Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Blowing Coil Packs  (Read 30793 times)
userpike

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 12:38:11 PM »

next coil blow.... its 3 set...
ftmon 0, als nls used about 15times.
i think spark cut kill coils....

i will flash ecu without als/nls....

with all the issues, I would also flash a stock file and see how the coils react. that's crazy you are killing coils like that when it seems the issue is non existent with other peoples setups. Could you have a bad ground for the coil harness or something? Good Luck!
catbed

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »

with all the issues, I would also flash a stock file and see how the coils react. that's crazy you are killing coils like that when it seems the issue is non existent with other peoples setups. Could you have a bad ground for the coil harness or something? Good Luck!

I should point out, I have flashed my car with FTOMN set to stock, and coils have been fine. But I dont think it was LC/NLS causing the problems, as I was using it for months before the coils initially blew. I redid my harness and grounding at the same time so it's hard to say whats been causing the issues.
userpike

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

I should point out, I have flashed my car with FTOMN set to stock, and coils have been fine. But I dont think it was LC/NLS causing the problems, as I was using it for months before the coils initially blew. I redid my harness and grounding at the same time so it's hard to say whats been causing the issues.

hmm... I can't find FTOMN in any of the def files I have for my 1.8t. What is it? Where is it?
vagenwerk

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »

catbed- i run on brand new set beru since 20 febuary , and about 2000km on them,  als was used about 15 maybe 25times, but flatshift was used quite often - because it is getting activ  during fast shifts,
also i run on lpg (propan butan) if it is important ?

catbed - what exactly you ground ? valve cover - acumulator ground ? and what else ?
catbed

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 01:48:10 PM »

catbed- i run on brand new set beru since 20 febuary , and about 2000km on them,  als was used about 15 maybe 25times, but flatshift was used quite often - because it is getting activ  during fast shifts,
also i run on lpg (propan butan) if it is important ?

catbed - what exactly you ground ? valve cover - acumulator ground ? and what else ?

I cleaned my grounds at the battery(chassis ground), at the valve cover, and below the coolant tank.
catbed

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

hmm... I can't find FTOMN in any of the def files I have for my 1.8t. What is it? Where is it?

Minimum dwell time? FTMON or FTOMN or summat
userpike

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »

Minimum dwell time? FTMON or FTOMN or summat
What's the address?  I searched both ways of the letters..I really don't have it.
coreyj03

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 06:33:49 AM »

You are running much to wide a spark plug gap. The only time i ran .040 is when i had 6ms dwell time on my retrofitted ls2 coils for the 1.8t.  I would run .028 or .032 max any more and you will keep killing coils.
vagenwerk

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »

I run  on 0.028  gap with pfr6q spark plugs, with ALS/NLS and i think als/nls kill coils.... yesterday next plug start to die... it comes from set which was working 2 months with als/nls, but from about 1 week i run without als/nls (coded out from bin) and i think that these coils were expose on dwell time =0 on als/nls and thats the problem which kill coils.. or maybe my als//nls code is wrong ?
ReiterPerf

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »

I know this is an old post but, I have been playing with a file on my girlfriends car. (2003 A4 318AK ecu) 10 days ago I threw in a set of 42lb injectors and changed the nef stg 1 tune for the injectors and AL/NLS. Then the next day I threw in a k04 and cat delete down pipe and worked on tunes till 7 days ago. 3 days ago she went on a longer drive (AL/NLS have not been tested since very first file) and it started to miss bad, coils were split(2L FSI coils). A friend came and brought her another set and it cooked them on the way home. When she got home we put stock coils in and a file disabling the AL/NLS even though it had not been used. The car ran fine in the driveway that night. The next morning on the way to take the kid to school it killed them, blew one right in half. Last night I put another set of stock coils in and let it idle for 10 min and the were smoking hot. Today I put my O scope on the coil trigger wire 10.8 MS. I decided to take a fresh file and put the new maps into it and delete the cat and re flash. Now it idles at 2.76ms, seems to be fine. I also never had the FTOMN less than .3. It never built boost either when originally tested. I think it had something to do with the code itself.
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »

Coils cannot get hot from NLS code, hot coils are overcharging. As you measured, 10ms is about 2x the maximum charging time the tfsi coils want to see. The nls code only sets 0ms at the coil dwell time when conditions are met.

prj

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 04:49:27 AM »

Coils cannot get hot from NLS code, hot coils are overcharging. As you measured, 10ms is about 2x the maximum charging time the tfsi coils want to see. The nls code only sets 0ms at the coil dwell time when conditions are met.

This information is incorrect. In some ECU's there is a bug/feature in the ignition coil driver. If you set the charge time to 0ms, it actually sets infinite charge time instead.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
gt-innovation

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 05:54:44 AM »

when was trying to figure out the code in the past and add some other features i accidentally replaced a registrar with another...although everything was working fine i had to replace my coild every 50 to 60km because they were getting hot and eventually die..well it didn`t took me long to compare it with the initial code and find my mistake but things can happen.

the 29f400 ecus can blow coils or even fuses too if set at 0.0
TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »

Okay, lets say I worded myself incorrectly. 0ms dwell cannot kill coils but ftomn 00 in a 512kb ecu will kill coils or blow fuses. I have used 01 ftomn in all my 512kb ecus, but I was more referring to this guys post who has a 2003 AK ecu. In his case, TSMX should be set to something more appropriate at least...but better to put new values in kftsrl
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:13:13 AM by TijnCU » Logged

TijnCU

flying brick

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »

Or did you happen to accidentally have some value like 6A in ftomn? Because that is a minimum coil dwell of 10.6
The lc nls code is very simple, all it does is zero tsrldyn ,if conditions are met, which then passes through ftomn afterwards. So basically the code could not cause the problem, only ftomn.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: