has to work harder. I gapped my bkr7e-11s to .035 in.
vagenwerk

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »

i have 0.028' gap pfr6q (0.7mm)
vagenwerk

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »

update
i run 2 days on 3x hitachi ( one little misfire on above 1bar boost) and also new type coil 1.8T but it was aftermarket VEMO,
today vemo start to mifire badly. probably it was crap shit...  i plug one new type  1.8T ORI VW coil and still 3xhitachi bolt down , and do some test. Tommorow i will get 4 Brand New Bold Down hitachi style BERU coils...

I still thinking about als/nls ? 0 dwell time could blow coils ? i run few times als/nls but without poping fuses , so is this safe for coils or not ?
ddillenger

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:08 PM »

No, it is not safe to run a non existent dwell.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
vagenwerk

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »

how about setting dwell time to 0.5 (stock was 6ms) ? what you think about ?
but als probably won't work right ?
vagenwerk

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 07:32:14 AM »

next coil blow.... its 3 set...
ftmon 0, als nls used about 15times.
i think spark cut kill coils....

i will flash ecu without als/nls....
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: